Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,553,954 times

Advertisements

Ok that is it...... I don't care how beautiful it is here. I am going back to North Carolina!!! I met my first CRITTER!!!! I woke up this morning around 5ish and there was a bat flying in the house my husband rented.... Just what I needed on my first day in Missouri. I just couldn't sleep after that. I said I wanted Friends but Jeez I didn't want that kind of FRIEND ... I remember my first day in our house in NC and I got woken up by a tickle on my nose. I turn on the lights and low and behold it was a fricken huge flying cockerroach. I couldn't sleep that day either.

Hear I am weighing my option flying cockerroach or bat?Hummmmm
Jeez I am not sure.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,064,811 times

Dear Moberly K-Bear,

As a caver, and by given of that a person that has a kinda strong affinity for the only mammal that can fly, please know that normally you have nothing to fear from these cute little creatures. True, they have been maligned, terribly so, in movies and w/in our culture. However, take ~90% of that and throw it in the dumpster. Now, with that said, yea, they are kinda freaky to most people, flying around all goofish, little eyes, normally only seen at night [a time when monsters are in closets and under beds ], and on occasion, as you have found, within a house. They like attics - relatively warm, stable temps, protected from elements and predators - which is unfortunate, as then they come into contact w/ humans that fear them. Now, it is also true that they can carry rabies - as all mammals can - however, and not to degrade the threat of such, you have more chance of acquiring this very deadly disease from a skunk, raccoon, possum, dog, or cat. For your interest, here are a few links from my bookmarks. Yea, I am a geek when it comes to these critters - have given talks at schools, scouts, etc. regarding these. During cave trips/rescues/etc, have even had them land upon my shoulder, hitching a ride until I gently place them somewheres safe - I do NOT recommend touching them, unless you know what you are doing, and have gloves, etc. on. Sorry, I did laugh some upon reading your post...

Welcome to Bat Conservation International[yes, I am a member of this organization...]
GNoR BIG - Benefits of Bats
WildWNC.org : Nature Notes : Bats: Let's Dispel the Myths! (broken link) [nice info, short and sweet]
Bats [some additional very good info]
Welcome to Bat Conservation International (http://www.batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=91&idSubPage=62 - broken link) [info regarding rabies & bats]

Ok - after you have settled down some there are ways to minimize if not prevent bats from entering your house. Please tho', would be great if they were not killed/harmed in the process - they are very beneficial, filling a very important niche in the process of nature. Check out these for some help:
Bat Conflicts - Humans vs Bats [and the links at the bottom too]
Welcome to Bat Conservation International (http://www.batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=51&idSubPage=43 - broken link) [again good info here...]

PS - regarding heading back to NC, you are aware that there are many bats in that state too? Besides, I'll take a bat over a nasty roach, any day!!!

One of my favourite quotes [sorry, told yas I was geek regarding such ]:

Quote:
'It is unfortunate that the average person has a deep prejudice against the bat. Without looking or thinking for himself, he accepts a lot of absurd tales about the winged one, and passes them on and on, never caring for the injustice he does or the pleasure he loses.

The bat is the climax of creation in many things, highly developed in brain, marvellously keen in senses, clad in exquisite fur, and equipped, above all, with the crowning glory of fight.

He is the prototype and the realization of the Fairy of the Wood we loved so much as children, and so hated to be robbed of by grown-ups who should have known better. I would give a good deal to have a bat colony where I could see it daily and would go a long way to meet some new kind of bat.'

Ernest Thomas Seton, Wild Animal Ways, 1923

PPS: maybe that was one of my friends, that I sent over to watch over ya while ya were sleeping, in your new place?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,342,942 times
ahh your there ...

cockroaches vs. bats - hello I take the bats...

no place is perfect ...... but Missouri sure has me hooked!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:02 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,580,961 times
Yes, your first encounter with these fascinating creatures, can indeed be shocking. Here at the Lake where I live, one of my first sightings of these winged critters was while riding in our pontoon boat in the early dusk.

We were near the dam of our lake when suddenly there above us was this tiny, erratic (to my eyes at the time) flying 'thing'. It swooped down around our boat and I remember almost screaming as it kept coming closer in it's narrowing circles, in a downward spiral. I didn't know, nor realize it at the time, but the furry, flying forager of insect life, that was attracted by the lights on our boat, was in it's turn attracted to them.

The explanation of what I was witnessing, was graciously listened to and somewhat accepted. It took a few times of watching the critter in it's attacks on the many 'bugs', before I finally calmed down enough to begin to appreciate what I was lucky to be seeing.

By this time, we now had the 'honour' of having some of the bat's friends having joined in the feast time.

Also, during my walks around here during the twilight tme, I have had bats flying around and used to wear a hat, thinking that this was good protection, in case one of these dis-honoured creatures would decide that I was a large, moving insect instead of a carbon based voyager in my woods.

So, having said all of this, please take the above posted notes and add my little(?) dialog to this thread. Of course you were frightened, who wouldn't have been. I Do Not Like any bug, well, spiders are not bugs and they are more acceptable than 'bugs', so I will not include them in my dislike.

Hope that you can find another dwelling and not have to share it with unwanted guests. Good Luck!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 AM

871 posts, read 1,986,406 times
Please tell me thier are no flying **** roaches in MO. Please tell me that. I have a deep seeded fear of Roaches. The big black ones around here that people call water bugs. Thier not waterbugs! Thier nasty!
Honestly, that would be the one thing to keep me from moving to MO or anywhere near there. Ill take earthquakes and bats over the those nasty, nasty,.... Oh my gosh..Chill running through me!

I like bats though! And snakes.. Tarantulas dont bother me either.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Default creatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
Please tell me thier are no flying **** roaches in MO. Please tell me that. I have a deep seeded fear of Roaches. The big black ones around here that people call water bugs. Thier not waterbugs! Thier nasty!
Honestly, that would be the one thing to keep me from moving to MO or anywhere near there. Ill take earthquakes and bats over the those nasty, nasty,.... Oh my gosh..Chill running through me!

I like bats though! And snakes.. Tarantulas dont bother me either.
Good for you. Nope, no flying roaches here. Hate to even type that word. YUK..Only ones I have seen were in the South, esp. in Florida, on vacation. Bats, snakes, no problem there either. Actually raised about 15 black snakes one time. Now that is another story.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:43 PM

879 posts, read 2,880,631 times
Red face critter phobia..

Ok..now I would take the bat over a tarantula any day! Our second week in the new digs I spotted a "pile of brown leaves" in a dark corner of the hall. I went and got my husband to get rid of "it" and not tell me if "it" was what I thought "it" was! During dinner that night I just had to ask...was it a trantula?...Yep! A great huge brown and black one! Yebbee-jebbee..

So now his "honey-do" list includes plugging EVERY teeny tiny hole, crack, or potential entry way for "critters".

Old 08-10-2007, 02:56 PM

Wink I knew you come to the rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post

Dear Moberly K-Bear,

As a caver, and by given of that a person that has a kinda strong affinity for the only mammal that can fly, please know that normally you have nothing to fear from these cute little creatures. True, they have been maligned, terribly so, in movies and w/in our culture. However, take ~90% of that and throw it in the dumpster. Now, with that said, yea, they are kinda freaky to most people, flying around all goofish, little eyes, normally only seen at night [a time when monsters are in closets and under beds ], and on occasion, as you have found, within a house. They like attics - relatively warm, stable temps, protected from elements and predators - which is unfortunate, as then they come into contact w/ humans that fear them. Now, it is also true that they can carry rabies - as all mammals can - however, and not to degrade the threat of such, you have more chance of acquiring this very deadly disease from a skunk, raccoon, possum, dog, or cat. For your interest, here are a few links from my bookmarks. Yea, I am a geek when it comes to these critters - have given talks at schools, scouts, etc. regarding these. During cave trips/rescues/etc, have even had them land upon my shoulder, hitching a ride until I gently place them somewheres safe - I do NOT recommend touching them, unless you know what you are doing, and have gloves, etc. on. Sorry, I did laugh some upon reading your post...

Welcome to Bat Conservation International[yes, I am a member of this organization...]
GNoR BIG - Benefits of Bats
WildWNC.org : Nature Notes : Bats: Let's Dispel the Myths! (broken link) [nice info, short and sweet]
Bats [some additional very good info]
Welcome to Bat Conservation International (http://www.batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=91&idSubPage=62 - broken link) [info regarding rabies & bats]

Ok - after you have settled down some there are ways to minimize if not prevent bats from entering your house. Please tho', would be great if they were not killed/harmed in the process - they are very beneficial, filling a very important niche in the process of nature. Check out these for some help:
Bat Conflicts - Humans vs Bats [and the links at the bottom too]
Welcome to Bat Conservation International (http://www.batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=51&idSubPage=43 - broken link) [again good info here...]

PS - regarding heading back to NC, you are aware that there are many bats in that state too? Besides, I'll take a bat over a nasty roach, any day!!!

One of my favourite quotes [sorry, told yas I was geek regarding such ]:

PPS: maybe that was one of my friends, that I sent over to watch over ya while ya were sleeping, in your new place?
ShadowCaver I knew you come to the rescue.... Not that I calmed down my nerves.... I think I might just be hanging around Missouri for awhile. Good Lord that was frightening. Come to think of it I won't have bug problems in my house and don't need those bug zappers. Just to let everyone know we let the bat out. No harm was ever done. I wouldn't have squashed him like a bug or something like that.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:01 PM

good to hear that you are going to hang around.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
good to hear that you are going to hang around.
Thanks so much for the support when I need it. Just so much to do and BAM I get hit by a BAT.... Don't need it right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri