Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times

Advertisements

Montana Supreme Court OKs Stops For Snow On License Plate

Police can stop and ticket motorists with a bit of snow on their license plate, according to a ruling Tuesday by the Montana Supreme Court. Mark Andrew Haldane had been stopped at a red light in his brand new SUV on 23rd Street in Bozeman on a chilly, sub-zero evening on January 12, 2011. Officer Hal Richardson was showing a trainee, Lindsay Shephard, the ropes, so when Haldane passed Officer Richardson decided to pull over Haldane's black Ford Explorer because its temporary license plate was obstructed by snow and a trailer hitch. The hitch alone was not a cause for the stop, as Officer Shephard testified she could not read the numbers when combined with the accumulated snow. [article continues]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
I wonder if the State is going to authorize "Non-Emergency" stops on the shoulder of the highway, so you can periodically stop to clean your license plates? Are the Law Enforcement agency's also required to stop and clean theirs? Will the snowplows be making stops to clean theirs?

Once again, I don't think the Courts thought this one through.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Great. My license plate has been "blacked out" for months with accumulation of snow, dirt, slush from driving on the roads around here...will there be mandatory "car washing" statutes?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,713 times
There comes a time in ones life when a guy gets behind on the registration. There have been times when I ran my rig through a muddy patch just to muck up the back of the rig so the plate numbers and the tag was pretty well covered.

Now will that law cover mud as well as snow ? I would expect so.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
I grew up in Michigan and while I don't know if there's an actual law I was always told that you could be pulled over if your plate was obstructed by snow so I learned to keep it clean.

If the snow is fresh and blowing around I can't imagine anyone getting a ticket for that, unless the police are looking for some reason to pull a particular vehicle over. Like the situation DontLookPhoto mentioned, I knew plenty of people who would pile snow over their plates so they couldn't be seen. Again, I'd be shocked if you get pulled over in the middle of a snowstorm, but once the roads are free of the loose stuff it's not that hard to take 5 seconds and run your glove over the plate or brush it off with the scraper. Most states are pretty straightforward that license plates need to be clearly displayed so I really don't see this as some huge deal.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Well, the roads might be clear but you're halfway between Billings and Lewistown on a crappy two-lane road; where you gonna pull over and clear your plates?

I think, as Elk says, the court didn't think this through; there are too many times when nature will obscure those plates and it's hardly worthwhile, nor particularly safe, to stop and clean them off. Hell, just having a cop pass you and splatter you with slush could do it. NOW what?

The problem really is that we have too many cops relative to the amount of crime. Crime has dropped to just a third of what it was 30 years ago, yet we have more cops today than ever. So they look for ways to justify their jobs.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM

82 posts, read 200,651 times
When living in WA, I recall our neighbor being cited for dirt/salt/scum obscuring the rear plate. Prior to that, I'd never given it much consideration.

Perhaps automatic plate-wipers?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
It's a good excuse to stop someone, run them and see if they have warrants, and so on. In this case they had a DUI as well as a snowy license tag. When they stop the mayor or some rich guy possibly the outcome will be different in regards to the snowy license plate infraction. Its hardly realistic when its snowy, windy or just messy out to know for sure if the plate is clear. The court OK'd the stop cuz it turned out to be a DUI. Now watch someone come out with a wiper to keep plates clear.

They love to stop people with paper tags. This was in Nebraska, I'd just bought the car, the vehicle had a rear tinted window, they claimed they could not see the tag. Funny I could stand back and read it clearly from some distance away. I was polite and my tag was valid and that was it. But it did irritate me as it was clear that was simply an excuse to check me out.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Exactly -- and that's been the debate in the courts, to what extent are these stops just fishing expeditions?

Used to be that was no excuse, and any "evidence" collected was invalidated by the unwarranted stop. Not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana