Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 PM

42 posts, read 265,871 times

Advertisements

My husband's job will be taking us to Great Falls in a few months, and I have many questions... if only I can remember them all long enough to post them!

1. My parents live 30 miles from a large airport and I can hardly sleep from all the planes going over at night. Is there a lot of noise pollution from the airport in GF? It seems awfully close to some of the residential areas...

2. I will be moving with my husband, a 2-1/2 year old, and a 1 year old. I would like to live in an area where neighborhood kids are close to play with. Where you can walk down the street without getting run over or feeling unsafe. Where the schools are good and the neighbors friendly. I've seen recommendations for areas to rent, but not to buy, and that's what we'll be doing. (It's job-related.) Any particular neighborhoods I should seek/avoid?

3. Without any research, we have discussed looking for a 1/4- or 1/3-acre lot, single-story with basement for storage, 1800 sq. ft., 3 br, 2.5 bath home. Hardwood floors would be nice. Built within last 10 years. Can we find this for around $200 without leaving the city limits? If not, what can we expect?

4. What is the learning curve for learning to drive in the snow? My husband grew up in the south and thinks drifts of 2 feet are impressive. I grew up with some snow, but didn't start driving until we moved south. Do they offer remedial snow-driving courses at the college?

5. This doesn't affect any decisions, just curious. Can you see any mountains from the city, or do you have to drive out for a bit before they're visible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times
I'm not terribly familiar with GF but I am familiar with the state as a whole so I'll take a stab at these questions.

1.) No, I don't think so. Again, not familiar with this particular airport, but most airports in Montana are very close to residential areas. The planes that fly in and out are smaller and don't make as much noise as a 747, 757, etc. My mother lives a mile from Helena Regional Airport and cannot hear a thing. I'd guess GF airport is similar.

2) Not sure - sorry.

3) Probably, you can find something like that for $200,000. GF is still very affordable. In some other areas of the state - notably Bozeman - what you're looking for would run you $500,000+ but not in GF.

4) I don't think driving in the snow is hard at all. Just take it slow. I always have a mini-shovel and some kitty litter (for traction) in the trunk just in case. Road crews are generally very good at keeping on top of things and your fellow drivers will be a lot more adept at driving in the snow than down South, so driving in 3 inches of snow is a LOT easier here than down there.

5) Yes, you can make them out, but just barely.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 21,703 times
I my self live outside of greatfalls about an hour away, although my daughter and husband live there. you are going to have some planes, not only from the airport but also from the airforce base. but if I remember its not too bad. has far has the area goes I my self perfer past 32nd street closer to the base. the rough area is closer to uptown. Iam not to familiar with the west side but I know they have some nice homes there. you will I'm sure can find a place under 200,000. has far has driving in the snow just take it slow. its not so bad has far has the mountains, there's not a whole lot to look at around greatfalls. your basically on a mountain. I live in a small town more in the country and I really like it. good lck I hope everything turns out ok.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM

46 posts, read 214,277 times
We used to live there and are moving back in a few months.
Winters are a piece of cake, just go slow. Get a FWD if UR chicken.
Airport noise from the Air guard is LOUD but not all that often. MAFB has no planes. The Air Guard is stationed on Gore Hill at the airport. F-16's are not quiet!! (about 15-20 seconds/plane)
$200K should not be a problem for a home but maybe you should rent first for a few months. We lived in the Fox Farm area but there are not many places I would say are "bad". Many new homes are out in that Fox Farm area you should look at.
All in all, GF is a nice safe place to raise kids. Good garage sales too!
Happy Hunting and the fishing is excellent.
John

Old 11-27-2007, 05:24 PM

13 posts, read 55,755 times
I'm not sure if you are still needing some advice, but here goes.
1. I've known people to live near the airport. It's not super busy, and they never complained about noise.
2. The east end of town, Fox Farm, and Riverview areas are good. Fox Farm has Meadowlark Elem. which has good reputation. It is one of the larger schools in town. The east end has Morningside , Lewis and Clark, and Chief Joseph. All three are good schools. I can personally say that Morningside has a very strong family atmosphere. The principal knows every student and family by name. It is a smaller school, about 300 students K-6. We loved our experience there. Lewis and Clark and Chief Jo are also good schools. Riverview area has Sacajawea and Riverview Elem. Both are good schools. The last I heard, GFPS was thinking about reopening an elem. school in that area, because so many young families are building there. Stay in any of those areas and you can't go wrong. They all have neighborhood parks.
3. Get with a realtor to find a house. The good ones go fast. We sold ours in 1 1/2 days. It was 15 years old 2100sq.ft. large lot. If you need one, I can recommend one.
4. I moved to GF from NM. I learned quickly. The most important thing is take it slowly, even if you do have 4wheel drive.
5. The Little Belts are to the east and the closest. Skiing is an hour away at Showdown. There are mountains to the south and west also, not as easy to see unless you live on the north side of town (Riverview area).

Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,560 times
Hey, we are actually selling our house here for under $200,000. Its a four bedroom with a view of the city, which is rare to get for this price range. If you would like more information you can just reply and I'll send you the MLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana