Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 PM

24 posts, read 60,693 times

Advertisements

We bought our future retirement home in Marceline MO and although it will be years before we move, I'd like to get to know some folks to pal around with when we're down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 04:42 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,898,395 times
Looks like folks from Marceline are far and few between...

Congrats on your purchase...you will love Missouri. Since
your coming from Alaska I won't have to give you my speech about
leaving only footprints during your time here.

How many years do you have to go and why did you pick Marceline?

Old 01-31-2009, 04:47 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,866,226 times
Well I'm moving to St. Joe but I do have property out at Lake Nehai

Old 01-31-2009, 05:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,556,091 times
Marie'sBees lives in Marceline. I haven't seen her around in this site. She needs friends as well since just moved to Marceline in 2008. We have been meaning to get in touch but I am sooooooooooo busy with the baby. Yoo HOo Marie'sBees here a friend in your neighborhoods.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Default retiring to marceline

We have 15-20 years till my hubby is of the retirement age. We chose Marceline cause it met all of our requirements, well prettty much. We wanted a small house with character in a small , clean ,quaint town, someplace warmer than here. We origanally looked much farther south but I think I am glad we found a place with 4 definate seasons, Fall is my favorite. The only downfall is I love the beach and we are pretty far from any coastline there. I also love to garden and can't wait to grow fruit!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,866,226 times
Oh boy when I was out in Missouri I was AMAZED at the soil. I lived up north west mind you so I don't know other areas but wow it was rich and it had the most wonderful soil smell. We only tried our hand at Kentucky blue grass which grew so fast and watermelon but when I get back you bet I'm planning to have some awesome veggies! I found a fixer in Marceline I wanted and was ready to put an offer in on but it didn't work out so I ended up buying in St. Joe. I hope to be able to go to Lake Nehai though for some fun!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,898,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moncheri View Post
We have 15-20 years till my hubby is of the retirement age. We chose Marceline cause it met all of our requirements, well prettty much. We wanted a small house with character in a small , clean ,quaint town, someplace warmer than here. We origanally looked much farther south but I think I am glad we found a place with 4 definate seasons, Fall is my favorite. The only downfall is I love the beach and we are pretty far from any coastline there. I also love to garden and can't wait to grow fruit!
You will be able to find a few beaches in Missouri. Marceline isn't too terribly far from Mark Twain Lake. Also, I encourage you to check out our float streams...you will have to head south a bit to find them but you owe it to yourself to check out Jack's Fork and a few others.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,398,912 times
The Grand River in Missouri is not far from Marceline. Good for floating and fishing and has a sandy bottom and shoreline.

You're right, misplaced1. North Missouri does have excellent soil. I've had great luck with tomatoes, sweet corn, pumpkins and melons.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Default Any other gardening tips?

I almost want to pull up roots and move now,good soil, floating down rivers and streams and FRESH WATERMELON (unheard of up here)!
I really want to try growing Hydrangeas and I would love to have fresh nectarines but haven't a clue if they grow in northern MO.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Default Hey Misplaced

Hey there, so how do you like your place in St.Joe? I was there over 20 years ago to visit my now exhusbands family. I loved the area then and tried talking him into moving there a year later but we ended up in Minnesota instead. We only stayed 8 months before he was ready to come back to Alaska.
I looked at a place in Hannibal too, but the house in Marceline was too good of a deal to pass up. We had a heck of a time getting the deal done, it 4 months plus from start to finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri