Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 05:07 PM

23 posts, read 28,540 times

Advertisements

I think that is what its called anyway. My boyfriend recently reenlisted in the Army he is currently Infantry and stationed in HI his contract is up in July. He just got his Airborne school report date for May. He is hoping to get stationed at Ft. Richardson and from what he has been told this is a likely possibility. He is also hoping to take leave after training and before moving to Ft Richardson. This will be his first PCS (forgive me if I'm using these terms incorrectly) so he doesn't know anything about the process or the time frame of how long things will actually take. He has asked me to move with him and I've made the decision to go. I am and always have been a huge planner, but in this case I have very limited information to help with this particular situation. I have sooo many questions.
where to begin?
First I'm aware that airborne training is 3 weeks long, will he have to come back to HI after that before going to his next duty station? If so for how long? He said something about clearing papers?

Is it reasonable to think he will be able to take leave after that before AK?

Being that we aren't married we won't be living on base but he currently does, he's an E4 but will probably be promoted before airborne school. If he isn't promoted will he be able to apply for BAH?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:55 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
With as much time as he has in the military, time should know how to get answers to your questions. Even if he gets promoted, he'll be in barracks at Airborne school. Plus he'll be working long hours. Highly suggest you stay in Hawaii until he finishes school.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:47 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,170 times
Unless you two plan to be married prior to his PCS to school, then I suggest you stay where you are. It would be foolish to follow him stateside for a 3 week school, then move across the country again to Alaska, all on your own dime, btw. The military will not pay for your travel. Only your boyfriends. The only way he'll receive BAH is if he lives off base. If he's unmarried, then unless he's an NCO, chances are he'll have to remain in the barracks. Also, just because something in the military seems likely, doesn't mean it's a done deal. Orders get canceled all the time.

I have no idea if he'll be able to take leave after training and before he moves.

Stay where you are, wait to be engaged and married, and let the military move you.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachey_lynn View Post
He is hoping to get stationed at Ft. Richardson and from what he has been told this is a likely possibility.
He will go to Ft. Richardson if and when he gets orders for Ft. Richardson. No sooner. That is a fact...

Old 02-05-2015, 01:13 PM

23 posts, read 28,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
With as much time as he has in the military, time should know how to get answers to your questions. Even if he gets promoted, he'll be in barracks at Airborne school. Plus he'll be working long hours. Highly suggest you stay in Hawaii until he finishes school.
I wouldn't be going with him to Georgia for training, I'd either stay in HI or move back to CA where we are from and stay with family. My question regarding the living situation was for after airborne school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues