Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

This was a duplicate of my previous post--deleted.

Last edited by 43north87west; 04-30-2008 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Duplicate post--sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:16 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
If they're so small-minded that they associate military with bad employee, they suck. Maybe one or two might but I don't think that's it. Some of it is probably dependent on availability. Also employers in Milwaukee are somewhat slow moving compared to other areas of the country, whether that is related to availability, I'm not sure. I used to have to hire people on the spot in DC, otherwise they would be gone tomorrow.

The job market is just not that good in Milwaukee from what I can tell. The costs of doing business in the area don't lure employers there; crime keeps them away also. However, I really admire your attitude. Given the right opportunity, I would consider living there again full time also. I think that a lot of it is what you make of it, and a person can be successful there.

Out here in Arizona, people move here with jobs (still) all the time, and are employed shortly thereafter. Maybe not their choice of fields, but people can go to work if they want to, in this town.

I'm with you on the incomes too. Six figures elsewhere, in Milwaukee, I get clowns who are out "tire-kicking" hoping to acquire something for nothing. I would too, but that's not how it works.

Whatever the case, keep it up, sooner or later, you'll hook up with an opportunity. You might even bump up your salary requirements, unless (obviously) the going rate in Milwaukee is low. Sometimes that makes a candidate look really legitimate because they are asking for every bit of what they're worth. Good luck with your search and your move!
If I can't find anything reasonable I will have to go elsewhere. I have a very high clearance, CCNA/MCSE and a 2 year degree. What u said with DC is true. When I put my resume on a DC site, I got calls and phone interveiws right away, they were that concerned about me getting to someone else. I just don't know what the deal is there with milwaukee. I have talked to a few IT staffing agencies and there willing to work with me, but it seems something is wrong. I'm I can't find it in milwaukee, I will try Chicago next, its still close to home for me, but I prefer Milwaukee.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
If I can't find anything reasonable I will have to go elsewhere. I have a very high clearance, CCNA/MCSE and a 2 year degree. What u said with DC is true. When I put my resume on a DC site, I got calls and phone interveiws right away, they were that concerned about me getting to someone else. I just don't know what the deal is there with milwaukee. I have talked to a few IT staffing agencies and there willing to work with me, but it seems something is wrong. I'm I can't find it in milwaukee, I will try Chicago next, its still close to home for me, but I prefer Milwaukee.
Yep--Six figure guy. (I was an IS/IT Director who did all the IS/IT hiring in my facility, plus some for another office). In Washington, if you had clearance, were available "now", and were fairly personable, you'd be working "now".

It's not like that in Milwaukee. What scares me, is that employers FORCE people to take jobs for less than what they're worth, which causes it to become the de facto standard. Part of it is possibly because that's all that they can afford after being soaked by taxes and insurances and all of that, but it still doesn't compute to me. I'd sooner live elsewhere (well, I *do* live elsewhere most of the year) than have to lower my standard of living to meet the price that employers are setting, when you can go down the street to Chicago and get $25k more. Plus. Sure, quality of life is very good in Milwaukee and all of that, but when you're talking big chunks of extra money, that means big chunks of retirement contributions, and more things that come with higher salaries. And if you're goal is only to have x% of take home pay left over at the end of the month, it's a lot more when it's based on 50% higher salary! You know what I'm getting at. This is why people leave, unfortunately. Because there's not a whole lot going on in terms of employment. Trust me, I know all about it. I was a six figure guy, nobody will even talk to me in Milwaukee for half that, especially being out of town. Sure, they'll try with promises of great opportunities, growing companies, cool work environments, whatever. But that all means little if you can't afford to live, outside of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee