Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

I believe if you lose you are no longer #1. That's why people fight, someone wins and we call him the better fighter. Sure it was a mistake by Fedor but so many wins happen by a minor mistake, and Werdum was the better fighter last night. I can't conclude that Fedor should be ranked higher than him, otherwise what's the point of having the belts? Werdum is the champ, he disposed of his opponent, congrats to him I love it.

On the other side of the coin I don't think Werdum is a better fighter than Fedor. If you had $1000 to bet on who wins best of ten fights between those two where do you put it? I've got Fedor.

To rank the overall #1 when there are multiple organizations it's not so cut and dry. I don't think Werdum's UFC run was as bad as some claim, despite the 2-2 he had a couple of wins against quality guys. However he got his ass kicked by Dos Santos who's a great fighter but at best the #4 heavyweight in the UFC, so I can't imagine giving the nod to #1 MMA heavyweight to anyone but the winner of Lesnar/Carwin.

Overeem is worth mentioning but the quality of his opponents just isn't there yet, after he fights a top five guy we can talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:53 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
well i would say fedor drops 2 #2 until his next fight. people have been waiting for a long time to take him down but last nights loss was not a show of him slipping but more a show of 1)werdum trained hard, 2)fedor made a mistake and the CAGE is the reason he got caught. (he is not used to fighting in a cage, had he been in the ropes of a pride ring that triangle/armbar would never have been sunk in because fedor would have had the room to pass to the side like he tried repeatedly.)

werdum IMO didnt do anything special, he won, he capitalized, and he gets the "pleasure???" of facing the UBERream. hell there will be people using this to further their "fedor doesnt want to face the best" arguements/conspiracies. fedor lost on purpose because he didnt want to face alistar so he took the loss to face easier opponents. RIDICULOUS!

oh and WHERE IS MARY PHAGAN?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
well i would say fedor drops 2 #2 until his next fight. people have been waiting for a long time to take him down but last nights loss was not a show of him slipping but more a show of 1)werdum trained hard, 2)fedor made a mistake and the CAGE is the reason he got caught. (he is not used to fighting in a cage, had he been in the ropes of a pride ring that triangle/armbar would never have been sunk in because fedor would have had the room to pass to the side like he tried repeatedly.)

werdum IMO didnt do anything special, he won, he capitalized, and he gets the "pleasure???" of facing the UBERream. hell there will be people using this to further their "fedor doesnt want to face the best" arguements/conspiracies. fedor lost on purpose because he didnt want to face alistar so he took the loss to face easier opponents. RIDICULOUS!

oh and WHERE IS MARY PHAGAN?

first off, great night of fights!

it will be interesting to see how things unravel for Fedor...he was classy in his defeat, just as i would expect, but he'll go back to the drawing board hopefully...his next fight is crucial to his legacy.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM

646 posts, read 801,533 times
Fedor did not even know how to tap.Fedor is still the best mma fighter of all time.I love his quote afterwards and his humbleness.I knew he would have to lose but to get caught like that.Hats off to werdum he beat the best ever.I saw Fedor arrive in San Jose with wife,i had a very bad feeling about his training method.Hopefully he will get back to the gym and train hard with something to prove.I feel sorry for his next opponent.long live Fedor

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Fedor got beat by a dude not even in the top 10 heavyweights list, so technically he got beat by a bum. To be fair he is aging, has a lot of fights under his belt, and hasn't really ever upgraded his technique. Could be the nail in the coffin for strikeforce...its definitely totally degraded the bargaining power of M1 Global (About time). Fedor's management mafia can no longer demand millions of dollars for every fight he's in because he has shown he's human after all. I still want to see him in the UFC to see how he rolls with their top five guys...same with Rogers. Fedor will drop in rankings a few spots and Werdum might get put in the last couple spots somewhere.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Fedor got beat by a dude not even in the top 10 heavyweights list, so technically he got beat by a bum. To be fair he is aging, has a lot of fights under his belt, and hasn't really ever upgraded his technique. Could be the nail in the coffin for strikeforce...its definitely totally degraded the bargaining power of M1 Global (About time). Fedor's management mafia can no longer demand millions of dollars for every fight he's in because he has shown he's human after all. I still want to see him in the UFC to see how he rolls with their top five guys...same with Rogers. Fedor will drop in rankings a few spots and Werdum might get put in the last couple spots somewhere.

ewww...don't know that I'de go that far (Werdum is a bum?)

Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Fedor did not even know how to tap.Fedor is still the best mma fighter of all time.I love his quote afterwards and his humbleness.I knew he would have to lose but to get caught like that.Hats off to werdum he beat the best ever.I saw Fedor arrive in San Jose with wife,i had a very bad feeling about his training method.Hopefully he will get back to the gym and train hard with something to prove.I feel sorry for his next opponent.long live Fedor

Fedor will always go down as one of the best ever...and i agree with his humbleness, a true fighter.

Every great fighter loses at some point, and the great fighters come back better than before...i just hope that's the case with Fedor!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Yeah Werdum isn't a bum he's had a couple quality wins in UFC over Vera and Gonzaga, not top guys but definitely not cans either.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
- Heavyweight Rankings - MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/topten.asp?articleid=16&zoneid=15 - broken link)

this is before the fight shows werdum at #9. a bum? lmao the man is a 2 time abu dhabi champion, a top 5 heavy weight jiu jitsu player in the world easy. to be honest i would put werdum over mir and big nog at this stage myself.

i found it really odd he got cut from the ufc because of a loss to junior dos santos, and a questionable loss to arlovski 3 yrs ago. he has wins over gonzaga 2 times, vera, and even a submission of overream. he has beaten bigfoot silva as well, handing him one of his 2 losses.

wedum is maybe one of the most underrated fighters out there at the moment.

that said i am a firm believer that the cage was fedors downfall in this fight. rewatch it and you will see that fedor did the right thing trying to pass the guard to the right side but ran into the cage and had nowhere to go so he had to move back left and that is when he got caught. had this fight been in a ring with ropes fedor would have gotten past the legs no problem and we would not be talking "the downfall of the greatest ever" blah blah blah.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 AM

646 posts, read 801,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
Fedor will always go down as one of the best ever...and i agree with his humbleness, a true fighter.

Every great fighter loses at some point, and the great fighters come back better than before...i just hope that's the case with Fedor!
I agree.Fedor is 33,so I think he has several big fights left in the tank.If Fedor still has it in his heart he will be champ again.I am just glad that he loss to a classy guy like Werdum.Both are true martial artists in every way and not a bit cocky.I just hope to see him want to get out there quick and back on track.And ya'll are right,werdum is no bum,he would submit many who winds up in his guard.Fedor has made a living beating fighters at their own game

Last edited by mary phagan; 06-29-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)