Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Harley-Davidson's real problem is not that their manufacturing costs are two high. The problem is that its demographics in the current market are not good.
You know, that is what I also thought, until a survey of Harley Dealers by Robert Baird found the exact opposite is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Well, as of today it's official:

Harley will stay.

And despite the fact shown by the Baird survey that the problem is not in demand, but in supply, the company got what it wanted:

Wage freeze from the Unions, plus two hundred (out of 1,300 Union workers) layoffs, with most of those 200 jobs going to non-Union employees, some of whom will be new hires.

No word on if the Management of Harley was able to shakedown the state for any more $$.

Ah, greed......................................

Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Well, as of today it's official:

Harley will stay.

And despite the fact shown by the Baird survey that the problem is not in demand, but in supply, the company got what it wanted:

Wage freeze from the Unions, plus two hundred (out of 1,300 Union workers) layoffs, with most of those 200 jobs going to non-Union employees, some of whom will be new hires.

No word on if the Management of Harley was able to shakedown the state for any more $$.

Ah, greed......................................
Disturbing about the layoffs. I wonder what will happen to the laid off. On the other hand, if Harley-Davidson totally packed up and left, the amount of people without jobs would have been much higher.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Disturbing about the layoffs. I wonder what will happen to the laid off. On the other hand, if Harley-Davidson totally packed up and left, the amount of people without jobs would have been much higher.
On the news today (Northwood's channel running a story out of the Milwaukee area), there was a shot of the interior of the Harley Plant, and then the voice-over said the state was instituting a program to retrain displaced workers for jobs in the fastest growing sector of Wisconsin's economy:

Agri-Business.

Don't know how many ex-Harley workers will end-up pulling teats, or selling fertilizer, but everyone that does should thank the execs at Harley-

as soon as the fat cats come back from their villas at Cabo.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
On the news today (Northwood's channel running a story out of the Milwaukee area), there was a shot of the interior of the Harley Plant, and then the voice-over said the state was instituting a program to retrain displaced workers for jobs in the fastest growing sector of Wisconsin's economy:

Agri-Business.

Don't know how many ex-Harley workers will end-up pulling teats, or selling fertilizer, but everyone that does should thank the execs at Harley-

as soon as the fat cats come back from their villas at Cabo.
Scary times in this nation.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Exclamation Harley's Next Step: Made In China?

OK, concessions are fine to keep the company/corporation here in the U.S.A., and for people to keep their jobs.

Isn't it disproportionate that people in southern states will work for less money? Isn't that part of America too? Why are southern folks always targeted as cheap labor? What's wrong with those folks down there? Are they stupid or what? They should accept no lesser of a wage than notherners are accepting right now. The cost of living isn't that much cheaper down there now, except for maybe fuel and energy costs.

I recall driving expedited cargo years ago. Trucking finely finished parts for automobiles and trucks to michigan assembly shops where machinists and metal workers assembled the final product, they took concessions too, cuts to benefits and wages, and in the end, the companies ended up closing shops anyway and moving their operations to where else, but China.

What Harley Davidson is doing is nothing short of union busting. I predict they'll fall on harder times, and eventually, will move out of the U.S.A..

Call me a pessemist, but this is basically what happened with the auto industry. Most parts used to assemble American automobiles are now made overseas. It's sad and it's probably due to corporate greed. Did any of harley's CFO's, CEO, or other top management people take a cut in benefits or pay? Probably not. If they did, someone please inform me!

Harley could be a dying breed, see the article posted in the link.

Harley-Davidson adjusts to hard times - Sep. 17, 2010

Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 AM

That seems to be the trend nowadays. Go to the places where people will work for a fraction of what people get paid here. What is next? I hear there are workers in China who are striking.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That seems to be the trend nowadays. Go to the places where people will work for a fraction of what people get paid here. What is next? I hear there are workers in China who are striking.
China workers striking? That's interesting news.
Why won't H.D. make a crotch rocket to appeal to the young generation?
Sometimes designers and engineers can't think out of the space they occupy.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:08 PM

182 posts, read 298,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
OK, concessions are fine to keep the company/corporation here in the U.S.A., and for people to keep their jobs.

Isn't it disproportionate that people in southern states will work for less money? Isn't that part of America too? Why are southern folks always targeted as cheap labor? What's wrong with those folks down there? Are they stupid or what? They should accept no lesser of a wage than notherners are accepting right now. The cost of living isn't that much cheaper down there now, except for maybe fuel and energy costs.

I recall driving expedited cargo years ago. Trucking finely finished parts for automobiles and trucks to michigan assembly shops where machinists and metal workers assembled the final product, they took concessions too, cuts to benefits and wages, and in the end, the companies ended up closing shops anyway and moving their operations to where else, but China.

What Harley Davidson is doing is nothing short of union busting. I predict they'll fall on harder times, and eventually, will move out of the U.S.A..

Call me a pessemist, but this is basically what happened with the auto industry. Most parts used to assemble American automobiles are now made overseas. It's sad and it's probably due to corporate greed. Did any of harley's CFO's, CEO, or other top management people take a cut in benefits or pay? Probably not. If they did, someone please inform me!

Harley could be a dying breed, see the article posted in the link.

Harley-Davidson adjusts to hard times - Sep. 17, 2010
Do you realize what you would have to pay for a car or a pair of pants OR A HARLEY if all workers were union? Do you really think that the pieces of sh*t rolling out of American auto plants are worth what they are asking for them? But they have to ask that much to cover the union wages and benefits! Sorry! Soon it wont matter because the unions are rapidly pricing themselves out of business.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman51 View Post
Do you realize what you would have to pay for a car or a pair of pants OR A HARLEY if all workers were union? Do you really think that the pieces of sh*t rolling out of American auto plants are worth what they are asking for them? But they have to ask that much to cover the union wages and benefits! Sorry! Soon it wont matter because the unions are rapidly pricing themselves out of business.
I still fell that unions (to some degree) are an important part of any industry, otherwise, Americans would be working for $2.80 hourly, as corporations would have it. Loyalty towards an employee does not exist in this age, it left the workplace about 25 years ago. You will however find people, yes employees who do sacrifice and believe in what they do, and are highly dedicated.

Yes, you are correct, the cars and trucks rolling from assembly lines are not worth what they're priced out as, but, to not buy one, if everyone copped that attitude of not buying American cars and trucks, would be cutting the working person's throat, which I would refuse to do. I would buy a new American car or truck, if I could.

Anyway, the article I posted a link to, says that many of the younger generation aren't buying Harleys for a reason. Harley is still pandering to, and trying to accomodate a dying breed of Americans. If Harley were to change the targeting of a certain group of people, by building something a bit different than what a white middle aged man want's, then maybe they can become competitive again. I suggest crotch rockets like people see on our roads everyday. 1100-1200 CC, streamlined, lightweight, something to compete with what's on the streets now. When I rode motorcycles, it was a thrill to speed. Harley's are good road bikes built for mature adults, they need something for kids under 45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee