Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 12:42 PM

865 posts, read 589,289 times

Advertisements

Mobile's New UDC Code-cc-zoning-map.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 12:47 PM

So this will be the Urban (orange) and Suburban (green) layout of Mobile once they pass the UDC

Basically the new UDC will change little, except for the creation of the Urban Section. Which WILL allow for higher density in those areas

Here's a few comparisons
R-1 Urban Vs Suburban
Suburban - lot size: 7,200 Square feet
Coverage of lot: 35% maximum
Front yard: 25 feet minimum (jesus)

Urban - lot size: 6,000 Square feet
Coverage of lot: 50% maximum
Front yard: 5 feet minimum

R-2 Urban Vs Suburban
Suburban - lot area minimum: 8,000 square feet
Density: 10 units/acre
coverage: 40%
Front yard: 25 feet

Urban - lot area minimum: 4,000 Square feet
Density: 20 units/acre
Coverage: 50%
Front Yard: 5 feet

R-3

Suburban - lot area minimum: 10,000 square feet
Density: 25 units/acre
Coverage: 45%
Front yard 25 feet
Landscape Percent: 15%

Urban - lot area minimum: 4,000 square feet
Density: 30 units/acre
Coverage: 50%
Front Yard: 10 feet

Landscape Percent: 10%

Last edited by InlandWave; 05-26-2022 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-26-2022, 07:24 PM

490 posts, read 464,486 times
What the units per acre or the B-1, B-2, and B-3 districts?

Old 05-26-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
What the units per acre or the B-1, B-2, and B-3 districts?

they are all the exact same in everything from B-1 to B-3

All have 25 unit/acre maximum (both Urban and Suburban)

Coverage: 50% (both)
Urban: minimum front yard: 10 Feet (maximum: 45)
Suburban: minimum front yard: 25 feet

Urban Landscaping min: 5%
Suburban Landscaping min: 15%

Old 05-27-2022, 09:58 PM

Just read the Peninsula Overlay for the UDC and I like it. A lot of focus is taken for biking, which makes sense as the Peninsula is currently the "it" place for biking in the city. Any multifamily creations or expansions must have 1 short term bicycle parking space for every 10 units. Anything built or redesigned for non-residential uses must have 2 short term bicycle parking space if it is between 0-6,000 Sq Ft and if its larger, then it must increase by 1 parking space per 6,000 sq ft

Also include in the Overlay is that all developed non-residential lots can only have a certain amount of the land to be impervious (such as concrete or asphalt)
examples:

0-5000 sq feet: Maximum Impervious Coverage: 40%

10,001-20,000: Maximum Impervious Coverage: 30%

Greater than 43,560: Maximum Impervious Coverage: 20%

Old 05-27-2022, 10:42 PM

261 posts, read 202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Just read the Peninsula Overlay for the UDC and I like it. A lot of focus is taken for biking, which makes sense as the Peninsula is currently the "it" place for biking in the city. Any multifamily creations or expansions must have 1 short term bicycle parking space for every 10 units. Anything built or redesigned for non-residential uses must have 2 short term bicycle parking space if it is between 0-6,000 Sq Ft and if its larger, then it must increase by 1 parking space per 6,000 sq ft

Also include in the Overlay is that all developed non-residential lots can only have a certain amount of the land to be impervious (such as concrete or asphalt)
examples:

0-5000 sq feet: Maximum Impervious Coverage: 40%

10,001-20,000: Maximum Impervious Coverage: 30%

Greater than 43,560: Maximum Impervious Coverage: 20%
Did they target that central area to be more dense commercially or am I just making that up? The area around BC Rain

Old 05-28-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
Did they target that central area to be more dense commercially or am I just making that up? The area around BC Rain
Their future land use for DIP corridor in the peninsula is Mix Commerical Corridor. Which seem to be for more suburban commercial buildings rather than urban (rear lot buildings vs front lots building) which is rather counterintuitive of the biking infrastructure

Looks like the goal is to keep the Peninsula as suburbia, which I have mixed feelings about

https://cityofmobile.maps.arcgis.com...fd7cfb28fba5ea

Old 05-28-2022, 01:21 PM

261 posts, read 202,613 times
Quote:
Their future land use for DIP corridor in the peninsula is Mix Commerical Corridor. Which seem to be for more suburban commercial buildings rather than urban (rear lot buildings vs front lots building) which is rather counterintuitive of the biking infrastructure

Looks like the goal is to keep the Peninsula as suburbia, which I have mixed feelings about

Yeah I don’t know if they really have a choice. Everything there is so spaced out that you pretty much have to use a car to go anywhere. It almost has a rural feel with how large the plots of land are. Some of those commercial areas need to be bulldozed and just start over tho

Old 05-28-2022, 03:02 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:

Maybe the plan is to turn the peninsula into west Mobile? I'm a big thinker so I think that the coastal areas of the peninsula should have midrise apartments/ condos with the bay view. Ultimately I feel that it will become another west Mobile which is fine.

Old 05-29-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Maybe the plan is to turn the peninsula into west Mobile? I'm a big thinker so I think that the coastal areas of the peninsula should have midrise apartments/ condos with the bay view. Ultimately I feel that it will become another west Mobile which is fine.

My guess its because so much of the Peninsulais lower in elevation compared to rest of the city, it's highest elevation is like only 45 feet, though the average looks to be like 21 feet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area