Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Mountain Surfer's photos and blog about Pfeiffer beach really intrigued me. The purple sands are caused by garnets in the rock matrix of the hills above the beach that wash down the creek in the rain. Pfeiffer is the only purple sand beach in the world. Here's a spectacular photo I found on the internet, showing two shades of purple. If anyone has their own photos to add, by all means, share.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Nice photo. I have a funny story related that. I head down to Pfeiffer to shoot the sunbeams through the Sea Cave. It draws a lot of spectators and tourists. It's actually quite amazing how many non-US citizens find this beach off the beaten track. This year I met a women from China who said she drove all the from Los Angeles after flying into the US just to see the purple sand! She had seen pictures like the one you referenced here on the internet while in China and was determined to see the only purple sand beach in the world.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-13-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 08:49 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Nice photo. I have a funny story related that. I head down to Pfeiffer to shoot the sunbeams through the Sea Cave. It draws a lot of spectators and tourists. It's actually quite amazing how many non-US citizens find this beach off the beaten track. This year I met a women from China who said she drove all the from Los Angeles after flying into the US just to see the purple sand! She had seen pictures like the one you referenced here on the internet while in China and was determined to see the only purple sand beach in the world.
At what time of day do the sun beams beam through the sea cave? And what's a good time of day for capturing the color on the beach?

Old 02-14-2015, 12:24 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
At what time of day do the sun beams beam through the sea cave? And what's a good time of day for capturing the color on the beach?
Ruth, this is an annual event that is best during Winter solstice based on the angle of the sun - azimuth. It can still be good the month before or after. The sun shoots through the cave close to sunset. I'm not sure about the beach sand as I haven't really payed much attention to it until I met that women from China during this last solstice.

Derek

Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 PM

124 posts, read 141,813 times
One of my favorite pastime is to drive down PCH1. I usually spend the night in Big Sur. This is where I usually stay.

This is not a place to have wild and crazy parties. They have strict rules you must follow in order to be allowed to experience the peaceful tranquility.

Quote:
New Camaldoli Hermitage. Founded in 1958 by a group of Benedictine monks, the Big Sur, California hilltop monastery is a silent refuge for laypeople too. The rooms are strictly, well, monastic, but solitude and breathtaking ocean views (not to mention rock-bottom prices) put serenity within reach. From $110/person, including meals.

Here are some pics of their rooms. It's simple rooms with minimal amenities.

Community Kitchen

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County