Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 12:50 PM

217 posts, read 283,566 times

Advertisements

I've decided that I want to either enlist into the Army and either be a Dog Handler or do something in carpentry and construction, or join the Navy and become a Seabee. Part of my desire to join the Army is because I heard they will ship me the quickest, but if I can find a way to wait for 4-12 months, I would rather become a Seabee.

I plan on talking to a Navy recruiter soon, but I've heard of how recruiters can promise I will get a position, have me wait for a year, and then just put me in another MOS last minute. I want to know, is there a general DEP wait time for a Navy Seabee position? What are my chances of becoming one?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 06:40 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
It sounds like you may be getting some information second hand. Your best bet is to figure out what you want, talk to recruiters, go over all the different possible scenarios and outcomes, compare the different branches after you have the information available to make an informed and educated decision and then decide what to do.

talk to a navy recruiter, talk to an army recruiter, talk to a marine recruiter, talk to an air force recruiter. Compare the differences. Ask a lot of questions. Find what is the best fit for you.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:19 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
While it is true that I was a Navy Recruiter (over 30 years ago), I certainly can not advise you now.
I was a Construction Mechanic First Class (Seabee) when I retired, but I still can't give any advice other than what has already been said:
Go talk to a Navy recruiter, find out what the qualifications are for the Seabees. The physical requirements may be difficult for some people, you may want to start a training regimen to be sure you can fulfill the requirements.
Do the same with an Army recruiter, but zero in on the qualifications for the Combat Engineers. Again, be sure you understand the physical requirements for the job.
For either Seabees or Combat Engineers, there may also be academic requirements. Be sure you meet those, as well.
There may be Vocational Aptitude testing that you will have to pass to be considered for those jobs.
The recruiter can guide you through all those (and possibly others) requirements and quirks.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues