Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 15,031 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So I'm looking to join the military and I'm torn between these two branches. I want to be the best, and have the pride(Marines) but I do have a family and the Air Force apparently is better there. I have a son, and am about to marry my girlfriend so Inow I can enter. While there's more risk with the Marines, I feel the sense of pride jumps out at me and I also want my son to look up to his dad. Not sure which to do. Any advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,693 times
A.F. you will gain rank faster, rank ='s pay.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
Well, first you need to know what the service is called before they will let you in.

It is the United States Marine Corps.

A personal observation from a Navy veteran who has a job that puts me in touch with many vets...when I meet veterans of the Army they say "I was in the Army", when I meet Navy veterans they say "I was in the Navy", Marines say "I'm was a Marine" or "I was in the Corps". The Air Force vets for the most part are not so quick to volunteer what branch they were in and you normally have to pry it out of them. It makes me wonder if they are not as proud of their service as the other branches or feel others will not appreciate their service?

At the American Legion you can always tell the Air Force vets because you have to specifically ask them what branch they were in because they don't advertise it or volunteer the information.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianschoolcraft View Post
A.F. you will gain rank faster, rank ='s pay.
That isn't correct. The Air Force is the slowest of all four branches for advancement in the enlisted ranks.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,044,950 times
OP, it depends on what you want to do and what each branch may have to offer you. Not what pride or emotion you have for a branch.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 PM

595 posts, read 2,705,048 times
I'm very proud to tell people I served in the Air Force so way to generalize there.

As to the OP question, what sort of quality of life do you want? What does your girlfriend say about this? What sort of position are you thinking of? Do you want to be infantry or do you want to do more technical type work? I really cannot speak to how many different jobs there are in the USMC as I was in the AF and have been an AF spouse for going on 14 years. So I can definitely tell you about the AF. I feel the quality of life in the AF is pretty good. The base housing is decent at most bases and there is family support available. While we haven't been stationed overseas, there are a decent amount of overseas bases you could be stationed at depending upon your job. Now that my husband is a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer, he's less apt to have deploy overseas and works a M-F, 9-5 type position. However, he is an aircrew member and spent 220 days away from home for about 6 years straight when we were first married.

But first, I think you need to really evaluate why you want to enlist. If it's just to be proud of doing something, that's all well and good, but what if you hate it? What if your girlfriend decides she hates it? What will being in the military do for you? I'm all for people just wanting to serve, I went in to do just that. But I learned quickly that just having served in the military without having a plan for afterwards won't get you far. So my point is that researching which jobs are available in both branches and what those positions can do for you after would be the best course of action.

Just my two cents...

Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
I'm very proud to tell people I served in the Air Force so way to generalize there.
As I said, it is my personal observation. I have no idea what the reason for this is so I'm left to deduct why I always have to ask Air Force vets what branch they were in.

I see lots of old vets wearing Navy (ship) ball caps, USMC ball caps and even some Army ball caps. I NEVER see any old vets in Air Force ball caps walking around. I thank the old vets for their service when I see them in a service hat so it is something I pay attention to. I live right next to a large Air Force Base so you would think I would see a lot around here but I don't.

Not a generalization, just my observation which may be of interest to the OP since he/she mentioned "pride" in his criteria.

I'm not taking anything away from your service or any other USAF vet. Just wondering why they do not advertise their service as much as vets from other branches.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 PM

595 posts, read 2,705,048 times
Perhaps they don't feel the need to advertise it like the rest? I doubt it's lack of pride. Just a thought since we're opining...

Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,031 times
I basically am looking to do it for 1) the experience. 2) See a new location and 3) The education benefit. I plan to serve then go to school afterwards. As far as me or my girlfriend potentially hating it, this may happen, but we won't know unless we try it. Who knows, I could join and love it and stay in. Could be the exact opposite. I've looked at jobs on both and my mind is open. Not exactly looking at infantry, or too technical. I'd be quite content doing supplies or something like that. Whether it's security forces, or load master (I know more air force job names than Marine jobs).

Plus the benefits will help my family in general. So basically, open to jobs, want to go for the benefits, travel(not Navy travel though) and the experience. I have done a good amount of research on both, but I still can't decide.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,421,814 times
You should be proud regardless of which branch of service that you choose. Just remember this.....Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Me? United States Marine Corps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues