Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:47 AM

401 posts, read 319,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Try ear plugs.
I have, they don't work. I can still hear it. It's as loud as hail landing on a metal roof, you can't just block the sound out with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Nothing. We get that on our deck as well. They do sound like little bombs going off. You will get used to it, but I imagine that a mobile home would be not as well insulated as a house so it must be even noisier. Throw some old blankets out over everything till all the acorns are down? Not fun.
Yeah bombs is a good way to put it. It jars me awake, it's so loud and sudden that my heart gets beating really fast then it is even harder to fall back asleep. Today I got a whole hour and a half, maybe 2 hours if you add up the minutes here and there. Ugh. I am desperate to try anything, I'll get a bunch of blankets.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post
OP, jokes aside, try garden bird netting. It's inexpensive and lightweight. Should be easy to tie along one side of the roof and then loosely to the trees. It can hang slack. It will not flap or move significantly in the wind. It will soften the blows of any nuts that fall through it. Doubled and tripled over itself, most nuts won't even fall through. And the squirrels will hate trying to run around on it. But to the extent they do you won't hear them scrambling on your roof.

Good luck!
That would be a good idea...but I dont know how I would get up that high in order to reach the trees. They hang over my trailer, they're not next to it. I can't climb them, they're all like a hundred feet tall at least.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Remove the acorns from the tree and put on the ground. Hire a handyman or DIY.u aunt had the same problem in Iowa. If not feasible, those pink earplugs plus Bose Noise-Cancelling Headphone. Worth every penny for me. Plus maybe a sleeping pill. I suffer from insomnia plus i hear a pin drop and i.m awake. Get your rest and maybe call a tree guy or animal trapper for advise if taking thr nuts down 1x week doesn.t work. Trapping won.t be the answer but maybe they have advise as well. Good luck!
These trees are too high, the tops of them go way up above power line height. You can't even reach the trees from my trailer, they overhang way high above it, not directly above it. But even if I could reach them, I dont know how I'd get all the nuts out, the squirrels are at it every day all day and they still don't get them all.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It is a mobile home. Move it.
Well that costs a few thousand dollars to do that. Besides, this park is full of trees and the caretaker says it happens to all of them. It's just that nobody else has to sleep in the daytime like I do so the noise isn't keeping them from sleeping.

Moving to another park isn't possible either, this is the only park in the area I could afford to live in, that's why I moved here. It's only $280 a month.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones.
I can't sleep with headphones on, I'm a side sleeper. I can't even sleep with little earbuds in. Besides, anything like that would make it impossible to hear my alarm going off and I'd be late for work.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
An afternoon with a chain saw should take care of business.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:34 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I am in no way condoning this...

Old 08-09-2015, 06:54 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
Tie some twine to the trees and hang a tarp or netting over your roof. If you can't do it yourself, hire a teenager to do so. Depending on the size of your home, if that's not an option, erecting a canopy of some sort (maybe one similar to this: Shelter Logic 8 Leg Outdoor Shade Canopy in Modular Garages) might work to dampen the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul