Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 01:54 PM

313 posts, read 250,179 times

Advertisements

Like i was saying, we should be able to vote on that. They neeeed us, but treat us like crap. We have the best set up for trade out of any city in alabama. We have a deepwarter seaport, an airport (that can land the biggest planes in the world), 5 class 1 railroads, and two major interstates. All of these thing are within 5 miles of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 03:46 PM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
You can vote - for a representative that is stronger in forcing the issues in Montgomery, and who knows how to build and use political capital.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
As far as I can see Baldwin County is doing pretty darned well.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:03 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,911,013 times
Gee I thought Airbus located in Mobile that to the state pushing the area. I see ads on TV all the time about the Alabama beaches. On your port, the companies that use it have a free choice to use it, Panama City, New Orleans, or Miami. It works the same for the cruise lines. Don't blame Montgomery for this! Montgomery doesn't dictate to these companies, it is up to Mobile and Baldwin County to sell themselves.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,058,349 times
"Us too." -- Birmingham

In truth, the problem that all the cities in Alabama share is our obsolete state constitution, which gives rural counties incredible power over the cities. So it's next to impossible to get anything done without slapping a constitutional amendment on the budget.

You want Alabama to treat you better? Then get behind a constitutional amendment forthwith. And don't listen to retrograde idiots such as Roy Moore who oppose it.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:29 AM

190 posts, read 57,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Gee I thought Airbus located in Mobile that to the state pushing the area. I see ads on TV all the time about the Alabama beaches. On your port, the companies that use it have a free choice to use it, Panama City, New Orleans, or Miami. It works the same for the cruise lines. Don't blame Montgomery for this! Montgomery doesn't dictate to these companies, it is up to Mobile and Baldwin County to sell themselves.

For years the City and Mayor Dow were sending a contingent of reps to the air show in Paris to try to draw attention to this area. They eventually gained the attention of Boeing and very nearly struck a deal before it fell through. If I remember correctly that was due to union concessions or something along those lines, which kept the jobs at Boeing's main site. It did shed some favorable light on the city and evidently got the attention of Airbus. I don't remember the state being involved until late in the process when Airbus was bidding on the Air Force contract. All the grunt work was done by the city, at least that's how I remember it.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
I drove South Blvd in Montgomery a few months ago, and it seemed like half of the businesses were closed and boarded up. I don't believe I have seen anywhere in Mobile that looks that depressing.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:01 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,911,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I drove South Blvd in Montgomery a few months ago, and it seemed like half of the businesses were closed and boarded up. I don't believe I have seen anywhere in Mobile that looks that depressing.
Sad to say but South Blvd has been like that for many years. Take North Blvd and an completely different picture is presented.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:21 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,176,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJag View Post
For years the City and Mayor Dow were sending a contingent of reps to the air show in Paris to try to draw attention to this area. They eventually gained the attention of Boeing and very nearly struck a deal before it fell through. If I remember correctly that was due to union concessions or something along those lines, which kept the jobs at Boeing's main site. It did shed some favorable light on the city and evidently got the attention of Airbus. I don't remember the state being involved until late in the process when Airbus was bidding on the Air Force contract. All the grunt work was done by the city, at least that's how I remember it.

Thats true.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:22 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,176,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There isn't. Prichard has areas that resemble that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area