Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times

Advertisements

Can you hear a "Minnesota" type accent in places like Plentywood, Glasgow and Glendive? Or does this not exist until you cross over into North Dakota? I've heard some towns in eastern Montana, especially the northeast were largely settled by Scandinavians and you can still find lutefisk there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
You can find Lutefisk and Lefsa all over the state.

Lots of scandinavians settled in Montana, but I wouldn't characterize the accent as midwestern as much as along some of the highline, there are definite Canadian characteristics.

If you look at charts of accents, Montana usually is either classified as west coast or Rocky Mountain.

American Dialects : Dialect map of American English

[SIZE=5]Western Dialects:[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]
Compared with the Eastern United States, the Western regions were settled too recently for very distinctive dialects to have time to develop or to be studied in detail. Many words originally came from Spanish, cowboy jargon, and even some from the languages of the Native Americans: adobe, beer bust, belly up, boneyard, bronco, buckaroo, bunkhouse, cahoots, corral, greenhorn, hightail, hoosegow, lasso, mustang, maverick, roundup, wingding.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Rocky Mountain[/SIZE] [SIZE=3](13)
Originally developed from the North Midland and Northern dialects, but was then influenced by the Mormon settlers in Utah and English coal miners who settled in Wyoming. Some words that came from this dialect are kick off (to die), cache (hiding place), and bushed (tired). They also call jelly doughnuts bismarks.[/SIZE]

Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You can find Lutefisk and Lefsa all over the state.

Lots of scandinavians settled in Montana, but I wouldn't characterize the accent as midwestern as much as along some of the highline, there are definite Canadian characteristics.

If you look at charts of accents, Montana usually is either classified as west coast or Rocky Mountain.

American Dialects : Dialect map of American English

[SIZE=5]Western Dialects:[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]
Compared with the Eastern United States, the Western regions were settled too recently for very distinctive dialects to have time to develop or to be studied in detail. Many words originally came from Spanish, cowboy jargon, and even some from the languages of the Native Americans: adobe, beer bust, belly up, boneyard, bronco, buckaroo, bunkhouse, cahoots, corral, greenhorn, hightail, hoosegow, lasso, mustang, maverick, roundup, wingding.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Rocky Mountain[/SIZE] [SIZE=3](13)
Originally developed from the North Midland and Northern dialects, but was then influenced by the Mormon settlers in Utah and English coal miners who settled in Wyoming. Some words that came from this dialect are kick off (to die), cache (hiding place), and bushed (tired). They also call jelly doughnuts bismarks.[/SIZE]

According to that map, Bismarck and Cleveland have the same accent lol.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Hey, I just gave you the link and what that study says, I didn't do the study myself!

Some people do have accents, no question, but to my mind in the towns you listed, they sound a lot more Canada than Minnesota.

Mostly it has to do with how they say words like "about" or the one that gets me is saying "garaaage" or "gare-adge" instead of "Gr-radge" for the word garage, or the most prevelent, "Shop".

There are a lot of people of German, Welsh, Serb, Croat, British and Irish heritage as well. All have thrown something in the pot, but I don't notice a pronouced accent like the North East or South.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 AM

30 posts, read 51,876 times
I have cousins and a brother in North Central MN.
Spend a quite a bit of time visiting those folks both here and in MN.
They seem to speak a lot like Canadians, MAN ther accents are Waaaay far off from ours in North Central MT.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
My old boss was from MT. She didn't have a traditional MN accent, but she definitely pronounced things with flat vowels. "bag" pronounced like "beg".

Old 04-05-2014, 04:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Can you hear a "Minnesota" type accent in places like Plentywood, Glasgow and Glendive? Or does this not exist until you cross over into North Dakota? I've heard some towns in eastern Montana, especially the northeast were largely settled by Scandinavians and you can still find lutefisk there.
There is definitely a Scandinavian influence in that part of Montana and no shortage of lutefisk to be had, but I haven't noticed a Minnesota accent in people from there.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
I grew up in that part of Eastern Montana and yes it is more ethnically and culturally connected with North Dakota and Minnesota than the rest of Montana. Most of the immigrants came from Germany, Scandinavia and Ethnic German communities in Russia VIA The Dakotas and Minnesota. So yes the accent is similar or same as North Dakota.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:42 PM

260 posts, read 239,416 times
I lived in Billings for a few years (age 12-14) and I remember a few of my friends having accents. It wasn't with everything they said but they would pronounce words such as "bag" like "bay-g"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana