Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 23,713 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if recruiters will look down on me because of my age/family? I realize that I'm starting late, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I'd like to get a medical job - I hear the best shot at that is going Open-General? I realize that I could end up with any job though. Thanks for your help guys!

- Turned 38 in August of 2016
- Wife works in a dental office and can use her license in a lot of other states
- 2 kids 10 and 8, they're up for it
- What about doing 20? Is that possible for me? I think about doing my first contract then going reserve and using the school benefits for graduate school or possibly doing 20...

Last edited by sidijoe; 11-14-2016 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 04:32 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
I suggest you talk to a recruiter who is up on the current regulations.
Way back when I was a Navy recruiter, the answer would have been NO, unless you qualified for an advanced paygrade. Back then, you had to be E-4 over 4 to even have a wife, much less two kids as well.
I really doubt that the AF will accept you, but you will have to talk to a recruiter to know for sure.
Good luck.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:44 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidijoe View Post
I'm wondering if recruiters will look down on me because of my age/family? I realize that I'm starting late, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I'd like to get a medical job - I hear the best shot at that is going Open-General? I realize that I could end up with any job though. Thanks for your help guys!

- Wife works in a dental office and can use her license in a lot of other states
- What about doing 20? Is that possible for me? I think about doing my first contract then going reserve and using the school benefits for graduate school or possibly doing 20...
Do you have any medical experience so far, or training at least?

I *think* the age requirements are less stringent for people on track to be a doctor or chaplain.

No doubt a local phone call to your friendly local recruiter will answer your question though.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:

From the Air Force webpage at: https://www.airforce.com/how-to-join...t-requirements

Quote:
Age requirements vary depending on the path you choose to take. Plan the timing of your application to be sure you are age-eligible for service.

To enlist, you cannot be younger than 17 (18 for GED holders) or older than 39 years of age.
To join as an Officer, you cannot be younger than 18 or older than 34 years of age.
To join as a healthcare, law or ministry professional, you cannot be younger than 18 or older than 48 years of age.
and read the whole page: https://www.airforce.com/how-to-join...t-requirements

Quote:
Marriage and dependents

Both officer and enlisted Air Force applicants may be married at the time you join. However, you must plan to be away from your spouse

Old 11-14-2016, 10:08 PM

I have EMT and CNA certifications and a lot of college credit but not a bachelors degree. I'd expect that I'd go in as an E-3. If they gave me a different job that's fine though, I'll pick up clinical time at some point in the future.

I know that 39 is the age limit so I think 'technically' I should be good but I worry that being older is undesirable and thus my application just won't be submitted. I'll definitely call a recruiter just wanted to get your guy's take...

Old 11-15-2016, 04:15 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
If your family is on board, you are thinking about it this hard and qualify, and you don't do it, you'll always wonder 'what if'.

To this day, there are still people I knew back in my 20s who like to think out loud about how their life would have been if they had joined. Those who were in for one term talk about what if they had stayed.

It's not always nice and it's not always roses, but on the balance was an amazingly interesting career.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:39 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
Quote:
I have EMT and CNA certifications and a lot of college credit but not a bachelors degree. I'd expect that I'd go in as an E-3. If they gave me a different job that's fine though, I'll pick up clinical time at some point in the future.

I know that 39 is the age limit so I think 'technically' I should be good but I worry that being older is undesirable and thus my application just won't be submitted. I'll definitely call a recruiter just wanted to get your guy's take...
I honestly can't imagine enlisting in any branch of service at your age. I'm not trying to be mean, but it would depend on your temperament. In basic alone, you'll likely have a dorm chief and an element leader that's an 18 or 19 year old kid. Would you be OK with someone that age telling you what to do and how to do it and getting on to you when you mess up? Because, that's how it goes in basic. The training instructors don't babysit you the entire time, because they appoint kids in your flight to do so.

Then after training, you'll be an E-3 at nearly 40 and have to take orders from a 20 something staff sergeant. More than likely, you'll be stuck at E-3 for three years. I'm not sure too many guys would be comfortable with that as a career.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:47 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,333,776 times
YES, we take through age 39 (up to 40th birthday). Call a recruiter. Good luck!! For enlisting there is no application competition, if you are qualified you can join, period.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
YES, we take through age 39 (up to 40th birthday). Call a recruiter. Good luck!! For enlisting there is no application competition, if you are qualified you can join, period.
Awesome, thank you!!

Old 11-15-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I honestly can't imagine enlisting in any branch of service at your age. I'm not trying to be mean, but it would depend on your temperament. In basic alone, you'll likely have a dorm chief and an element leader that's an 18 or 19 year old kid. Would you be OK with someone that age telling you what to do and how to do it and getting on to you when you mess up? Because, that's how it goes in basic. The training instructors don't babysit you the entire time, because they appoint kids in your flight to do so.

Then after training, you'll be an E-3 at nearly 40 and have to take orders from a 20 something staff sergeant. More than likely, you'll be stuck at E-3 for three years. I'm not sure too many guys would be comfortable with that as a career.
Ill be ok with that stuff, I work with a lot of young guys, when I do recognize immature decision making it rolls off of me pretty easily. I do everything I can to help young guys in leadership.

Physically ill be ok too, I grapple, I swim, I run, I lift weights. I look 10 years younger than I am lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues