Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times

Advertisements

Considering that some of these wars were morally wrong, he could certainly find something else to lie about. There are prison sites for pen pals romance and the convicts have great descriptions of themselves. If he is on Facebook or something OUT him so others won't be burned.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:43 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Air Force was doing 4 month deployments for a long time. Navy deployments were 6 mos or 1 year. Most Army deployments are 1 year, but a couple of folks did 6 mos, and 3 or 4 lucky units got 15 month unit deployments.

Best case 3 deployments is 18 mos, and generally you would have a year or two between, so unless he was a volunteer for consecutive deployments, he would have served a minimum of 4.5 years.

Generally it was Navy officers or spec ops (SEAL Teams etc.) that were deployed in OEF or OIF.

Gulf War I was about 72 hours long in late 1990, so I am assuming this is what he is referring to. However, there were no Iraq stationed forces, no multiple rotations or deployments, and to my knowledge, no Navy seamen were integrated into the Army fighting units.

The war has been hard on marriages because of deployments and separations, but there are a lot of good men who have found themselves single courtesy of Uncle Sam's requirements for their service.

Find a vet with an honorable service record, don't waste your time on this poser.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinafromIndiana View Post
My boyfriend says he was in the Navy, did 3 tours in Iraq, was shot 3 times and was eventually sent to Leavenworth, Kansas to do 23 months, building coffins, in prison for assault on a Superior and, was released from Leavenworth in 1999 on a "Conditional Discharge" which means he gets some benefits, but not all benefits. Does any of this jive?
I can not tell you how many people have claimed to be veterans to take part in the latest fad of "Vet Worship". Most veterans will spot the fakers in short order. I also have to tell you that I have met more than my share of fake veterans who actually were telling the truth. Somewhere along the line, their mental state got twisted and their vision of their service is what they think it is. I even met a veteran who claimed to have been a cook but it turned out he was a 3 time combat veteran with a Silver Star.

Was he in the Navy? Did he do 3 tours in Iraq? Was he shot 3 times? Was he incarcerated in Levenworth for the offense he stated? I don't know. It all sound a little dicy, but based on my personal experiences with veterans, it also sounds possible. Lets not forget all how we demonized those looney veterans from Vietnam with their BS war stories that turned out to be true afterall.

Does it matter if the stories are about being a military serveman or about being a UCLA star basketball player? If you have issues about the truthfullness of his statements; what, where, and how isn't the issue......

Old 04-13-2014, 05:07 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
People who talk the most about their combat experiences are generally those with the least experience. I'm guessing he also told you he was a Navy SEAL? I also don't know what Iraq he deployed to 3 times prior to 1999 as we didn't invade Iraq until 2003.

He's lying but let's pretend it's all true-- why would you want to date a convicted felon?
^^^That. If you have to worry about someone's truthfulness about such important life history, why would you ever get involved with him?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Air Force was doing 4 month deployments for a long time. Navy deployments were 6 mos or 1 year. Most Army deployments are 1 year, but a couple of folks did 6 mos, and 3 or 4 lucky units got 15 month unit deployments.

Best case 3 deployments is 18 mos, and generally you would have a year or two between, so unless he was a volunteer for consecutive deployments, he would have served a minimum of 4.5 years.

Generally it was Navy officers or spec ops (SEAL Teams etc.) that were deployed in OEF or OIF.

Gulf War I was about 72 hours long in late 1990, so I am assuming this is what he is referring to. However, there were no Iraq stationed forces, no multiple rotations or deployments, and to my knowledge, no Navy seamen were integrated into the Army fighting units.

The war has been hard on marriages because of deployments and separations, but there are a lot of good men who have found themselves single courtesy of Uncle Sam's requirements for their service.

Find a vet with an honorable service record, don't waste your time on this poser.
Saw lots of Navy Seabees when I was in Kuwait.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
People who talk the most about their combat experiences are generally those with the least experience. In public maybe, but to a significant other it's a common conversation.

I'm guessing he also told you he was a Navy SEAL? I also don't know what Iraq he deployed to 3 times prior to 1999 as we didn't invade Iraq until 2003.

He's lying but let's pretend it's all true-- why would you want to date a convicted felon?
People make mistakes, do their time, and can come out better people.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Um....shouldn't your question/concern really be, "Is he a CONVICT or not?"

Old 04-13-2014, 08:20 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Um....shouldn't your question/concern really be, "Is he a CONVICT or not?"
He admitted to being a convict. Why would that be the question?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Everything he's said so far seems so honest and likely.

I would seriously doubt he was ever in the military OR served time at Leavenworth.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:11 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinafromIndiana View Post
My boyfriend says he was in the Navy, did 3 tours in Iraq, was shot 3 times and was eventually sent to Leavenworth, Kansas to do 23 months, building coffins, in prison for assault on a Superior and, was released from Leavenworth in 1999 on a "Conditional Discharge" which means he gets some benefits, but not all benefits. Does any of this jive?
Honey, if the above information you gave us to help you with isn't enough to get you to turn and run the other way, NOTHING we could give you in the way of clarification would make much difference IMHO....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues