Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 02:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times

Advertisements

What exactly do they do at the service academies? I am including both the federal ones such as West Pont and private ones like the Citadel. Is it basically the same style curriculum as a regular 4 yr university?

Do they teach you any war fighting skills, any strategy? Do you learn how to actually command troops in battle?

From what I gather from wiki, is it really is geared more toward academia, with boot camp mixed in. It does not seem like very advanced training, you think future military officers should and could receive in 4 years time. Apparently, only during the summer time, they have what can be considered their version of an internship, each cadet can go and spend time with an actual military unit doing what they do.

But seriously, they have 4 years, and should they not be getting even more in-depth military training like almost special forces like? If not, then why spend 4 years there?

Heck why is Uni or even High school 4 years? I will start another thread for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 03:38 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
http://www.usna.edu/Academics/Majors-and-Courses/

Included in the above majors are Military History, US Naval History as well as other military type courses which include Leadership.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What exactly do they do at the service academies? I am including both the federal ones such as West Pont and private ones like the Citadel. Is it basically the same style curriculum as a regular 4 yr university?

Do they teach you any war fighting skills, any strategy? Do you learn how to actually command troops in battle?

From what I gather from wiki, is it really is geared more toward academia, with boot camp mixed in. It does not seem like very advanced training, you think future military officers should and could receive in 4 years time. Apparently, only during the summer time, they have what can be considered their version of an internship, each cadet can go and spend time with an actual military unit doing what they do.

But seriously, they have 4 years, and should they not be getting even more in-depth military training like almost special forces like? If not, then why spend 4 years there?

Heck why is Uni or even High school 4 years? I will start another thread for that.
At least in the Army, I know that West Point grads get their in depth training through the officer training schools/courses such as Officer Basic. They attend these schools alongside officers commissioned through ROTC and OCS. You have to remember that Army officers are assigned to a specific specialty upon commission (e.g. infantry, armor, quartermaster, signal, etc.), so "in-depth training needs" can't be assessed until then.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
At least in the Army, I know that West Point grads get their in depth training through the officer training schools/courses such as Officer Basic. They attend these schools alongside officers commissioned through ROTC and OCS. You have to remember that Army officers are assigned to a specific specialty upon commission (e.g. infantry, armor, quartermaster, signal, etc.), so "in-depth training needs" can't be assessed until then.
Then why not let them choose upon entering the academies? Arent they already sworn in by then anyways?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
http://www.usna.edu/Academics/Majors-and-Courses/

Included in the above majors are Military History, US Naval History as well as other military type courses which include Leadership.
The site lists various STEM majors which you can get at a regular University. So what is the point of the service academies then? It seems like they make give you the same university education, but they add in some very strict guidelines on what to do, when to do it, how to walk, how to dress. Looks like a waste of resources and time.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Then why not let them choose upon entering the academies? Arent they already sworn in by then anyways?
They are not commissioned officers upon entering the academy. You seem to be confusing the officer corps with enlisted service.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
The site lists various STEM majors which you can get at a regular University. So what is the point of the service academies then? It seems like they make give you the same university education, but they add in some very strict guidelines on what to do, when to do it, how to walk, how to dress. Looks like a waste of resources and time.
It's a valid debate. Ideally, the service academies help develop career officers by integrating one into the culture of the armed forces early while obtaining an undergraduate education. I believe the stats show, however, that more career officers come from ROTC.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:17 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
But I think more General Officers come from the Academy. or more officers from the Academy who do not make it a career slide over to executive jobs in industry. AKA ringknockers.

have no statistics to back that up, just my experience.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:08 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
But I think more General Officers come from the Academy. or more officers from the Academy who do not make it a career slide over to executive jobs in industry. AKA ringknockers.

have no statistics to back that up, just my experience.

Most officers commissioned through OCS/ROTC (at least in the Navy) are Reserve officers. Academy graduates are regular Navy.

That plays a part in promotion and retention. When forces are being drawn down (as they are now) Academy graduates have a leg up for both.

Although hidden somewhat, a hierarchy does exist.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:05 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Their purpose is to create military officers. Do you really think any uni would be able to do that? West Point and those other military academies are for the elite of the elite in any case, you need a Congressman to recommend you, so there really is no comparison to a regular uni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues