Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 08:08 AM

17,776 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Probably.
Another interesting point about Mississippi is that there are no significant valleys. The lowest point in Mississippi is at the gulf. 0 feet.
I took a sailboat once from Mobile all the way up to Lake Pickwick (NW corner of Mississippi) and the total lift of all the locks was 410 feet.
Our state is as flat as a the bottom side of a cow plop.
I've never seen it but the place they call "Red Bluff" looks really interesting. I guess it is a canyon caused by erosion and is getting deeper by the day.

But it would seem any climate variation regarding temperature in MS would be latitude driven. And that would probably only be significant to any degree in the winter. Gulf coast is pretty balmy in winter and north MS probably is vulnerable to some chilly weather on occasion.

Last edited by eddie gein; 09-22-2021 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 09:33 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
We are poor so want to move somewhere else which isn't so hot. We love mountains and cycling
Quote:
Thanks everyone. We are in California which is very expensive. My Wife and I' have good jobs but only mine is remote so we'd be downsizing regarding income. She is a CPA but wants to be a farmer, which I also love working outside, so we'll keep looking.
"Hot" is relative. Depending on what part of California you're from, Mississippi's climate could feel like Hades.

If you want mountains, low cost of living, and a cooler climate, you should probably consider eastern Tennessee or West Virginia. The Ozarks of Arkansas and Missouri may be an option, too.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:54 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The adiabatic lapse rate for a saturated parcel is expected to be different from that of an unsaturated parcel. If we lift a saturated parcel, it will expand and cool down, leading to vapor condensation. This condensation will release latent heat, which will partially offset the cooling. The adiabatic lapse rate for a saturated parcel is therefore lower than that for an unsaturated parcel.First consider moist but unsaturated air. There is no liquid water present in the parcel and the entropy budget is that of an ideal gas made up of dry air and vapour. All the tools developed for ideal gases then remain valid. For example, the isobaric expansion coefficient αp of unsaturated air equals 1/T, as is the case for all ideal gases. The isobaric specific heat capacity of moist air is the weighted mean of the heat capacities for dry air and water vapour,
(6.1)cp=(1−q)cpd+qcpv,
with q the specific humidity. We therefore find that the adiabatic lapse rate, for an unsaturated parcel is the dry adiabatic lapse rate g/cp with the heat capacity cp as above. Because cpd=1004Jkg−1K−1 and cpv=1865Jkg−1K−1, we find that the specific heat capacity of moist air is slightly higher than that of dry air, typically by less than 1%. Consequently, the dry adiabatic lapse rate of moist unsaturated air is slightly lower than that of dry air; the difference is very small and is often ignored in practical applications.
I hope this helps out in your calculations..
Mississippi has a high adiposity rate.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:33 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Mississippi has a high adiposity rate.
Indeed.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:26 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've never seen it but the place they call "Red Bluff" looks really interesting. I guess it is a canyon caused by erosion and is getting deeper by the day.

But it would seem any climate variation regarding temperature in MS would be latitude driven. And that would probably only be significant to any degree in the winter. Gulf coast is pretty balmy in winter and north MS probably is vulnerable to some chilly weather on occasion.
I've been to Red Bluff a few times, including the spring of this year. the pictures make it look much bigger than it actually is, it is more of what I would call a gully, than a canyon. It is a fun trip, but don't go with too high of expectations. Very busy on spring days, with lots of USM and LSU students. Reportedly it is on private property, but there are no "no trespassing" signs, nor the does the SO run anyone off.

At the bottom, when you hit the rail tracks, walk about 100 yards to the right and you will see an old train derailment. You can also walk down to the Pearl River.

It's red clay, so if it's wet, you'll never get the stains out of your clothes.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:19 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times
If you want mountains, Mississippi is not the place. You'll have to do with Tennessee (Eastern Tennessee) or West Virginia.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:40 PM

166 posts, read 156,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There are no mountains in MS, not to be snippy but basic geographic knowledge of the US would tell you that.

And "hot" is all relative of course, but the southern part of the state is in what is considered a "hot and humid" climate zone while the northern half is more "mixed-humid" - mild winter, hot and humid summer.
Thank GOD I have you!!

Old 09-25-2021, 04:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies

Old 09-27-2021, 09:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Thank GOD I have you!!
Don't thank God, thank my public education which, while not perfect, covered basic geography of the US in, I think, 3rd grade.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Don't thank God, thank my public education which, while not perfect, covered basic geography of the US in, I think, 3rd grade.
Well thank goodness for your public education then. What would I do without you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi