Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM

4 posts, read 12,237 times

Advertisements

I have been considering moving back to Minnesota after 14 years and most of childhood away from there. I am wondering how much everyone likes living in Minnesota? What do you like? What do you dislike? It is expensive? Are there plenty of singles (I'm in college)? Any information you would like to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:22 PM

15 posts, read 75,247 times
Moved here from Chicago area 22+ years ago, now consider it home. It is a great place to live in almost every regard if you don't mind the cold winters. Real estate costs more than some places, less than others. By and large, it is great.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:27 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
The only time I feel truly alive is in the summer. Otherwise, the rest of the year, having to wear a sweatshirt most of the time is just ridiculous. Even this summer has been cold. I even had to wear a sweatshirt one evening when walking around.
After going to the Caribbean in January, and over to Europe this March and July, I'm starting to really become sick of this weather, and have long since contemplated change and relocation. I just have two more (two and a half at most) years of school, then I'm out of here. Until then, I'll figure out where. =)

So long story short: Yes, it is beautiful here, but only in the summer. To me, it's a nightmare any other time. =/

Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM

305 posts, read 991,394 times
Minnesota is a great place to live. What more can you ask for? The colleges and schools are great and the weather is nice and frosty in the winter and the summers well a bit humid. Minnesota has alot of jobs and lots of entertainment. It is expensive I will say that but all in all its a great place.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,363 times
I just moved here last year from ND. So far this is heaven. It all determines where in the state you are looking at. I live up north on the edge of the iron range. Compared to the weather I had in ND, I like it here better. Blizzards do not happen near as often, very little wind, little wind gives better wind chill factors, humidity is higher, summer is real mild. Weather wise I love it. The beauty of the land here is phenomonal. I love the trees and lakes. If you are an outdoors person this is the bomb. Hunting, fishing, cycling, running, boating, 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, canoeing and all sorts of other "ings". The economy here isn't as rich as in ND's larger cities. There are alot of nasty looking homes around here. I am now getting used to seeing this. Not quitie blightish. We just didn't have this much back home. People have been very friendly. I absolutely love it here. Can't imagine now living anywhere else.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:06 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
I love it here. Summers are great and we have a winter that is actually cold enough for fun activity. I mean, where else can you set up camp with all the ammenities on a frozen lake and fish all day?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind9 View Post
I just moved here last year from ND. So far this is heaven. It all determines where in the state you are looking at. I live up north on the edge of the iron range. Compared to the weather I had in ND, I like it here better. Blizzards do not happen near as often, very little wind, little wind gives better wind chill factors, humidity is higher, summer is real mild. Weather wise I love it. The beauty of the land here is phenomonal. I love the trees and lakes. If you are an outdoors person this is the bomb. Hunting, fishing, cycling, running, boating, 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, canoeing and all sorts of other "ings". The economy here isn't as rich as in ND's larger cities. There are alot of nasty looking homes around here. I am now getting used to seeing this. Not quitie blightish. We just didn't have this much back home. People have been very friendly. I absolutely love it here. Can't imagine now living anywhere else.

I don't want to burst your bubble but we had a VERY mild winter and are having an EXTREMELY cool summer--just a little warning . We haven't had much for snow in the past 15 years though so last winter was above 'normals' for the past 15 years or so. No, most areas of the state don't see the wind like you have on the open plains in ND.

Where you live is what you make of it whether it is in MN or Texas. Everywhere has it's good points and bad points and no where is perfect. You can choose to embrace what you have or sit back and whine about it. Personally, life is much better if you embrace what you have but then some people just like to whine (not directed at anyone here in particular, just a common theme that pops up on posts like this time and time again).

Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
We have had milder winters (relatively) compared to years ago. We have had EXTREMELY hot summers recently. Its cyclical. Over the years there has been plenty of cool summers and warm winters then you have very hot summers and plenty of freezing winters. The lifestyle is laid back, people are friendly (generally) there is always something to do. Minnesota is affordable, depending on the area you choose to live.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM

198 posts, read 483,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble but we had a VERY mild winter and are having an EXTREMELY cool summer--just a little warning .
I believe the winter of 2007-2008 ran slightly colder than the 30 year average, as measured by heating degree days (the most objective criteria I can think of). Therefore, I am curious to know the criteria on which you base your assertion that this winter was very mild.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Iceout this year was like June for some lakes.

Okay not June, but close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota