Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,472,022 times

Advertisements

This is to the people who have experience in this area. In your opinion are manufactured homes equal in quality to conventional stick built houses? I have heard that they are of better quality sometimes with 2x6 frame construction vs 2x4. I have also been told that you can get a conventional home loan as long as the manufactured home is on a permenant foundation. I am interested in looking into one on a full block basement. I am wondering how the hold up to the elements and do they hold their value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,043 times
They depreciate in value and they are colder in winter, the pipes tend to freeze if not properly winterized.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
You need to define manufactured home. I think you are talking about a house that is built in a factory then disassembled and put back together on site. Many people here will think a manufactured house is a mobile home/trailer house. I know people that have manufactured houses and they are ok. The quality isn't as good as a stick built house but for the lower cost, it might be worth it to you. Finding insurance can still be an issue though. Not every company will insure a manufactured home, permanent foundation or not, but there are some that will. It might just take a little homework.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
My brother in law and his familiy do live in a manufactured home that was built in Canada and brought south and put over a foundation.....he finished the basement himself. They live in Bottineau North Dakota where it gets real cold and stays cold. They have been in it for 5+ years and never had issues.

Also in my neighborhood in East Grand Forks Minnesota we have one like that as well....concrete basement foundation was poured and then the manufactured brought in and put on top.

Now these homes are not small mobile homes, these are pre-built homes trucked in already assembled. Now all the ones I have seen up in our area are put over a basement foundation so the pipes, etc are in the ground a depth and insulated well.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 AM

429 posts, read 1,148,615 times
I did a lot of research on manufactured homes when I was in college studying engineering. I ended up building a kit home (college budget!), but I was impressed by some of the specs in the manufactured homes. My impression is that quality can really vary among companies, so do your homework before you buy. And stay involved during the entire process.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 AM

Yes to clear up any misconceptions I am talking about the type which are factory built and then trucked to the site in two halves. Not a mobile home. And it would be placed on a foundation. When looking at homes on the computer you can always tell the prefab homes because they all have a peak in the interior ceiling where the two halves were joined.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Yes to clear up any misconceptions I am talking about the type which are factory built and then trucked to the site in two halves. Not a mobile home. And it would be placed on a foundation. When looking at homes on the computer you can always tell the prefab homes because they all have a peak in the interior ceiling where the two halves were joined.
We took a look at some manufactured homes 8-9 years ago, and I was quite impressed with the quality of the construction. My main concern was how the home itself would be attached to a basement, but the home itself was built to local code. I can't remember what it was called, but it was down in or near Shakopee.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM

41 posts, read 93,345 times
I live in SOuth Carolina and live in a mobile home, and would never live in one again. they have no value and not enough storage, they also build it with cheep material. they might look nice on the lot but you live in it for few years they start falling apart. I would rather buy a stick build house that need some TLC that a new mobile home any day of the week.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilates1966 View Post
I live in SOuth Carolina and live in a mobile home, and would never live in one again. they have no value and not enough storage, they also build it with cheep material. they might look nice on the lot but you live in it for few years they start falling apart. I would rather buy a stick build house that need some TLC that a new mobile home any day of the week.
The manufactured homes we looked at were stick houses built to local specs. Very different from a mobile home. The main difference was they they were assembled and then moved in halves (or thirds) instead of being assembled on site.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilates1966 View Post
Once again reading comprehension is vital. I am not talking about mobile homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota