Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,132 times

Advertisements

Looks like a nice little town, close to Columbia falls, etc. Does anyone know details of the town? Looking to relocate and it's on my list,, being close to Glacier. I checked it out on Google and the strip of businesses looks promising for tourist. What about the churches, I see LOTS of churches...? Curious if newcomers with a business will be welcomed, those who want to contribute to the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 10:14 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
500 people at last count, down almost 50% in 10 years. Dont know if it has stabilized or is still falling. Conservative. Reported crime is close to average.1/3rd are retirees. Lots of low incomes. Lot of snow that tends to stick around.

Business? I'd pick type carefully. Local trade that happens is probably already covered by locals patronized by people who know them. The half of population still there. Much of shopping is probably done in the bigger towns and it may be hard to buck that. Tourist season is probably pretty short (4-6 months mainly) and may be covered too in terms of what sells. But make your own assessment of market, competition, risk / prospects.

Lots of low priced homes. Probably a lot of old mobile homes.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-13-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-13-2021, 08:46 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDionysis View Post
Looks like a nice little town, close to Columbia falls, etc. Does anyone know details of the town? Looking to relocate and it's on my list,, being close to Glacier. I checked it out on Google and the strip of businesses looks promising for tourist. What about the churches, I see LOTS of churches...? Curious if newcomers with a business will be welcomed, those who want to contribute to the community.
Not much there and you can't eat scenery. That area of Montana is EXTREMELY conservative and will be wary of outsiders. Not to say you wouldn't be accepted.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:23 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I lived in HH 1950 to 1959. Went back many years later, even bought property. Left after a few years, sold the property, have no plans of ever going back.
It has been said many times, "You can't go home again!" It is very true, especially when "home" no longer exists; even the house we built and lived in is gone!
The town has changed a lot. There used to be a theater, a hotel, a Mobil gas station, a Standard gas station, a Phillips 66 gas station, a drug store, a grocery store, several bars/taverns, a supper club (now a church), 3 rather nice restaurants, a shoe repair shop, an auto shop, etc.

Now, there is one bar, the drug store has become a grocery store, there is one gas station/convenience store and that is about it.
Many people commute to Columbia Falls or Kalispell for work or shopping. the major employer in town seems to be the Forest Service.
Re-reading this post, I should not have mentioned the theater. It collapsed due to excessive snow load in the late 1940s and was never rebuilt.
Of course, the OP is not me. There may be something still there for that person or family. check it out, you might like it.
Good luck.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:32 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
That area along Hwy 2 is not terribly desirable, between the insane traffic during peak season, and it's ability to attract what we call 'canyon critters' (aka meth-heads). Fair bit of crime in that area, Martin City seems to have more than usual ... drugs, theft, etc. This Valley is losing it's soul more and more every day with the amount of people moving in.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:01 AM

4 posts, read 7,132 times
Thank you "ALL" for your honest opinion. I was looking at a business that was for sale there. I'd bring a restaurant atmosphere to the area and was wondering if Tourist population was enough to share with everyone. After checking it out on google earth and looking at what businesses were in town, I didn't think I would affect any ones livelihood, but I was hoping the Park would bring in summer/fall business.

It is truly unfortunate what Shuffler described what is called Canyon Critters. We have those in Utah, also. I've been in Utah for 20 years and I need out. With Children almost ready for college, I thought it would be good to find my peace of mind and I love that area. I am not political, just a normal American who knows right from wrong. Sometimes I don't understand how Conservatives and liberals (funny they like to label themselves) can't figure this out.

Like Utah, you have the same thing Local trade that happens is probably already covered by locals patronized by people who know them," as NW Crow stated. That is always the hardest thing to assimilate with. I saw the bar and the pictures online. It is situated close to the place I was thinking of purchasing and unfortunately when tourist come through town I was worried they might have a difficult time bringing there children so close to an establishment that serves. You know how it can be.

I did see motels, lots of christian churches and camps.I wasn't sure if they was an outlet for locals or just christians who vacationed.

To say the least (I've said a lot!), I wasn't sure I would get so many post about such a small town, and I am truly appreciative to you all for your honestly.

Thank you so very much.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:34 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
That area along Hwy 2 is not terribly desirable, between the insane traffic during peak season, and it's ability to attract what we call 'canyon critters' (aka meth-heads). Fair bit of crime in that area, Martin City seems to have more than usual ... drugs, theft, etc. This Valley is losing it's soul more and more every day with the amount of people moving in.
Methamphetamine problems very widespread throughout Montana.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:03 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,064 times
I live in Kalispell. HH might be a good place for a seasonal business, but I wouldn't want to live there. Pretty remote and plenty of the rough crowd live there. I drive through there dozens of times every year.

Columbia Falls is nicer to live, and booming right now.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:43 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Methamphetamine problems very widespread throughout Montana.
Of course ... it's not called "Methtana" for nothing ...

Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffler View Post
of course ... It's not called "methtana" for nothing ...
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana