Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 07:12 PM

82 posts, read 272,949 times

Advertisements

In 1988 when I was young and foolish, I did not push myself hard enough- I joined the Navy, but washed out after boot camp in Great Lakes. I thought I got an ELS (entry level separation), as I was in under 180 days- but sometime around 2006 when I talked to recruiter (I was thinking of a second try of enlisting, but decided against it as I had a lot of weight to lose)- she said on the phone I was listed as having a General discharge and the time listed as served was years. I was in less than 180 days!
I figured that as some paperwork bug and moved on- I really did not like to think about my time in the Navy, it was my greatest failure, and some years later when I faced that failure and decided I would reenlist, I was told I was too old .

Now am looking into work that may have some background checks, and need to get the nature of my discharge in order.
Is the military known to screw up its records?

If I actually have a General discharge, I would think Id qualify for VA benefits- but I was in less than 180 days. Sadly paperwork I got when I left the Navy is long gone. Who should I talk to figure it out?

Is it possible to wash out in less than 180 days and get a General discharge instead of an ELS? Sounds like a clerical error

Did the military make any mistakes on your military record?
I once worked with a woman who received an Honorable Discharge when she left the US Coast Guard, but years later was horrified to find someone screwed up her paperwork and it was listed as Dishonorable Discharge. The 2 years I knew her at work she was fighting to change it, but hit one roadblock after another.

Not giving my all and staying in the Navy is the biggest regret of my life- I'm too old now to reenlist, but hope to work as a civilian in tandem with our military- that's why I need the issues of my record addressed.

Last edited by Snallygaster; 06-01-2015 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 09:59 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Go to your nearest VA service center and have them pull your records. You can also get it electronically via OMPF; here's the link: Ordering and Reviewing Your OMPF

Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Go to your nearest VA service center and have them pull your records. You can also get it electronically via OMPF; here's the link: Ordering and Reviewing Your OMPF

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 AM

A General Discharge is one of the most confusing, misunderstood, misapplied and overly messed up discharge the military has. As a result, only a few actually understand what it means and when it is given. It is also the most revised discharge in the history of the military. I wish they would do away with it or break it into several discharges so it's clearer why a person received one.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

Ill do that- I ordered my records online and mailed my signature, but told that can take up to a month to process- id like to find out this week, id bring my ID, birth certificate an such. a local VA hospital or center would be willing to pull up records if I have my ID?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:51 PM

I'm not sure what they will be able to do for you. You can also try and see if you can register for eBenefits, a joint DOD & VA program. If you are granted login, some of your basic military information will be propagated to your registration so you can at least printout a certificate of service. If you are given access, there are additional more detailed information that can be accessed via the DOD system, but you will need to be officially verified for that information and that can be done when you go to your VA service center.

So, try this also: eBenefits Homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues