Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM

107 posts, read 402,697 times

Advertisements

My wife passed away two weeks ago. She was active duty Army but not overseas. Using the wonderful worldwide web, I can kind of figure out what to expect from the process (burial, SGLI, etc.) but I want to make sure I don't overlook something that I need to do. Granted, the number of surviving spouses of active duty members it pretty limited but I wondered if anyone around here has any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Sorry to hear about that.....

Her unit should have contacted you with all the paperwork...

You should have recieved other entitlements....$100,000 within the first couple days and the SGLI down the road a week or 2?

BUT....I would HIGHLY suggest you find her Chain of Command...they should have been helping you with this from the beginning....

There are also other people on post that can help....cannot remember the actual name right now...

Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Macanudo, I am sorry to hear your loss. You might want to look over this "The Department of Veterans Affairs" web page which deals with surviving spouses and dependents of military personnel who died while in active military service. It also has info and links to other agencies which you might contact.

Oooops, forgot the URL, here is the specific one:
http://www.vba.va.gov/survivors/agencies.htm

(Thanks for the alert chucksnee)

Good luck.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-27-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Macanudo, I am sorry to hear your loss. You might want to look over this "The Department of Veterans Affairs" web page which deals with surviving spouses and dependents of military personnel who died while in active military service. It also has info and links to other agencies which you migh contact.

Good luck.

Good info...

Here are 2 links for you...

Survivors' Benefits Partners Information

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Sorry to hear about that.....

Her unit should have contacted you with all the paperwork...

You should have recieved other entitlements....$100,000 within the first couple days and the SGLI down the road a week or 2?

BUT....I would HIGHLY suggest you find her Chain of Command...they should have been helping you with this from the beginning....

There are also other people on post that can help....cannot remember the actual name right now...
I agree that a Casualty Assistance Officer should have contacted you by now IF you were listed on your wife's Emergency Data Card.

Were you estranged from her (separated)?

Here is the Army website for information:

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/Active...de/phase1.html

PS: You are asking about burial; she hasn't been interned yet (2 weeks)?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM

I have an assigned CAO. We have been in contact but he's new at this and I want to make sure I know what to expect as well. I asked a question about the SBP and he didn't know what that was. I knew more about it than he did.

She has not been interred yet. She is being cremated and buried with family in a small cemetery in Nebraska within the next few days.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
SBP is for retiree survivors; considering your wife was active you would get DIC payments.

Dependency and indemnity compensation is paid to a surviving spouse at the monthly rate of $1154.

http://www.military.com/benefits/survivor-benefits/dependency-and-indemnity-compensation#2

If the Causality Assistance Officer doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy call the HQ and ask for someone with experience; that's your right.

I am sorry for your loss.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM

The SBP used to be for retirees only but was recently changed to include active duty who died while on duty:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32769.pdf

I guess the real question is whether they had to die while deployed. My wife did not.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I am so sorry to hear about your wife.

I thought there was a casualty team - my SIL did this once as part of a team (she is a personnel officer). Is there anyone else you can contact if you do not feel comfortable with the POC you currently have?

At our last unit there was a handout that listed all of the survivor benefits/rights/whatever. I think it was a way to help the guys feel a little more secure and knowledgeable about how their wife and kids would be cared for if something happened. My husband had a copy of it and had mentioned it to me but did not actually keep a copy at home. Do you have anyone you know in her unit that might have this kind of information? Just as a way of double checking against what you already know so you have everything taken care of?

Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I can not answer your question, I do not know... but I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues