Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:20 AM

205 posts, read 249,429 times

Advertisements

Okay y'all, Here's my little rant.

I HATE OXFORD MISSISSIPPI NOW!!!

My best friend since childhood, who recently entered Ole Miss', WALKED FROM DOWNTOWN OXFORD TO OLE' MISS 100% SOBER, THEN HE GOT ARRESTED FOR P. I, WITHOUT GETTING A D. U. I!!!

I then realized, after watching this segment of 60 minutes (found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBiXcfrP_4s)

That they all do this!!

That's when I began to think "My word, why would I ever want to go to a college like this".

Now for the big part:

Here are all the reasons I LOATH Oxford, Mississippi.

1) The Cops. enough said already above, let's move on.

2) The false pretense behind Oxford. Okay, I'll give them two free points here: the food's great, and they have William Faulkner's home Rowan Oak. However, that being said, Ole Miss seems to try to make itself out to be "Harvard of the South" (and they really sell t-shirts that say so). So they try to have all these cheap art galleries and a few permanent exhibits overglorifying the history of the University and the city of Oxford, and they call that the "University Museum", and then they promote their college as "The center of the SEC", and, they argue, that Ole Miss is the "Harvard of the South). I mean, they have plenty of good education opportunities, and they buildings on campus are nice and moderately historical, but HARVARD OF THE SOUTH??!!!

I've been to Harvard, so I can say there's no comparison between the two. In fact, I think the Boston Children's Museum has more culture and sophistication than Ole Miss' football games.

Football is so overrated, yet this town makes itself out to be Harvard because of their football team (Which by the way lost to MEMPHIS! a crappy team)

Another thing about Oxford and Ole Miss is how Ole Miss students get so defensive about meaningless, falsely pretentious things like Greek Life, the dressy and overly preppy tailgating culture, and frat parties. It's the worst at Ole Miss.

3) THE GODDAMNED RACIST LEGACY BEHIND OXFORD AND OLE MISS!!

Okay, so, at the University of Mississippi, you have all of these people waving flags in front of the courthouse when oxford changes its flag, then you have the confederate monuments still up and honoring the worst traitors in the history of the United States, then there's all the people who've graduated from the University (Like Haley Barbour), who say keep on saying that segregation was a good thing and the White Citizens' Council and the CCC (their spawn) are nothing more than civic clubs, then finally you have the name which has been so engrained in yours' truly's mind so much that he has to think for a second to remember that it's the University of Mississippi, not "Ole Miss".

I've made my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:38 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
It's time for you to "pull a Hank Snow".

Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 AM

exactly.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post

My best friend since childhood, who recently entered Ole Miss', WALKED FROM DOWNTOWN OXFORD TO OLE' MISS 100% SOBER, THEN HE GOT ARRESTED FOR P. I, WITHOUT GETTING A D. U. I!!!
For a point of clarification, A PI and a DUI are mutually exclusive charges. They have nothing to do with each other.

Quote:
I've been to Harvard, so I can say there's no comparison between the two. In fact, I think the Boston Children's Museum has more culture and sophistication than Ole Miss' football games.
What do you mean by "I've been to Harvard" As in "I can trade my alumni email with you" or "I toured campus"

Last year you were posting about being a college freshman and having a 3.5 high school GPA, that is a stretch for even most legacy admissions at Harvard. It would appear you are overstating your relationship with Harvard to prove some nebulous point.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
For a point of clarification, A PI and a DUI are mutually exclusive charges. They have nothing to do with each other.

What do you mean by "I've been to Harvard" As in "I can trade my alumni email with you" or "I toured campus"

Last year you were posting about being a college freshman and having a 3.5 high school GPA, that is a stretch for even most legacy admissions at Harvard. It would appear you are overstating your relationship with Harvard to prove some nebulous point.

I meant I've visited Harvard.

I have not actually been to college at Harvard.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post

I'm a pretty reasonable reader. I did not assume he meant that he attended Harvard. I assumed he had visited Harvard university in Cambridge, MA. And I agreed, BTW, that no one who has actually visited Harvard would ever call ole miss "the Harvard of the south."

Even without that visit, ole miss' admission standards don't support such a claim. Perhaps they're the Tufts of the south, or the Boston University of the south.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,724 times
I agree about a lot of what you wrote, but i don't think anyone, including the many UM fans I am friends with, takes the "Harvard of the South" thing seriously. I've been to the Grove several times and the Junction dozens (hundreds if you count non game days) of times, if you muted the colors and plopped someone down in the middle of a block of tents, it would be hard to tell the difference.

UM (along with MSU and USM) is at best a lower second tier university, albeit with a currently well performing football team (that may soon come crashing down due to an intense NCAA investigation).

This coming from a MSU alum who initially planned to get a MBA from UM (before the state college board shut down their program in Jackson in the mid 90s), just so I would have all the bases covered.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:21 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,594 times
The man made a seemingly bold statement implying he had enough knowledge of Harvard to make a definitive statement about the nature of Harvard as it compares to another school. I asked and he gave a fine and reasonable answer.

I also acknowledge I tend to be defensive about Harvard.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:58 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Claiming to be "The Harvard of the South" is about like claiming to be "The Switzerland of Africa".

Old 02-17-2016, 05:27 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Claiming to be "The Harvard of the South" is about like claiming to be "The Switzerland of Africa".
That's right. And i can confirm that Oxford is not "The Harvard of the South"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi