Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 03:45 PM

23 posts, read 27,226 times

Advertisements

Can I comfortably live in Milwaukee with no car? I can't drive at all. I'm an accountant. I'd like a studio for less that $1000/mo. Is this realistic? I have a bicycle and a moped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:04 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
I had a friend who lived several years in Milwaukee without a car. No problem at all (I mean if you're ok with carless existence in general), you can get anywhere in Milwaukee county by public transportation (even more so with a bike).

However, be prepared to scale down your biking during the winter... Although I had another friend who biked to his job 300 days a year through all seasons, I cannot say it's for faint of heart.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:40 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
What does "I can't drive at all" really mean? If you have a moped, you surely have a license? Cars/parking are cheap in MKE.

But if you live/work downtown, are comfortable with Uber & Lyft...you'll be fine. Using your moped will be difficult in the 5 months of winter or when it rains, which is seemingly every week.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:20 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawfalKulam View Post
Can I comfortably live in Milwaukee with no car? I can't drive at all. I'm an accountant. I'd like a studio for less that $1000/mo. Is this realistic? I have a bicycle and a moped.
Yes to everything.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
We lived in Mequon for the last 3 years with no car, it's really not that hard. Anything a mile and under is walking distance, even 2 miles is not that bad. The hard part is the adjustment once you get settled in a grove you don't even think about not having a second car.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:18 PM

448 posts, read 1,819,551 times
It's probably easier to live car-less than with a car in today's Milwaukee. I'd suggest finding something near enough to here you work that walking is always an option or at least a short walk to a direct bus line or the streetcar. I've known people that have commuted by bike almost the entire year but you should always have your options open. I can get nearly everywhere I need to go by bus or walking. Beyond Uber/Lyft there is Zipcar which can be found in many places around the city.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 AM

549 posts, read 848,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
It's probably easier to live car-less than with a car in today's Milwaukee.
Yup. I went car-free in Milwaukee in 2005 and it was SO much better than owning a car. Milwaukee's parking laws are insane, and snow emergencies are awful. It made life so much more pleasant to just walk out the door in winter and hop on a warm bus. I do not miss it.

Regarding the OP's question, it's no problem at all. MCTS actually runs a really nice bus system. It doesn't have shiny bells and whistles, but their coverage and frequency are great and I've never had an issue with getting anywhere I needed to go. I'd recommend living anywhere along the Gold or Green Lines, as they have the most frequent service. That said, nearly anywhere in the county on a bus line will be fine. The grid system make pretty much anywhere easy to get to.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 PM

24 posts, read 23,431 times
Milwaukee is not a city thats easy car-less. Yes, MCTS is pretty good and can but you anywhere in Milwaukee County. I would never just depend on public transportation. Thia isn't Chicago or New York. Imo your best place to move is the East Side. You can find a nice studio for under $1000 and most include water and heat. Biking is very popular. Its a very walkable area. Most things are right in the neighborhood. Check it out. Lower and upper east side Milwaukee. Also Bayview would be another great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee