Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,013 times

Advertisements

My family and I plan on moving to South Alabama in early 2015. Already have a job lined up at Arcelormittal in Calvert, we just need to figure out the best place to raise a young family. We love the Gulf Shores but have no interest in dealing with the destructive powers of hurricanes. We are considering the Bay Minette, Spanish Fort, Saraland or Satsuma areas. I am not afraid of a 1 hour drive to work everyday if the commnity/home is perfect for my family. I would love to get some insight on the best communities for my family and I. Important factors for us - crime rates, schools & newer homes.

Price range for a home is around $250,000 and we would really like a home with a minimum of 3 acres - maximum of 20 acres. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Saraland or Satsuma will be your best bet. Saraland city schools are pretty good from what I hear, and they have a very nice brand new high school.

No way would I drove from Spanish Fort to Calvert everyday. Bay Minette is doable, but there's really nothing there to make it any more desirable than Saraland.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
West Mobile,Semmes, Dawes area or Saraland would be a great fit for you.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 PM

595 posts, read 368,682 times
I would avoid Spanish Fort. The schools in Spanish Fort are mediocre at best, along with the rest of Baldwin County schools. Several school administrators, including the principal, were openly trying to encourage students, and parents alike to vote yes to the penny tax, using school time to do it. If you decided to move to Spanish Fort, or anywhere in Baldwin County I would strongly urge you to put your kids in private school, or home school them. Car break ins can be a problem, even in nicer neighborhoods, but crime is not too terrible. Thing I found most annoying about living in Spanish Fort is that in my school other students would exclude you if you weren't from there. There are a lot of families in Spanish Fort, but after living there four years it did not seem like a place I would ever want to raise a child. Housing Spanish Fort is overpriced for what you get.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM

41 posts, read 61,172 times
My wife worked at a chemical plant near Calvert, and essentially all the professionals lived on the Eastern Shore (Spanish Fort and Daphne).

You might want to look up independent evaluations of schools. Baldwin County residents have continued to approve a sales tax to support the schools at the ballot box, despite the anti-tax hysteria common in this part of the country.

Saraland would be a closer commute and you would probably get more house for the money, but amenities like shopping are better on the Eastern Shore.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,679 times
I would look to buy in Spanish Fort or Daphne. I don't want to put Mobile down too much, but Mobile does not compete with Spanish Fort/Daphne at all when it comes to quality of life and raising children. Mobile has much more crime, not so good public schools, and much of the area is old/run down compared to across the bay (Eastern Shore). I will say though, if you choose Mobile they have great private schools. The only areas I would consider living at in Mobile is the Springhill area or parts of West Mobile. Spanish Fort and Daphne both have good public schools. You will get more house for your money in Daphne. My dad has been commuting from Daphne to Calvert for five years and has no problem doing it.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,861,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphneguy View Post
I would look to buy in Spanish Fort or Daphne. I don't want to put Mobile down too much, but Mobile does not compete with Spanish Fort/Daphne at all when it comes to quality of life and raising children. Mobile has much more crime, not so good public schools, and much of the area is old/run down compared to across the bay (Eastern Shore). I will say though, if you choose Mobile they have great private schools. The only areas I would consider living at in Mobile is the Springhill area or parts of West Mobile. Spanish Fort and Daphne both have good public schools. You will get more house for your money in Daphne. My dad has been commuting from Daphne to Calvert for five years and has no problem doing it.
I'm sorry, but downtown and midtown Mobile are charming areas (read: not cookie-cutter/suburban parking lots) and certainly not run-down! They certainly have MUCH more character.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,679 times
I will say midtown Mobile has it's nice areas and older houses with character, but a lot of them are very close to not so nice areas. I can't say the same about downtown Mobile, it needs a lot of work. I think that area is better for the younger crowd. It's not really the best place to raise children unless you can afford to live on the right street and send your children to a private school in the area.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:32 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,861,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphneguy View Post
I will say midtown Mobile has it's nice areas and older houses with character, but a lot of them are very close to not so nice areas. I can't say the same about downtown Mobile, it needs a lot of work. I think that area is better for the younger crowd. It's not really the best place to raise children unless you can afford to live on the right street and send your children to a private school in the area.
Midtown is generally very safe as well as downtown. It is for the younger crowd for sure, but there are plenty of young families there too. The private schools also provide the best education in the metro area and the housing is cheaper.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 AM

446 posts, read 678,427 times
I worked near Calvert and my dad works near Calvert at another plant. He lives in Airport-Dawes area. It used to take me about 35-40 mins light traffic if working nights it may take 40-45 mins also the same for my dad. In a guy living in Spanish Fort he love its but hates the drive to work in Bucks, AL near Calvert he works no overtime at all because of that reason. My dad has been living in Airport-Dawes area since 2001 when he built his house only crime he has experienced was a few years back when a man stole a motorcycle from a business and few pieces of paper in the ditch from that garbage trucks that's it. I have lived in Mobile for 2 years and it one of the safest places I have ever lived seriously one thing I noticed everybody definition of crime and danger is different here compared to other places. A lot of people hate the city and county of Mobile so they move to Baldwin County that's just how it is. The Mobile vs Baldwin talk is real and has divided each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area