Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 16,191 times

Advertisements

Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the information provided here and the suggestions to my previous doubt before I come to here. And I am here in Milwaukee. Milwaukee is a great underrated town and the people here are friendly. Now, I have a few question to ask for help here. I want to by a used car and my budget is not more than $6000. Any suggestion where can I get a good used car for that money. What about the insurance. I am 28 years old and have 10 years driving experience in Malaysia and UK. But i don't have the US driving license yet. I have arrange to take a road test next week. Pls suggest.

Many Thanks,
Han
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 PM

17 posts, read 71,392 times
Ive actually heard from many people its cheaper to go to Chicago and buy a car. I havent done it, just what I heard.

Good Luck

Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times
I just bought a used car in a small town but buying in a small town doesn't guarantee a good deal. don't buy a car thats been driven in chicago because chicago's driving habits and potholes do a lot of damage to cars. I would go to a suburban dealership and try my luck if I were you. But do your paper work on how to buy a used car. that is very important. No matter what or where youre taking a chance with a used car. I think mine takes oil but you won't know that until youve driven it quite a few miles and thats more miles that a dealer or seller will let you put on the car before you buy it.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterYeoh View Post
First of all, thanks for all the information provided here and the suggestions to my previous doubt before I come to here. And I am here in Milwaukee. Milwaukee is a great underrated town and the people here are friendly. Now, I have a few question to ask for help here. I want to by a used car and my budget is not more than $6000. Any suggestion where can I get a good used car for that money. What about the insurance. I am 28 years old and have 10 years driving experience in Malaysia and UK. But i don't have the US driving license yet. I have arrange to take a road test next week. Pls suggest.
1) You need to get a US license before purchasing a vehicle. Most dealerships will not accept a Malaysian or a foreign license.

2) If you want a good used car, you can easily find one in the Milwaukee area without traveling across the country.

3) It would really help you to take a friend with you who knows the process. It is a real PITA to purchase a vehicle. Whatever you do, make sure that that you have the car inspected by an independent mechanic.

4) At that price range, you will do best purchasing a domestic midsized sedan with about 60k miles.

5) I would suggest that you head over to Edmunds.com to do research on the vehicles.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I just bought a used car in a small town but buying in a small town doesn't guarantee a good deal. don't buy a car thats been driven in chicago because chicago's driving habits and potholes do a lot of damage to cars. I would go to a suburban dealership and try my luck if I were you. But do your paper work on how to buy a used car. that is very important. No matter what or where youre taking a chance with a used car. I think mine takes oil but you won't know that until youve driven it quite a few miles and thats more miles that a dealer or seller will let you put on the car before you buy it.
When you purchase a car from a used car dealership in Wisconsin, you have a better than average chance of getting a car that the dealership purchased at the Manheim auction in Chicago or Milwaukee. And the Milwaukee auction gets a LOT of vehicles from the North and Northwestern Chicago suburbs. I know. When the cars in my corporate fleet are ready to be sold, tehy get taken to Milwaukee.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,680 times
Default Looking for car

I have purchased this past fall of Craigslist and it was what I consider a good value. And I have been looking again at Craigslist for a newer car and I have seen several for sale that fall within your price range.
Finally, remember to have the car checked over by a mechanic before completing the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee