Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:39 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,889 times

Advertisements

After Matt Serra, he doesn't really fight standing up anymore, it's like he's scared, it's like a ***** move, if he fought standing and on the ground evenly against Hardy then he would of had a better chance of finishing the fight. It's like GSP is turning to a 1 dimensional fighter or something, his style is now more similar to Matt Hughes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
his stand up is questionable at best.

look at what BJ did to him in their 1st fight. which bj won IMO.
i was not even slightly impressed with gsp's performance last night, hardy had one scratch on his face and that was from a poke while on the ground.

that said i still dont see anyone beating him any time soon, and he is to "weak" to move up a class so there will be many more fights just like tonight out of him.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
Here is an article about GSP not having the knockouts that everyone wants to see (this is written before last night fight). Like it says he had a pretty good percentage of knockouts to wins before the Matt Sera loss, 13-1 record with six knockouts. I didn't get to see the fight last night but from what I read he stuck to doing what he does best, his ground game. I don't fault him for being cautious or not going for the "knockout of the night". He's the champ for a reason.

Georges St-Pierre Wants More Knockouts? Not at This Rate | 5thRound.com – UFC 111 Play-by-Play Results, MMA & UFC News, Rumors, Videos

Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
look at the KO's he has, they are all TKO. some due to cuts, and only one was from standing, that was against matt hughes. every other tko he has is from a ground and pound. he has not got good stand up game so he does do what he knows he can, take it to the ground.

until someone who can defend those take downs fights him, or he moves up in weight, we will continue to see the same thing over and over from him.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
I think GSP beats every 170 pounder in the UFC. Jake Shields, they need to sign him after the Hendo fight.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM

284 posts, read 985,805 times
Even one of his training buddies Rashad Evans toke on the same role after Lyota knocked him out , i'm curious if Rampage is training more on wrestling for their match because i'll bet Rashad doesn't want to bang with Rampage and will go for the same plan as GSP similar to the Rashad and Thiago fight (yawn).
P4P in the UFC Silva , Penn hands down both of them are aggressive and come to fight , GSP should take his balls out of his mommies purse and start fighting like a champ

Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
I don't think GSP was scared to stand. IMO, he exploited the one weakness of Hardy, being his ground game. The result? he won the fight. Untill someone can enter the ring with GSP, and impose their will, he'll keep on doing the same thing. it's not rocket science...GSP is a very smart and respectable fighter. If you want to fight him, better bring your A game...Hardy didn't come prepared.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
I don't think GSP was scared to stand. IMO, he exploited the one weakness of Hardy, being his ground game. The result? he won the fight. Untill someone can enter the ring with GSP, and impose their will, he'll keep on doing the same thing. it's not rocket science...GSP is a very smart and respectable fighter. If you want to fight him, better bring your A game...Hardy didn't come prepared.

I totally understand that but would you say he is a totally different fighter since Serra knocked him out ? The way GSP mixes up his punches and leg kicks and then takes guys down is amazing and saw that when his fought Serra and BJ the second time around , there would no chance for GSP to jump to 185 and take on Silva and win with him fighting like this

Old 04-01-2010, 12:36 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
I totally understand that but would you say he is a totally different fighter since Serra knocked him out ? The way GSP mixes up his punches and leg kicks and then takes guys down is amazing and saw that when his fought Serra and BJ the second time around , there would no chance for GSP to jump to 185 and take on Silva and win with him fighting like this
i think the loss to Serra totally changed GSP in a mental aspect of never underestimating an opponent, and never getting too comfortable wearing that belt...

with that being said, i don't think he's a totally different fighter...i just think he isn't playing around anymore. i don't think he's a risk taker, and willing to stand and "bang" for the sole purpose of putting on a "good show".

as far as him moving up to 185, i don't know if he'll do that anytime soon...i believe he's 28 yrs old, lots of gas left in the tank. i think he'll continue fighting at 170 for at least another year or two...

Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i think the loss to Serra totally changed GSP in a mental aspect of never underestimating an opponent, and never getting too comfortable wearing that belt...

with that being said, i don't think he's a totally different fighter...i just think he isn't playing around anymore. i don't think he's a risk taker, and willing to stand and "bang" for the sole purpose of putting on a "good show".

as far as him moving up to 185, i don't know if he'll do that anytime soon...i believe he's 28 yrs old, lots of gas left in the tank. i think he'll continue fighting at 170 for at least another year or two...
True true but if you compare him to other champions he is getting boring to watch and i'm tired of hearing him give excuses for his performance , i know Anthony Johnson just lost to Kos but i think with his size speed and wrestling backround he's the one to give GSP a problem maybe not now but i like his odds on the fight if it was to happen . If Dana White has his way then i would think GSP and Silva would fight in 2011 , who else besides Vitor and Chael Sonnen could really challenge Silva and i don't see anyone right now that could touch GSP so they should fight .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)