Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times

Advertisements

My daughter is enlisting in the Marines and I was with her when her recruiter 'ran down a list' of MOS choices.

It wasn't what was said...it was what wasn't said.

I know there are Marines who care for the horses...that's all they do.
There are Marines who work in the uniforms...making changes and updates.

These are just two examples.

Are these folks just doing that as part of their "infantry", "admin", etc. jobs or are they real specialties for the MOS?

And where can we find a real and complete list of MOS choices? NBC wasn't even mentioned in the recruiters listing yet I know that one exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Hi VegasGrace! I am only sure about the Air Force but I'd imagine that all branches have more or less the same policies. There should be a chart with every MOS that the branch of service has. I would imagine that every recruiter has one. Certainly the personnel office on a Marine Corps base will have one. The Air Force version lists EVERY specialty code ("Air Force Specialty Code" or "AFSC" for the Air Force; MOS for the rest, I believe) that Airmen are classified under. In addition to all of the normal jobs, they have codes for other status, as well. "Prisoner", "On Administrative Hold", and other unusual cases are listed. The USAF even has at least one specialty that involves boats! (There's a squadron at either Eglin or Tyndall AFB, FL that maintains aircraft targets out in the Gulf of Mexico, if it hasn't been contracted to a civilian company since I retired...) All of the services have "special duty identifiers" for very unusual jobs like couriers, recruiters and other jobs that a military member may do for a few years and return to their "normal" MOS.

Additionally, there may be MANY jobs within a particular MOS. For example, you might have the "Services" MOS and at one assignment you may work in the base hotel. At the next assignment, you could work in the base gym. Even though my military specialty was Aircraft Maintenance, I served in several staff jobs away from the flight line once I became a Non-Commissioned Officer.

Hope this explaination helps!

(P.S. After re-reading your post, it may be that the recruiter only had openings in the MOS's listed when you visited. The needs of a service continually change and you may find a different set of job vacancies the next time you visit. It may be possible for your daughter to be put on a "waiting list" for a guaranteed job that would allow her to wait at home until an opening in her preferred job comes up...)

Last edited by Crew Chief; 09-27-2008 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Add more info

Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
This site will give you a complete list of Marine Corps MOS: Marine Corps MOS Codes

A person that would care for horses would most likely have the MOS of 3373 Veterinary Technician

Old 09-26-2008, 12:53 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Marines and Air Force have as much in common as Rambo and the Girl Scouts.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:54 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Lightbulb Marine MOS

01 -- Personnel and Administration

02 -- Intelligence

03 -- Infantry

04 -- Logistics

05 -- Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) Plans

06 -- Communications

08 -- Field Artillery

09 -- Training

11 -- Utilities

13 -- Engineer, Construction, Facilities, and Equipment

18 -- Tank and Assault Amphibious Vehicle

21 -- Ground Ordnance Maintenance

23 -- Ammunition and Explosive Ordnance Disposal

26 -- Signals Intelligence/Ground Electronic Warfare

27 -- Linguist

28 -- Ground Electronics Maintenance

30 -- Supply Administration and Operations

31 -- Traffic Management

33 --Food Service

34 --Financial Management

35 -- Motor Transport

41 -- Marine Corps Community Services

43 --Public Affairs

44 -- Legal Services

46 -- Combat Camera

55 -- Music

57 -- Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defense

58 -- Military Police and Corrections

59 --Electronics Maintenance

60/61/62 -- Aircraft Maintenance

63/64 --Avionics

65 --Aviation Ordnance

66 -- Aviation Logistics

68 -- Meteorology and Oceanography

70 -- Airfield Services

72 -- Air Control/Air Support/Anti-air Warfare/Air Traffic Control

73 --Navigation Officer/Enlisted Flight Crews

80 -- Miscellaneous Requirements MOSs

Old 09-26-2008, 06:45 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Yer right Marines is girl scouts!!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Yeah, but we Blue Suit-ers have cooler aircraft!

When my F-15 squadron deployed to MCAS Yuma, Arizona back in the 80's we needed to have an engine bleed air duct crack welded. When our Engine troops took the duct to their welding shop, they were told by the Shop Chief: "We don't follow the technical manuals as much as you guys in the Air Force do. Maybe that's why we crash more airplanes"... True story

Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Yeah, but we Blue Suit-ers have cooler aircraft!

When my F-15 squadron deployed to MCAS Yuma, Arizona back in the 80's we needed to have an engine bleed air duct crack welded. When our Engine troops took the duct to their welding shop, they were told by the Shop Chief: "We don't follow the technical manuals as much as you guys in the Air Force do. Maybe that's why we crash more airplanes"... True story
On Okinawa I saw USMC f-4 suuadrons cosistently maintain much higher availability rates than AF ones with half the personell.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:45 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Lets get back to the OP...

Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I know there are Marines who care for the horses...that's all they do.
There are Marines who work in the uniforms...making changes and updates. ...
I was not in the Marines. I do not know exhaustively how the Marines do things. I did 20+ years in the Navy, I know how the Navy does things.

The Marines keep a few horses for ceremonial units. If it were a Navy ceremonial unit stationed at a Navy base, those people would be supplied from an 'awaiting' company.

Each Navy school has an 'awaiting' unit, made up of seamen who are waiting for their class-up date. Maybe their security clearance hit a snag, or there is some detail in their personnel file that causes them to wait 3 months before they can continue their career. Those seaman go into an 'awaiting' company where they each wait before they can go on to school. Each Navy base has a ceremonial unit, and draws bodies from the 'awaiting' company to provide those bodies. They practice drill each day. They are issued chrome helmets and chromed rifles. They are expected to maintain their own equipment and uniforms, and they do ceremonies at funerals.

The Navy has a long list of NECs, being on a ceremonial unit is not a NEC. It is the job of E1 to E3 seaman who are awaiting to get into a school, to learn their assigned NEC.

If the Navy had a horse-drawn hearse, the ceremonial unit would maintain the hearse and any horses.

Each Navy base will also commonly have a half-dozen E6s or E7s, who are on Lumdu assignment. Sailors of mixed rates and NECs, who can not go to sea, due to medical reasons. Those Limdus will commonly work outside of their rate, on base, and they will be put in charge of the 'Awaiting' company, or the 'X' division, or the Base Quarterdeck. Individually they may have to wait on Limdu assignment for 6 months or as long as 4 years in some cases.

You mentioned: "work in the uniforms...making changes and updates. ..."

In the Navy, at the Pentagon, there is one office that does address uniform changes / updates. Under an Admiral, will commonly be like a Captain with a group of staff officers, and a dozen enlisted sailors who clean the offices, answer phones and pour coffee. Those sailors will be from a variety of rates, and will each have completed one sea-tour. They each took that assignment, as a method of getting shore-duty. Among them will be MMs, ETs, RMs, whatever, all working outside of their training, as office wienies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues