Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2022, 01:35 PM

39 posts, read 80,982 times

Advertisements

Hello, first time posting in this section!

I am a female veteran and also a senior. I am trying to find housing for myself in a senior or veteran run complex.

So far I have found a few in my neck of the woods but they are not quite what I am looking for. One is very run down, but just starting out and the other is huge but very very old and could use some updating.

Is there anywhere in the US that has outstanding veteran run apartment complex's or even single housing units that are really nice?

I don't even know where to look, and how to google this.

I just don't make enough to stay in any other kind of housing and sustain me rents and houses are so expensive and on the rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 03:54 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
https://www.liveatstmichaelsveteranscenter.com/

Old 11-27-2022, 07:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I am a retired servicemember, I own an apartment building with 12 apartments. Most of them are tiny single-occupancy efficiencies [1bdrm, 1 bath, kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave, hotplate, and sink], and there is a shared laundry room. I charge $450 a month, and that includes heat and electricity.

Some of our tenants are vets, and most of them are formerly homeless.

Old 11-27-2022, 04:54 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am a retired servicemember, I own an apartment building with 12 apartments. Most of them are tiny single-occupancy efficiencies [1bdrm, 1 bath, kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave, hotplate, and sink], and there is a shared laundry room. I charge $450 a month, and that includes heat and electricity.

Some of our tenants are vets, and most of them are formerly homeless.
Do you or have you considered a military or vet discount? Point being is a “better” renter being a veteran (less hassle, more punctual, etc.).

Old 11-27-2022, 05:33 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Do you or have you considered a military or vet discount? Point being is a “better” renter being a veteran (less hassle, more punctual, etc.).
We did the math to figure out how much we need to cover annual property taxes, insurance and utilities. To charge any less, would mean that I must pay out of my pocket for the tenants. We can not go any less.

We have had many vets. Vets are NOT 'less hassle'. When they have mental breaks, they need to go to the VA hospital or to a mental hospital. A number of times social workers call us to tell us that our tenants have been re-hospitalized and they ask about the procedure to get back into their apartments [so we have had to hold empty apartments waiting for when the vet gets released]. When tenants have gotten beds at VA hospitals we have always let them out of their leases to go for treatment.

I am a military retiree. My pension is ~ $1,800 a month. I can not afford to give up part of my income to provide housing for other vets.

We have never seen any 'profit' from owning this apartment building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues