Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Have you heard of it? It was a serious battle between Jackson and Vicksburg in 1863 as part of the Vicksburg Campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Champion_Hill

But there is no park at the site. The land is mostly private property.

https://goo.gl/maps/vpwCbUCwHfD2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,976 times
My 2nd great grandfather fought at Champion Hill. I think it was also called Baker's Creek. He got through that just fine but was shot twice at the battle in Franklin TN in November 1864.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you heard of it? It was a serious battle between Jackson and Vicksburg in 1863 as part of the Vicksburg Campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Champion_Hill

https://goo.gl/maps/vpwCbUCwHfD2
I have a buddy on CivilWarTalk.com that likes to visit that area.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,308 times
They do a reenactment there each year.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Yes I have heard of the battle, part of Grant's successful and quite ingenious Vicksburg campaign.
Let's hope it's not plowed over into a subdivision. Vicksburg otherwise has some excellent preserved civil war battle sights, including an old gun boat pulled out of the swamps.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:18 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes I have heard of the battle, part of Grant's successful and quite ingenious Vicksburg campaign.
Let's hope it's not plowed over into a subdivision. Vicksburg otherwise has some excellent preserved civil war battle sights, including an old gun boat pulled out of the swamps.
Since it's between Edwards and Bolton, I think it is too far away to turn into a suburb of Vicksburg of Jackson.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

I once patronized a business that was on a portion of the old battle field.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:06 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
They do a reenactment there each year.
I was in a war once. For a long time it reenacted itself. Eventually, it stopped and I resumed my life. Good.

Civil War battle reenactments are the greatest mystery in the world to me. Maybe I understood it once, but that would have been 1955 and I was only 10 years old. I didn't have much of an idea who Nazis might be, but I knew it was my duty to mow 'em all down with my stick machine gun. And kill any survivors with my pine-cone hand grenades.
But now? Real, grown up people pretending to shoot at each other, falling down, and then getting back up to shoot some more? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I wonder how many veterans of wars actually take part in that stuff.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:14 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I was in a war once. For a long time it reenacted itself. Eventually, it stopped and I resumed my life. Good.

Civil War battle reenactments are the greatest mystery in the world to me. Maybe I understood it once, but that would have been 1955 and I was only 10 years old. I didn't have much of an idea who Nazis might be, but I knew it was my duty to mow 'em all down with my stick machine gun. And kill any survivors with my pine-cone hand grenades.
But now? Real, grown up people pretending to shoot at each other, falling down, and then getting back up to shoot some more? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Is it any worse than the Renaissance Fair?

At least at those you get beer and whole baked chicken legs.

At Civil War reenactments you get to have smoke and dirt shot in your face, wear wool in 100+ degree heat, load a heavy-azz musket around and load it from the muzzle.

Having personally known alot of Civil War reenactors, I think it just comes off much more fun, now somebody please hand me a bayonet...

Old 02-09-2016, 06:21 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,439,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I would bet almost none. Certainly no one who ever raised a weapon during battle would ever participate in a reenactment.

Maybe someone who never saw action would do it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi