Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM

316 posts, read 665,804 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a military household until the age of 15. I have been trying to locate all of my juvenile medical & dental records from that time, but to no avail. I submitted a request form to National Personnel Record Center a few years ago but they stated they had no records on file for me (I replied stating that I had visited several military hospitals for medical attention during my childhood so there had to be records). Any ideas on how or where to go to get records of my complete medical history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt518 View Post
I submitted a request form to National Personnel Record Center a few years ago
Have you checked recently. Medical Treatment Records - for Military Retirees and Dependents (created at military medical facilities)

Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
As far as I know, before the digital age, all juvenile medical records are only kept until the age of 18. So I think it all depends on how old you are now. There might be an additional 7 years which was the requirement for adult records. Now that things are digitized, I think most can be kept indefinitely if not dumped due to data storage capacity. I tell the patients that I encounter to always ask for a copy of any medical records if possible. It's so much easier to keep a file on yourself instead of running around and trying to remember what you had done and where.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 AM

I have not. This all went on for several months and concluded with them saying they had no records on file. I relocated and left it at that, but it is something I would still like to resolve. That is the same form I filled out and submitted back then.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
As far as I know, before the digital age, all juvenile medical records are only kept until the age of 18. So I think it all depends on how old you are now. There might be an additional 7 years which was the requirement for adult records. Now that things are digitized, I think most can be kept indefinitely if not dumped due to data storage capacity. I tell the patients that I encounter to always ask for a copy of any medical records if possible. It's so much easier to keep a file on yourself instead of running around and trying to remember what you had done and where.
From what I understand, they supposedly have all medical & service records on file going back to the 50's. And keeping a file on myself is what I'm trying to do - I have everything else I could get, just need the childhood records.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I retired from the military (Army) in 1990. At some point before that we signed or read some document relating to our children's medical records, that they would stay with the U.S. Government or words to that effect. During my time in the service our children's medical records were never given to us when we changed duty station, they were transferred. My children were "military brats" for 17+ years. Not sure if any of that helps.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:03 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. That's what I thought - that the DOD transferred them. My parents have no knowledge about the records themselves, so the Gov must have them....somewhere. I guess I'll try that form again; if I remember correctly I may have listed the last duty station where I received care, and not necessarily the last duty station we lived at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues