Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 AM

443 posts, read 806,405 times

Advertisements

Montana's suicide rate leads the nation
This is a troubling statistic. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
The article pretty much explains why...access to guns, lack of cultural acceptance of mental health treatment, high percentage of veterans and native Americans.

One thing that the article did not mention, is legalized gambling, which I think has a huge coorelation to suicide rates. Nevada has been in the top five states for years on suicide.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM

443 posts, read 806,405 times
You make a good point about gambling. Legalization probably isn't good social policy.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 PM

262 posts, read 606,956 times
Quote:
The majority who took their lives — 77 percent, or 350 — were males.
I thought this bit was interesting.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The article pretty much explains why...access to guns, lack of cultural acceptance of mental health treatment, high percentage of veterans and native Americans.

One thing that the article did not mention, is legalized gambling, which I think has a huge coorelation to suicide rates. Nevada has been in the top five states for years on suicide.
Don't be ones of those mindless idiots that blames guns for what PEOPLE do! Suicidal people will use anything at their disposal to kill themselves. Gambling? did a roulette table follow them home and slit their throat while they were sleeping? Cultural Acceptance? OK! People may have some mental health issues, but I'm completely sick of people blaming EVERYTHING else for PEOPLES actions.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Mindless idiot? I discussed an article, and another reason to add regarding suicide...hardly a reason to be so cruel.

These people are mentally ill. They need access to treatment and therapy. Not the "toughen up" attitude.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM

102 posts, read 170,478 times
I volunteer through various organizations and deal with people who feel suicidal/depressed. A big misconception is that most suicidal people are "mentally ill." Sometimes that's the case, often it's not. The propelling factor that leads people to suicide is an overwhelming feeling about a situation in their life, a huge adversity, is "hopeless." In other words, they can't see their way out of whatever is claiming any joy or peace in their life.

It's often easier for "mentally ill" people to overcome suicidal thoughts IF the illness is of a chemical/organic nature. The right medications administered in correct dosages can literally be life-saving. What's more difficult, and what I think is at the crux of this article, is when people have a problem they feel they cannot discuss or find the right emotional help for. It's kept inside of their minds and their souls, and eats away at their ability to "see" correctly.

I knew a man who was rather happy-go-lucky most of his life, but became overwhelmed with financial devastation -- job loss, debt, inability to support himself -- and it lead to his suicide. I think the "hopelessness" of the situation, his inability to see the future being any better, lead to him leaving this earth. He loved life, he had a big heart, he just didn't have the energy or capacity to overcome the financial behemoth that took on his life.

It's not always "black and white" but for the most part suicide comes when life simply overwhelms in one or more areas. The only way to counteract the overwhelming crushing blows to our spirit or our physical bodies is through community and the assistance of other people. People can provide hope to others, and the ability to live "just one day at a time" is often the life-saving factor.

For anyone who is feeling suicidal I would say this: Change is a constant in life. For whatever problem you are feeling today, there is a good chance the circumstances will alter or change (or have the ability to change) with time AND often if you can force yourself to see through parts of the tunnel you are in, there IS a glimmer of light. They key - and I'm not saying this is always easy - is to find the RIGHT human beings with whom to connect and say "HELP, HELP, HELP" ... let people know you need help. Now. Let others try to lift you over the abyss until you can walk on your own again. There's not a person on this earth that doesn't need a helping hand at some point in the journey.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterofopinion View Post
I volunteer through various organizations and deal with people who feel suicidal/depressed. A big misconception is that most suicidal people are "mentally ill." Sometimes that's the case, often it's not. The propelling factor that leads people to suicide is an overwhelming feeling about a situation in their life, a huge adversity, is "hopeless." In other words, they can't see their way out of whatever is claiming any joy or peace in their life.

It's often easier for "mentally ill" people to overcome suicidal thoughts IF the illness is of a chemical/organic nature. The right medications administered in correct dosages can literally be life-saving. What's more difficult, and what I think is at the crux of this article, is when people have a problem they feel they cannot discuss or find the right emotional help for. It's kept inside of their minds and their souls, and eats away at their ability to "see" correctly.

I knew a man who was rather happy-go-lucky most of his life, but became overwhelmed with financial devastation -- job loss, debt, inability to support himself -- and it lead to his suicide. I think the "hopelessness" of the situation, his inability to see the future being any better, lead to him leaving this earth. He loved life, he had a big heart, he just didn't have the energy or capacity to overcome the financial behemoth that took on his life.

It's not always "black and white" but for the most part suicide comes when life simply overwhelms in one or more areas. The only way to counteract the overwhelming crushing blows to our spirit or our physical bodies is through community and the assistance of other people. People can provide hope to others, and the ability to live "just one day at a time" is often the life-saving factor.

For anyone who is feeling suicidal I would say this: Change is a constant in life. For whatever problem you are feeling today, there is a good chance the circumstances will alter or change (or have the ability to change) with time AND often if you can force yourself to see through parts of the tunnel you are in, there IS a glimmer of light. They key - and I'm not saying this is always easy - is to find the RIGHT human beings with whom to connect and say "HELP, HELP, HELP" ... let people know you need help. Now. Let others try to lift you over the abyss until you can walk on your own again. There's not a person on this earth that doesn't need a helping hand at some point in the journey.
Excellent post

This has been what I have noticed as well as I have also been involved with people in desperate situations that see no way out, usually relating to loss of kids in a divorce, or having nowhere to turn when things went bad through job loss or injury that means they can't provide for themselves anymore, or age is a big one too. Productive, useful people suddenly no longer able to provide and feeling useless to themselves and others.

I think part of the problem specific to Montana is the isolation and lack of services, outside of your buddies at the bar, there isn't a place to go to talk out your problems and maybe get a handle on them.
Add to that we do have a culture here of doing for ourselves, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, put your head down and keep on going until you break through the other side kind of thing.

It can be devistating for intelligent, hard working people who have always been able to take care of themselves and others to suddenly be put in the position of needing help, where they can't solve the problem themself, and it destroys their sense of self worth.

Most folks need a purpose or goal to strive for and when that is taken away for any reason, it can crush the spirit, and if you can't find someone to talk to openly about it, with full trust and confidence, well the problem is multiplied.

Everybody who does choose something like suicide does it for their own reasons, this is part of the reason it is so difficult to confront it because unlike a disease, it could have many causes or cures, but until you know about it, you can't help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana