Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2023, 12:09 AM

92 posts, read 101,043 times

Advertisements

How nice it will be for Amtrak to come back.I hope it aleivates some of the Interstate 10 traffic.

Last week I rode by water street and looks like survey companies were inspecting the area where the old CSX station was located before Hurricane Katrina wiped it out.

I myself would have found a way to connect the Old GM&O railroad station in the plans for the new Amtrak station. Future plans are also in the works to connect The new international Airport to a spur line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 08:34 AM

50 posts, read 59,243 times
The other stares are prepared for the train and once again Alabama lags behind. Is it really that difficult to build a platform? We claim we want tourism and we seem to be so lackadaisical about getting things in place to support more tourism.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:17 PM

856 posts, read 584,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve57 View Post
The other stares are prepared for the train and once again Alabama lags behind. Is it really that difficult to build a platform? We claim we want tourism and we seem to be so lackadaisical about getting things in place to support more tourism.

Pretty sure they already had a platform to work with, we don't

Old 09-12-2023, 12:29 AM

I don't know why the city so far behind compared to other places. The Amtrak station and the Civic Center property are years behind. The Gulfcoast museum could be used for something else.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:18 AM

856 posts, read 584,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayourat15 View Post
I don't know why the city so far behind compared to other places. The Amtrak station and the Civic Center property are years behind. The Gulfcoast museum could be used for something else.
Well both are being planned as we speak, it’s better to be patient and get it right the first time and not end up with another gulf quest project

And Gulf Quest can’t be used for anything else unless the city wants to pay back the 10’s of million in federal grants the city got to construct it specifically for a museum

Old 09-13-2023, 12:50 AM

So...They can't use it for Mardi Gras balls?

Old 09-13-2023, 05:20 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,855,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Well both are being planned as we speak, it’s better to be patient and get it right the first time and not end up with another gulf quest project

And Gulf Quest can’t be used for anything else unless the city wants to pay back the 10’s of million in federal grants the city got to construct it specifically for a museum
GulfQuest was built with transportation funds to include a multimodal terminal. It most certainly can be used for a train terminal facility. The track logistics make that difficult, however.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:22 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,855,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Pretty sure they already had a platform to work with, we don't
This is true. Mobile, as the eastern terminating stop, needs to have a layover track constructed to meet the agreement made with the Port, CSX, and NS.

Old 09-21-2023, 07:09 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I remember back when the I-10 was built to alleviate traffic on other highways. If my memory can be trusted, there used to be a train called the Hummingbird Special which ran from Mobile to New Orleans. My family and I used to take it several times a year, and I still have fond memories of Pontchartrain Beach from half a century ago.

Having an Amtrak stop for Mobile is a big deal. It gives people an alternative to flying, or if you're really desperate, Greyhound, which is never a fun ride. When I moved from Tucson to Little Rock it was so convenient. Both cities have their stations downtown, and even though the trip took almost 2 days, you felt like you entered a time tunnel by simply stepping onto one train platform in one culture, and exiting into a completely different one.

Amtrak has none of the hassles and red tape that you get at airports. I paid for and printed my own ticket at home, never had to show an ID, no security checks (who high jacks a train? Where are you going to go other than where the train tracks lead?), a dining car, a cafe in the observation car that was basically all windows, and you could get a beer or a cocktail and enjoy the view w/ others. Very civilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area