Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 10,223 times

Advertisements

We're new to the area and are looking for a place to live. We have two children, 5 and 1 so we're looking at schools, Semmes seems to have better schools than Mobile. Does anyone have any information about living in the area? Good/bad/safe area/schools....anything?

Also, we went to see the development by Breland Homes last week, anyone have any info on that neighborhood (the magnolia springs neighborhood)? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Those are great subdivison !! Not all of the schools in Mobile are bad Semmes Middle school is just like some of the inner city schools.Allentown and Semmes Elementary are good schools. Kate Shepeard Elementary which is on the corner of University and Bit & Spur Road(Moibile City Limits) is a great school in an even better neighberhood than any in Semmes.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Oh I saw that the middle school was a 7, are there any middle schools nearby that are good? My husband's really excited about picking out a lot and floorplan for the magnolia springs neighborhood and I'm trying to decide between that and the spanish fort area. But we can get so much more house in semmes than over in SF, probably cheaper insurance and taxes too. But I would hate to move in and regret it if the schools aren't going to be good enough.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Yes, living in Semmes would be cheaper all of the above ! The elementary schools are great and Semmes Middle isn`t a war zone it`s a pretty decent school as well. I was just stating the fact that there are some great schools in the city city limits. Another good Middle School that I know of is Causey.Semmes Middle is the largest Middle School in the state from what I was told so it has a pretty large disctrict. All in all Semmes is a pretty good area and you and your family would be comfortable living in the area with no regrets, I see that your requests are pure and simple.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
It's a pretty good area in my opinion. You'll find a few people who knock it, but those are the ones that prefer a more urban type walkable area. You won't be walking anywhere in Semmes, except maybe to get exercise.

There's plenty of places just minutes away on Schillingers Rd to shop and eat..... Kohls, Super Target, (2)Super Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Ole Charleys, Panera, Zaxby's, Backyard Burgers, Cracker Barrel, etc.....

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 03-16-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM

LOl and i`m one of those(prefer a more walkable area) Semmes is still a pretty good area though.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 AM

Great, I think my major concern about living on that side of the bridge is the crime, but I think we'll be able to stay out of those areas if we're on that side of town. Schillinger has practically everything we need. For some reason we always seem to find the outskirts of town which we really enjoy, we like having space, big yards, let the kids play and all, seeing the stars lol I've never really lived anywhere where you can walk wherever you needed to go, it does sound appealing but maybe in the next house or two. I appreciate the advice, we're off to look at more houses today-in Semmes and in W. Mobile county (which I see has even better schools haha, I'm going to be finding new places too often and will never decide!).

Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM

If your not in a crime infested neighberhood then you wont have to really worry about crime in Mobile County, there are some affluent midtown neighberhoods that are just as safe, so it willl be ok to venture out,lol.

There is a new upad coming subdivision near Infrimary West aka Knollwood hospital across the street from Barnes Middle School(a nice school in Mobile city limits by the way). I would also recommend any subdivison that is on Hillcrest Road from Cottage hill to ThreeNotch. There are some great schools and neighberhoods on that strip of Hillcrest that is between Cottagehill and Threenotch.

Goodluck

Old 03-17-2010, 09:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Yep, Hillcrest Rd is a nice area, anywhere south of Airport Blvd.

I would also check out Cody Rd from about Grelot Rd southward, many new communities are popping up around there.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area