Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 921 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a few questions about the military. To start out, I'm thinking about joining the army. I'm not 100% set on that branch and may change after some research, but as of right now, it's what I'm going with. Okay, so here's what I've got.

1. How likely am I to be deployed? And is it more likely in reserves or active? How long do deployments last? Are there certain jobs that don't deploy/deploy less? And lastly, are there certain branches that deploy less? The only reason I ask is because I have two dogs. My boyfriend plans on joining the Air Force, so if we both got deployed, I'm not exactly sure what we'd do. And getting rid of them is absolutely out of the question.

2. Okay, next. I will have my Associates degree in Criminal Justice next year around summer. I was told to sign up before getting my degree, because they'll give you a hard time because you aren't deserving of a higher rank. Any truth to this?

3. I want to join the police as well. The main goal is to be a detective. I was told if I'm in the reserves, I can still join the police, is that true? And for anyone who knows a bit more about police, if I join the military, will that help me become a detective faster at all?

4. Are there certain jobs you can't do while in the reserves?

I may have more questions later, but that's it for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:26 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba117 View Post
Hello, I have a few questions about the military. To start out, I'm thinking about joining the army. I'm not 100% set on that branch and may change after some research, but as of right now, it's what I'm going with. Okay, so here's what I've got.

1. How likely am I to be deployed? And is it more likely in reserves or active? How long do deployments last? Are there certain jobs that don't deploy/deploy less? And lastly, are there certain branches that deploy less? The only reason I ask is because I have two dogs. My boyfriend plans on joining the Air Force, so if we both got deployed, I'm not exactly sure what we'd do. And getting rid of them is absolutely out of the question.

2. Okay, next. I will have my Associates degree in Criminal Justice next year around summer. I was told to sign up before getting my degree, because they'll give you a hard time because you aren't deserving of a higher rank. Any truth to this?

3. I want to join the police as well. The main goal is to be a detective. I was told if I'm in the reserves, I can still join the police, is that true? And for anyone who knows a bit more about police, if I join the military, will that help me become a detective faster at all?

are you familiar with the term Military "service"?

What was it Kennedy said.........." ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country?"

You need to read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._of_enlistment

Old 08-30-2017, 09:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
No one knows the answer for that. It depends on your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty). It depends on your unit. It depends on when a decision is made to deploy.

Quote:
Bull.

I would pretty much ignore where that advice comes from.

You gonna wait a year to get your degree? I would go in as soon as possible. Go for Military Police. It is possible to finish up or get a degree while you are in the mititary.

Quote:
The U.S. Army does not have police. They Are Military Police. They are investigators. Some of the assignments can be boring. If you truly want to become a police officer or a "detective" as a civilian, your honorable military experience can help. You can work up to this in the Army: U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command

Quote:
I am sure there are. But I am not aware of them. I served continuous active duty Army from 1968 to 1990.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
OP

If your boyfriend is AF and you are Army, chances are slim for co-assignment in the first place and unlikely at all without a marriage license.

I get you with your dogs, but you do realize that you will be required to live in barracks for a long time and therefore they couldn't go with you?

If being deployed concerns you, then be aware when you enter the military service you are agreeing to service to the country in a military manner. We fight elsewhere to prevent fighting here on our shores. and even with that, at least in the Army we have protracted training even if assigned in the states where you are sent somewhere else. You go where the Army sends you and you may be called upon to be deployed at any time.

If you want to be a detective (i think you said) military service would certainly help you on the police force in many ways, but you can enter the police force and work your way up without having served.

If you are asking for recommendations from those who have been there, my suggestion is to finish your college and apply to your local police department or wherever you want to serve as a police officer. If there is a reserve MP unit near you, perhaps talk with them and see what they can do. But you are still looking at long times away from home, family, dogs, and boyfriend.IMO what your boyfriend choses to do should not be a factor in your decisions at this point in your life. Odds are you two will go different paths and if you were my daughter I wouldn't want you tied to someone who may not be on your path in the end. just saying

Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:

1. I'm reading this as "I want the benefits and pats on the back that come with military service but I don't want to deploy because I'll be away from home and possibly get hurt/killed." Of course you'll say differently, people like you always do. I've been around a lot of people like you. I get that impression because of #3. Sounds like veterans were hired before you and you want in on the game but you don't want to go all in.

2. Who told you that?

3. Civilian police and military are different. While a lot of cops like referring to citizens as civilians, cops are civilians themselves unless they are in the military. Being a civil service job, a veteran might get more points on the civil service test but there are different requirements. Some will require a certain number of years of continuous active duty military service. So the guys milking the reserves for 10 years, there are plenty of them, who have never deployed, do not get those preference points.

4. Combat arms jobs: Infantry, Field Artillery and Armor units are National Guard jobs.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
OP...you do not have the right outlook on military service. You need to look into something else to do with your time. Your dogs will not matter nor will there ever be a conversation about what is best for your dogs. You're going to be told what to do and where to go and you will have to juggle everything, including your family, to go where and when you're told.

You won't be able to have dogs during training and duty stations where you're required to live in the barracks.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Having pets while in the military is very difficult and can get expensive. I deployed to Afghanistan for a year and paid over $2k for someone to watch my dog since I didn't have anyone I wanted to lay that task on. Finding housing can be difficult as well. Some units require single Service Members to live in barracks and don't provide for off-post housing where you can keep your dog.

In Germany there were so many stories of Soldiers leaving their dogs tied up outside and ditching them for the Germans to take care of because they were deploying or returning to the US. Pretty pathetic thing to do, imo.

Get your AA degree BEFORE joining and get an extra stripe (that's what I did). You get paid more and who knows, possibly get more opportunities to use your education. Keep your goals (Detective) but realize you'll likely be doing security work (gate gate or otherwise) early in your career. Opportunity comes to those with initiative, motivation, and aptitude.

I expect we'll be in Afghanistan for several more years so you can pretty well expect to be deployed. If I recall, AF deploys for shorter spans. Military police definitely do deploy.

My medical unit was replaced by a reserve unit in Afghanistan and they were there for a year. While in Afghanistan we unfortunately cared for Soldiers from National Guard/Reserves who suffered fatal wounds from an IED. Being reservist at one time mean never deploying. Nowadays, I'm pretty sure they're doing their share of going to war zones.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:

Longggggg road before "detective". You're thinking way too far ahead. And no, nothing will make a road to detective faster.

Seems like your questions don't really equal wanting a military life. I'd choose something else.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:19 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
First question
Quote:
1. How likely am I to be deployed?
It is very likely. As we enter new rounds to Afghanistan and Iraq as well as a few hot zones in Africa expect to be deployed. Even as a reservist or national guardsmen you are required to deploy when called. As active duty army it is a given. As a reservist you could be deployed by adding you to a unit that needs your job specialty. As a guardsmen you will deploy if your unit gets deployed or your MOS is needed in one of your state's deploying units if they need it. Your reserve unit could be deployed as well so as a reservist you're just as likely to be deployed as anyone.

If you decide to join the weekend warriors I suggest going National Guard. Here is my points as to why. I said above that as a reservist you could get pulled individually or collectively as a squad or platoon or any size element to join a deploying unit from across the country. Reservists are augments to the active service. Guard units are the equivalent so you get to go with your friends. Guardsmen get deployed like in Texas for natural disasters. But if you are a first responder in your primary job like fire or police you will be excused without repercussion because of your job. We work in concert with responders while performing the tasks at hand.

I was 30 years national guard and 8 years active duty.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:31 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:

The military is all about deploying. Some branches may deploy less, some more. Some jobs will deploy less, some more.

The minute you start asking how to deploy less, you will be seen in a negative light. It is kind of insulting to guys who deploy a lot.

It is really a roll of the dice though.

Quote:
... 2. Okay, next. I will have my Associates degree in Criminal Justice next year around summer. I was told to sign up before getting my degree, because they'll give you a hard time because you aren't deserving of a higher rank. Any truth to this?
It makes no difference. You can finish your AS while you are on Active Duty. Many service members finish degrees while serving, I did.

Quote:
... 3. I want to join the police as well. The main goal is to be a detective. I was told if I'm in the reserves, I can still join the police, is that true? And for anyone who knows a bit more about police, if I join the military, will that help me become a detective faster at all?
During two tours of my career, I served as Navy Police [NEC 9545]. I saw a lot of NPs who were reservists that had full-time jobs back home in Police Departments.

Quote:
... 4. Are there certain jobs you can't do while in the reserves?
Not that I am aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues