Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,738 times

Advertisements

So if you had to guess, how long will Shogun hang onto this thing? I assume he's got Evans later this year, then maybe the winner of a Machida/Rampage fight, then who knows perhaps Jon Jones assuming Jones continues to whup everyone placed in front of him.

Chuck had a great run, but since then:

Rampage: 1 successful title defense
Griffin: 0 successful title defenses
Evans: 0 successful title defenses
Machida: 1 successful title defense (sort of)

Remember the cries of the "Machida Era" hah! So what do you think? Will it change hands again before end of 2010?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 04:46 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,725,886 times
You never know. When Rogan said, "Machida era", I believed it. I shouldn't have. There are too many ways to lose. The sport is young, fighters are evolving like crazy. It's going to be a long time until we see absolute dominate, undefeated champions. Those fighters are children right now.

Musical chair champions is annoying, but I have to remember, the sport is young.

As far as the 205lb class lately. Rampage got ripped off against Griffin. So he shouldn't have lost. And Evans, in my opinion, had a terrible game plan against Machida. And Rua figured out how to beat Machida. Let's see, maybe Rua will hang on to it a while?

From what I've read, they're taking it slow with Jon Jones. Vera is legit, but I personally don't want to see Jones fighting anyone coming off a loss again again until he loses.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,008,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
You never know. When Rogan said, "Machida era", I believed it. I shouldn't have. There are too many ways to lose. The sport is young, fighters are evolving like crazy. It's going to be a long time until we see absolute dominate, undefeated champions.

Until all the champions are well rounded in all aspects of MMA,in fact.You hit the nail on the head.There are too many ways to lose,and if you have a weakness in one area,some fighter somewhere will exploit it.Just like Evans did with Rampage's lack of a great ground game and takedown defense.

The sport is much more complex than boxing,or even judo and jiu jitsu.And it is continually evolving.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,267,527 times
and the unique thing about the still stacked 205 lb division is that (more so) than any other division, there are some top dogs who could win or lose to each other on any given night. i mean, you've got Penn who is pretty dominant in the LW division (yes, i know he just lost a decision to Edgar); GSP vs. whomever @ 170; Anderson Silva vs. next victim @ 185; and even though there's a lot of good fighters in the now somewhat stacked HW div, i would still put my money on Lesnar. but @ 205... i mean, i wouldnt have wanted to bet money on Rampage vs. Evans, nor on Evans vs. Shogun, or Machida vs. Rampage, or Jones vs. T Silva, or Machida vs. Jones. i'm not too sure about Lil Nog, after his last fight, but i mean, anybody can have a bad night. Forrest Griffin vs. Jon Jones - that would be a good fight...

Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,725,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
and the unique thing about the still stacked 205 lb division is that (more so) than any other division, there are some top dogs who could win or lose to each other on any given night. i mean, you've got Penn who is pretty dominant in the LW division (yes, i know he just lost a decision to Edgar); GSP vs. whomever @ 170; Anderson Silva vs. next victim @ 185; and even though there's a lot of good fighters in the now somewhat stacked HW div, i would still put my money on Lesnar. but @ 205... i mean, i wouldnt have wanted to bet money on Rampage vs. Evans, nor on Evans vs. Shogun, or Machida vs. Rampage, or Jones vs. T Silva, or Machida vs. Jones. i'm not too sure about Lil Nog, after his last fight, but i mean, anybody can have a bad night. Forrest Griffin vs. Jon Jones - that would be a good fight...
I'd agree with that. One thing about the 155lb class is yes B.J. is the man, but the UFC doesn't have all the best 155'ers in the world. B.J. isn't fighting all the world's best. We'll see what Jake Shields can do at 170. 185 is all Silva's. He's a dominate champion. Can a dominate wrestler take him down and hold him there? And with the heavies? I've always liked Fedor. I think he's afraid. I really do. I think he doubts his success in the UFC.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,738 times
Good posts.

I don't even put much in Shields challenging at 170, as GSP has consistently shown the ability to nullify quality wrestlers while using a much wider, more dynamic skillset to easily win the fight.

Regarding the comment on Fedor, I'm honestly not sure if it's him or the management team one always hears about so it could be misplaced attempts at financial gain if they are the ones calling the shots. Either way it used to suck a lot more because even a couple years back the UFC heavyweight division was such a joke, but man how times have changed quickly. I think any combination of Lesnar/Carwin/Dos Santos/Brown Pride is a true marquee MMA matchup, with a pretty solid group of second tier guys.

Anyone think if Anderson has an easy time with Sonnen a superfight at 205 with one of the top three/four guys will happen?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,421,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Anyone think if Anderson has an easy time with Sonnen a superfight at 205 with one of the top three/four guys will happen?

i get major tired-head when discussing A. Silva fighting at 185...i may be wrong, but i'm thinking the majority of MMA fans feel the same...

with that being said, i don't see how ANY outcome of the Sonnen fight could change this opinion of him.

if he beats Sonnen down...move up to 205.
if he loses badly to Sonnen...besides an immediate rematch, who would he fight next??
if it's more of the same...move up to 205.

i just don't see how another fight at 185 would be a win/win situation for A. Silva and MMA...

but to answer your question, if A. Silva moves to 205, any opponent outside of the Top 5 would be a failure...that's just my $0.02!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,186,883 times
A. Silva is so unbelievably fluid and amazing. I just wish he would actually fight instead of goofing off and running away.

Bonus question: Has anybody ever actually hit Silva in the UFC? I swear...I've watched all of his fights and I've never seen him get hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)