Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,849 times

Advertisements

No, This is not a Mississippi bashing thread. It's an opinion thread. What, in your opinion, is the worst city in Mississippi?

In my opinion? Clarksdale. This is one sad, miserable, run-down place with a huge crime problem. Especially north of 161. If you ever get off in Clarksdale, Don't go north of 161. That's when it gets really horrible.

The runner-up is Holly Springs. It's the butthole of North Mississippi. Whenever i drive on 78 (Soon to be 22), I wait until Olive Branch or New Albany (Depending on which direction i'm going in) to eat or gas up.

Like i've already said, This ain't no hate thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:38 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,845 times
I probably haven't been to Clarksdale since I was a little kid, so I remember very little about it. I would assume that Clarksdale would be better than most towns in the delta because of the blues tourism aspect of it. It has probably gotten a little mileage off of that.

I haven't been to Moss Point before (never really had any reason to) but it is a town that I've heard about quite a bit over the last 10 years or so as having a serious drug and crime problem, particularly when you consider its size and population (13k or so).

Old 08-20-2015, 12:29 PM

401 posts, read 537,072 times
Think the answer is Moss Point

Old 08-20-2015, 12:52 PM

799 posts, read 1,066,576 times
Clarksdale is my no 1 and Yazoo City is no 2 for me.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:18 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,412,283 times
The last time I was in downtown Clarksdale (three years ago), it looked awful. I can't say it's the worst city, but I didn't get a good impression at all.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:58 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
I found Clarksdale quaint. But that's because I talked to some awfully nice people there. The town itself is a has-been that will never "be" again.
Spent the night there at the old cotton gin that has become a motel.

Greenville. That's my vote for the worst. I mean, have you ever.....

Old 08-21-2015, 02:23 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,845 times
Yes, I had forgotten about Greenville. It's the biggest of our Mississippi river towns and no other Mississippi river town in our state has suffered and declined quite like it has. Granted, the picture above was taken in 1994 and is from Wikipedia.

Greenville peaked at around 45k people according to the 1990 census and has fallen to 32k people as of a 2014 estimate. A 30 percent drop in population is huge for any town or city. I still need to make it to Greenville to eat at Doe's, though.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:51 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,570,207 times
You know, it's easy to say that some of these Delta towns will never rise back up again. But, I'm sure many people said that New York City was dead back in the 1970's too.

I know that's quite a large contrast in cities, but what IF something sparked a renaissance in those little towns. Granted, it would be a gentrification of unprecedented nature, but the cost of living must be close to non-existent in those places.. Only downside? No industry nearby, and no population to work it, or demand it's goods and services. Just so remote...

Old 08-21-2015, 04:13 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
No, This is not a Mississippi bashing thread. It's an opinion thread. What, in your opinion, is the worst city in Mississippi?

In my opinion? Clarksdale. This is one sad, miserable, run-down place with a huge crime problem. Especially north of 161. If you ever get off in Clarksdale, Don't go north of 161. That's when it gets really horrible.

The runner-up is Holly Springs. It's the butthole of North Mississippi. Whenever i drive on 78 (Soon to be 22), I wait until Olive Branch or New Albany (Depending on which direction i'm going in) to eat or gas up.

Like i've already said, This ain't no hate thread.
I just did some streetviewing in Clarksdale and it looks like a miserable run down city indeed. Although there are clearly some southern elements in the building style of especially the small wooden houses and an abundance of (old) pickup trucks, the streets with the run down brick buildings downtown look just like Detroit or Baltimore. I just wonder, living in the most miserable state is one thing, but couldn't you at least have tried to come up with your own building style instead of copying the one of the rust belt?

Old 08-21-2015, 05:00 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I just did some streetviewing in Clarksdale and it looks like a miserable run down city indeed. Although there are clearly some southern elements in the building style of especially the small wooden houses and an abundance of (old) pickup trucks, the streets with the run down brick buildings downtown look just like Detroit or Baltimore. I just wonder, living in the most miserable state is one thing, but couldn't you at least have tried to come up with your own building style instead of copying the one of the rust belt?
Just curious, have you ever visited Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi