Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 AM

16 posts, read 28,356 times

Advertisements

Hi, I had some questions on how it is being a WO helicopter pilot in the Army. I am highly considering this as I need a change in careers and long considered the military. Some people say WO are the best of both worlds that you don't get buried in the politics and you don't get stepped on endlessly.

What is a typical day like? How much flying do you do, how much BS do you have to deal with? Were most happy or wanting to get out? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:45 AM

231 posts, read 630,402 times
I wasn't a WO but was an aviation commander flying Cobras and OH-58s in Europe during the cold war. WOs are the backbone of every Army Aviation Battalion. WOs are considered to be the experts in their field be it flying, medical, technical or maintenance. They (should) focus on improving their skills in their fields and are usually less knowledgeable in other areas. As a Commissioned Officer, I was trained in infantry combat skills, marksmanship (WO qualified with pistols), combat tactics, etc. WOs are 'officers' and still participate doing admin officer duties. But like senior enlisted, W4s are still subordinate to a lowly 2nd LT. Cobras always flew with two pilots be it WOs or WO and plt ldr. Our OH-58's always flew with one pilot (WO or LT/Cpt/Maj) and a trained enlisted scout\observer.

You will find your classmates at flight school are mostly recent high school graduates. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:07 AM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
I would also like to add that it also depends on how you want to end your career. For instance, some soldiers go in enlisted, get to E-6 and then transition to a WO. They decide to not pursue a senior NCO position, and are happy being a WO.

If you are not interested in rising up the officer ranks, and have no desire to ever get into command, go for it. If you feel that you would like to be a career soldier, then I would finish school and then pursue becoming an officer after you have a degree.

When I was in the Navy, the Army heavily recruited enlisted sailors for the WO program.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:47 PM

I am late 20s and have a college degree, not saying better than anyone simply for reference to my question.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:28 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank3 View Post
Some people say WO are the best of both worlds that you don't get buried in the politics and you don't get stepped on endlessly.
Was that from real WO rotary pilots?

Quote:
What is a typical day like? How much flying do you do, how much BS do you have to deal with? Were most happy or wanting to get out? Thanks.
It depends on where you are stationed. If you fear any "BS" don't bother to go into the military. I guess there are irritants in all jobs, it also depends on the personality... My wife and I are both "Private Pilots" and owned a plane for about 10 years. We were amazed how many professional pilots don't eat and dream flying. Maybe because they haven't flown a Cessna 150H at dawn to go eat crummy pancakes at an EAA fly in?

During my 22 years in the Army I probably rode in choppers 50 times? Camp Red Cloud Korea, Osan AB Korea, Fort Mead, Fort Ritchie, .... Ah, how could I forget my four months at Fort Rucker in 84 for the advanced course.

Go for it! Accept it! The military is an experience you will never forget!

ADDED: Ahhhh... I forgot all the chopper induced dust I ate at my brief moment's at Fort Hood...

Old 12-10-2015, 09:09 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Was that from real WO rotary pilots?

It depends on where you are stationed. If you fear any "BS" don't bother to go into the military. I guess there are irritants in all jobs, it also depends on the personality... My wife and I are both "Private Pilots" and owned a plane for about 10 years. We were amazed how many professional pilots don't eat and dream flying. Maybe because they haven't flown a Cessna 150H at dawn to go eat crummy pancakes at an EAA fly in?

During my 22 years in the Army I probably rode in choppers 50 times? Camp Red Cloud Korea, Osan AB Korea, Fort Mead, Fort Ritchie, .... Ah, how could I forget my four months at Fort Rucker in 84 for the advanced course.

Go for it! Accept it! The military is an experience you will never forget!

ADDED: Ahhhh... I forgot all the chopper induced dust I ate at my brief moment's at Fort Hood...
I know this is off-topic, belongs in "Aviation" forum, but I have known many military and airline pilots who weren't that much into aviation. One got into it only because he thought flying an F-16 would be cool, and didn't do particularly well. (His ANG unit later kicked him out) I agree, Poncho, how can anyone get into aviation with being into it at the same time? I was a private pilot in high school (senior year) and had ~200 hours when I went to USAF pilot training. In college I had four priorities, in varying order depending on my disposable income that day, cars, flying, beer, and women. A lot of the time flying jumped to first place. (It helped having a girlfriend who was also a sailplane pilot, two birds, one stone.)

My last assignment was at nearby Fort Sill, and I worked a lot with warrants. They seemed very happy with their lot in life, especially the aviators (although at Sill they were generally there for class since Sill has no aviation assets.) The majority of OH-58 aviators I flew with both as a lieutenant A-10 pilot and as a captain FAC were warrants as well, and it seems like they fast-tracked to the cockpit without having to do all that officer stuff pilots generally detest.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:16 PM

Poncho, is your post legitimate? I can't tell if you are actually recommending it or not.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Poncho, is your post legitimate? I can't tell if you are actually recommending it or not.
My post is absolutely legitimate. Why would it not be?

If you qualify and want to be an Army Helicopter Pilot, then go for it!

Flight Warrant Officers | goarmy.com

Here are some official U.S. Army Aviation Officer Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmfdQOF7wkE

Good luck!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-11-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 AM

One thing is EVERY time I hear a helicopter I go outside to watch them, is this normal or a sign of me liking them? I took a helicopter lesson and it was pretty sick going over the cliffs being so high up.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:07 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
One thing is EVERY time I hear a helicopter I go outside to watch them, is this normal or a sign of me liking them? I took a helicopter lesson and it was pretty sick going over the cliffs being so high up.
Nothing wrong with being an aviation fanatic... I was the same way as a kid whenever something flew over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues