Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 07:03 AM

68 posts, read 163,567 times

Advertisements

I saw the pay chart for the service and for a E-1 they pay you $1400 is that a month or every pay check. I have a family of five If i take my family with me how much is it for health care. What are the benefits of allowing my family to move on the base with me. Just give me every input on what I should expect... Is it a good idea to take my family with? Will my family benefit from living on the base and will they go to an school on base or outside in a town school. I have three kids and a wife, can we live off the amount that we get paid. I don't have any college credits only a basic plumbing certificate. How fast can you move up to get more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
----"if I take my family with me "--

You never could take your family with you while in bootcamp.
( maybe,that also, has changed)

Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
With your plumbing cert, you MIGHT start as an E-2 or E-3. Also, you may be able to enlist for six years and get to become an E-3 as well. If you are already married and/or have kids you father, you get BAH, it's a tax free allowance, on average it doubles your pay. Also while you are away from your family you get Family separation of $250/mo.

Your family will get free healthcare; for dental I believe you pay $20/month for your family and you get free cleanings however have co-pay for most other work. As far as living on base vs off base, way too many variables. Each base is different.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout007 View Post
I saw the pay chart for the service and for a E-1 they pay you $1400 is that a month or every pay check. I have a family of five If i take my family with me how much is it for health care. What are the benefits of allowing my family to move on the base with me. Just give me every input on what I should expect... Is it a good idea to take my family with? Will my family benefit from living on the base and will they go to an school on base or outside in a town school. I have three kids and a wife, can we live off the amount that we get paid. I don't have any college credits only a basic plumbing certificate. How fast can you move up to get more money.
First, with that many dependents, you would need a waiver (for precisely the reason you ask - how can you support a family on that) and your wife will probably need to prove sufficient income or assets that can support the family in order to get that waiver. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...tandards_2.htm talks about dependents and waivers - go about 2/3 of the way down the page for it.

It depends on the service how fast you move up. AF is slower than Army for instance.

The $1400 is a month's pay. In addition, you will get BAS (food money, theoretically enough to pay for your groceries) and BAH (housing allowance based on the zipcode of your duty assignment and your rank and dependent status).

Taking your family with you: after your basic and your tech school (AIT, A school....) you will get an assignment. Unless it is an unaccompanied assignment (like to Korea), it is expected your family will come with you. Geographical Bachelors are frowned upon, and financially it is more difficult to maintain two households. Your BAH would have to cover your housing and your family's housing. Most CONUS (states ) assignments have your kids attend the district schools - there are a few DoD schools in the states, but for the most part, its whatever district the base is zoned for. Overseas, its a DoD school. You may also find that there is a long waiting list for base housing for the lower enlisted folks, like you would be. Those are the people that really need the more affordable housing and you will have more competition for the base housing. Higher enlisted ranks tend to buy or rent off base more often because their BAH is higher.

Health insurance is paid for 100%. Family dental is $30 per month and optional.

Have you talked to a recruiter about a dependent waiver? That will be a big hurdle for you. Also, there are a few ways you can enter as an E-3 - make sure you really don't qualify for that before you write it off.

editing to add: I just read your other post. Because your wife cannot work, you may not get the waiver. If so, consider the reserves or guard, see if they will let you in. That would be a foot in the door and maybe someone else here can comment as to whether you can go active after some time and rank advancement.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM

522 posts, read 1,856,056 times
I doubt you'll be able to get in with that many dependents. Maybe the Army, but that's pushing it. I know for sure the AF wont take you, If the Navy wont take you the Marines wont. If the Army is in desperate need then you may get a shot. Remember the more dependents you have the more money the Military got to invest in you. Tricare is free.

As lisdol said, maybe the Reserves may take you in. The officer route may allow you, not to keen on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues