Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:53 PM

230 posts, read 259,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNloser View Post
I'm black.

BTW I think I may have found the problem. It's not just my personality that's a problem.

I don't have a degree, and while that should be obvious as a reason. I worked over 10 software contracts so I WAS HOPING that people could look past it.

I posted I had a degree and I had over 50 replies TODAY from companies, instant calls & email responses with some asking to interview tomorrow or next week ****ING BULL****.

I think I'm screwed without a degree, and I don't want to go to college for computer science when I don't even like programming. I'm going to try getting a minimum wage job in another state and try to move up.

I knew a degree was important but why get a degree in a field I don't even like?
Also I been trying to make money from my own private company, I'd rather work minimum wage trying to start a business than going to college already knowing that I hate the job I'm going to work for in the future.

Although in the past when I had a github & a website portfolio, I DID get tons of replies, emails & calls everyday. Yet I still wasn't able to get a job for YEARS. So it is POSSIBLE that even if I did get a degree, no one would hire me still. Which gives me even less reason to go to college. It also sucks because I already worked in this field and I genuinely believe a degree wouldn't make work the slightest bit easier in the sector I work in. Web Dev is easy for the most part.
OK here is the deal, I don't live in MN(debating between MN and NY) since I am in NJ getting another masters. I am black BTW. I am in no way saying I know Minnesota, but what I do know is education is valued up there. Maybe more so than in other states. You can choose to stay there but a place like NJ or in the northeast can be better for you. Let me explain, Jersey has some of the best education in the country but also some of the most crooked people on the face of the earth. While many have degrees and many do not. Not having degree won't disrupt your chances of landing a job. **** people who don't have degrees are in some cases better off here in NJ. Unfortunately race is a factor here, regardless of what is said or how things are portrayed. Best bet is get your ass to the east coast because of the inpouring of immigrants (migrants) it would be easier for you to procure a job here. Its more about connections here.

Your in the wrong state and so am I. My degrees will work for me in Minn and software developing will work for you here even without a degree, the thing in the tri-state is they will hire you if you got skills but they want to pay you just enough to survive and with a degree they probably won't hire you, unless they know you. I happen to be in the mindset that I don't need to be liked. I really just need my money. I think I am going to fit in great in MN because I am self sufficient meaning friends won't define me. I am kinda so satisfied with myself that people will gravitate to me as a result, and if they don't I'll be fine because I find my self simply irresistible. I don't know I just love my self a lot, not to cast any aspersions on you. In any case, have a plan. DID I mention NY is near and typically no one there has a degree (so-called melting pot of country). So theres that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM

...sorry there is a high percentage of people in NY who don't have a degree

Old 03-15-2017, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 9,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
OK here is the deal, I don't live in MN(debating between MN and NY) since I am in NJ getting another masters. I am black BTW. I am in no way saying I know Minnesota, but what I do know is education is valued up there. Maybe more so than in other states. You can choose to stay there but a place like NJ or in the northeast can be better for you. Let me explain, Jersey has some of the best education in the country but also some of the most crooked people on the face of the earth. While many have degrees and many do not. Not having degree won't disrupt your chances of landing a job. **** people who don't have degrees are in some cases better off here in NJ. Unfortunately race is a factor here, regardless of what is said or how things are portrayed. Best bet is get your ass to the east coast because of the inpouring of immigrants (migrants) it would be easier for you to procure a job here. Its more about connections here.

Your in the wrong state and so am I. My degrees will work for me in Minn and software developing will work for you here even without a degree, the thing in the tri-state is they will hire you if you got skills but they want to pay you just enough to survive and with a degree they probably won't hire you, unless they know you. I happen to be in the mindset that I don't need to be liked. I really just need my money. I think I am going to fit in great in MN because I am self sufficient meaning friends won't define me. I am kinda so satisfied with myself that people will gravitate to me as a result, and if they don't I'll be fine because I find my self simply irresistible. I don't know I just love my self a lot, not to cast any aspersions on you. In any case, have a plan. DID I mention NY is near and typically no one there has a degree (so-called melting pot of country). So theres that.
I think you're right, there's some evidence that I worked over 10 jobs and only ONE of them have been in my own state.

I worked remotely for $30/hour, $50/hour, even $100/hour for california jobs.
Yet I fail at interviews for $15/hour jobs in my own city.
Btw that 1 job I got in my own city was because I was "friends" (I just helped him with software) with someone at the company. Says a lot.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:32 PM

DUDE........I'm always right even when I wrong.....I'm from the east coast

Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNloser View Post
I think you're right, there's some evidence that I worked over 10 jobs and only ONE of them have been in my own state.

I worked remotely for $30/hour, $50/hour, even $100/hour for california jobs.
Yet I fail at interviews for $15/hour jobs in my own city.
Btw that 1 job I got in my own city was because I was "friends" (I just helped him with software) with someone at the company. Says a lot.
Why not continue to freelance remotely? What am I missing?

Old 03-16-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Why not continue to freelance remotely? What am I missing?
Unstable hours. Sometimes I'll get 5-10 hours in a single month. One month I might get lots of hours. I know in 2016 I went 3 months looking and found absolutely no work at all.

Then I found work and it was a contract I completed in a day. It paid $1k for 1 days worth of work but the fact of the inconsistency is ruining me.

I only had one consistent contract that lasted for nearly a year, then they started hiring a bunch of people and my hours went to the other people, and I don't know why because the new people started breaking the site.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:46 PM

22 posts, read 25,767 times
Just throwing some things out there because I also felt the same way you did. It really is a crisis when your employment, personal life and feelings of self-worth all come to a head at the same time. And not having any friends to go to! I came out at age 15 - so believe me I know rejection, I know judgment and I definitely know isolation. I also did not have a degree and when I went back at 25 I did alot of it online. I still don't have professional life figured out and I don't have a lot of friends and never found a significant other, either...but I can say this - TRAVEL. I barely ever got out of this town I've lived my whole life in (Niagara Falls NY) and while my grandparents are from Minnesota, I had to see other cities where some form of life goes on - living in the town I live in, or when I spent summers in MN - it can feel like you're at the end of the line and there's nothing else out there.

Then I started going to other cities to run marathons, half-marathons and 10k races. Went to Phoenix and Tucson & met some running buddies there. Now I go back every year, and I have a couple friends to talk to in case I find myself feeling that way again and I want to try somewhere else. Same with a few other cities. You need to see that you have some alternatives out there and you can't just read about them online. If you don't have a lot of money to travel do what I did - get your tickets on a cheap airline, find a hostel to stay at where it's really cheap, and take a couple extra days to explore a new city. Again it might not be where you've always dreamed of living, but you never know - the more places you go and people you meet, the more you network and get to know places/people/companies worth checking out some more.

You also got to give it a little time. As you get older you'll become more confident and care less about what other people think. You'll do just fine. The fact that you're posting something so personal and asking for help is a good sign. Don't let anyone make you feel anything less. The last thing you are is a loser!

Old 03-16-2017, 06:14 PM

I agree

Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM

I'm leaving next week. I hope for the best. I don't want the remainder of my life to be homeless.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:34 AM

701 posts, read 1,709,435 times
What do you want to do? If programming isn't your thing, what is?

What type of programming do you do (languages, applications)? You need to figure out a way to apply your current skills to work toward what you actually want to do.

Yes, not having a degree in your field is an issue. Most places where you just send in your info will filter you out in the first round.

If you could give some more specific information, you may get get better feedback from this group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul