Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM

8 posts, read 19,285 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum for some time now and read a lot of conflicting views of Montana. My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Montana or Wyoming in the next 3 years. We will both be retired then and have a good retirement income so jobs and wages are not an issue. We have lived in Texas all our lives. Specifically on the gulf coast where the summer temps are usually in the high 90s to low 100s with 90% humidity and 100% mosquitoes. The winters are usually in the 40s, maybe on an extreme winter day in the high 20s. (that usually last about a day). Our winters also only last about 2 to 3 months. We are planning on visiting the state a couple of times prior to moving and are going to rent a place for about 6 months during the winter to see if we can actually survive it. It seems from reading this forum that the weather in Montana varies quite a bit, depending on where you live. I love the outdoors and am outside as much as possible. I walk 5 miles a day and bike when possible. I also like working in the yard and fishing. I am looking for suggestions as to which part of Montana we should be looking at. I have had a couple of people tell me we should look at the cities located in the valleys because their winters are not as harsh. It doesn't make any difference about the summer heat. Nothing can be as hot as we live in now! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 AM

606 posts, read 1,978,038 times
I'm not there yet, but from what I have learned, south central Montana has the most moderate winters. That said, look forward to a long winter season with very short days and long nights, occasional -30, not too much snow that melts between snowfalls, and wind that at first will make you want to tuck tail and head for Texas!!

I have good news though, you WILL acclimate! I moved from Florida to the mountains of North Carolina back in 1999. It took about two years for my body to adjust. Living in the Appalachians at 3000' or higher is about the same climate as Northern Maryland. In Boone, NC a couple of years back we got more snow than Billings got last year, and that was an all-time record for Billings! I have lived and worked winters in Blowing Rock, NC and we routinely had negative teens. The wind in that area begins blowing in October and doesn't quit until April!

In Florida, 62 degrees had me running for a sweater. Now I'm comfortable down to 54 in a tee shirt. I don't think I'll have any trouble with winter in Billings.

You will love Montana! The 90's at the peak of Summer will feel cool to you because of the low humidity. The nature, outdoor activities, the FISHING, and the incredible natural beauty will more than make up for the winter. After a couple of years, once you're acclimatized, you won't miss Texas at all.

That said, you'll need to learn how to dress for the weather, when to cover up skin (wind chill), how to drive on snow (not bad in the flat areas), and be prepared for life threatening weather emergencies. Keep a winter kit in the car, know what to do if you get stuck overnight in your car, keep a cache of supplies at home (like a hurricane kit) for electrical outages, have a non-electric heat source like a wood stove or propane, and know your limitations. Even if the locals are going about their business in a blizzard doesn't mean you can! It takes time and experience to deal with northern winters.

Life is short. Just do it! You will be just fine. See you in Montana!!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 AM

21 posts, read 35,683 times
Default Flathead Valley

Hi dgaines56!
YES you will get all kinds of conflicting views on this forum. I guess that is what it is all about. Everyone gets to share their personal opinion. Congratulations on your retirement in 3 years! My wife and I have 5 more years, God willing. We already have a house in the Flathead Valley that we enjoy often. You really are doing the smart thing by checking it all out first and even renting for 6 months. Some people can take the winters and others can't. Every winter seems to be a little different. Some harsher than others. I personally don't think they are as bad as some say but then again I don't mind the cold weather and come to find out life does go on in the winter. My in-laws and my son and his wife have all moved there from California. They have been there for over 5 years and love it! My son and wife did try coming back to California to give it a go but they only lasted 4 months and went RUNNING back to Montana vowing never to come back to CA again! LOL! Now the summers albeit dry sometimes feels like the sun is right on top of you. I personally don't like that but what I do like is that the nights always cool down nicely. Some people call the Flathead Valley the "banana belt" in which I don't really get. I think it has something to do with Flathead Lake keeping it a little warmer than other areas of Montana during winter. Someone who knows can correct me on this. I think you should check out the Flathead Valley. It has a lot to offer especially if you are retired and financially set. You have lots of options for living rural, living in town or in-between kind of like where we are. There is a lot of shopping and lots of outdoor activities. The people are very friendly regardless of what some people say on the forum. It helps to be involved in a church where you have a lot of opportunity to meet a lot of supportive people. Good luck and God bless!

Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
I'm in somewhat the same boat as you. I figure my retirement is three and a half years away. Might be sooner, but most likely not later. I did visit last winter. Figured if I was seriously considering moving to the northern Rockies, I need to be there in winter to see how I cope. (The cold didn't bother me much, only when when in the wind.)

If you visit this coming winter, it is possible that it will be an abnormally dry winter. It depends on if the current El Niño episode persists into the winter and either strengthens or weakens over the coming months. Too soon to tell what it will do.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:10 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadBrad View Post
...It helps to be involved in a church where you have a lot of opportunity to meet a lot of supportive people...
Wholeheartedly agree with this statement. It only took three visits to a small church in Three Forks before I felt that I was totally accepted as part of the family. And, they even knew that I was from, (cough, cough), California and was visiting the area with the purpose of scoping it out as a retirement location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana