Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 PM

15 posts, read 38,859 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

We are a marriage with twin toddlers that will move to Québec. We received our Cértificat du Sélection de Québec and we are now in the process of getting the Permanent Residence visa. By the way we currently live in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Most likely we will settle in the Montreal area, due to job opportunities. I have experience in supply chain, operations, and marketing, and I speak Spanish (native), English, French, and Portuguese. My wife also speaks Spanish (native), English, and basic French.

We are looking for a calm neighborhood, family-friendly (considering our children are now 2 years old), safe, affordable, but not completely isolated from the city. We have been suggested Laval as a good option.

Can anybody give us some advice/suggestions on what neighborhoods would we should look at considering our situation?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
I think one of the main considerations should be whether you will have a car or not.

If you do not have a car, then you should try and live fairly close to a métro station: Plan du métro

This will make your life a lot easier. Note that the métro does run to suburbs like Laval and Longueuil as well, but not to all areas of these suburbs.

There is also a commuter train network (trains de banlieue), but it is not as dependable for getting around at all times of the day or week. It is mostly for people who go to work downtown between 7 and 9 am, and then go back home to the suburbs between 4 and 6 pm.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM

Thank you for the comments Acajack.

We're planning to have a car, that's for sure. But we also know it's very convenient to live close to a metro station. We already pictured that, and we know we have three metro stations in the Laval area. If we chose Laval it would be close to one of those stations.

Thank you for the details on the "train de banlieue". We'll keep that in mind.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,591,451 times
Welcome to Canada. Here's to you, your wife and children. May you all be richly blessed in this beautiful land.

Remember this, come November put on long underwear and wear them until May. Southern people just don't seem to know the benefits of wool. Wool sweaters and hats are very warm and these garments allow you to enjoy the beautiful winter wonderland that Quebec is.

My daughter in Law is from Mexico city and was always complaining about being "TOO COLD". Her and my son live in Vancouver and it's not even cold there compared to the rest of Canada. I got her wearing wool and now she's warm and toasty. She thought cotton would keep her warm. LOL

PS, The long underwear, it's cotton. Wool ones would be too ichy for sure.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Welcome to Canada. Here's to you, your wife and children. May you all be richly blessed in this beautiful land.

Remember this, come November put on long underwear and wear them until May. Southern people just don't seem to know the benefits of wool. Wool sweaters and hats are very warm and these garments allow you to enjoy the beautiful winter wonderland that Quebec is.

My daughter in Law is from Mexico city and was always complaining about being "TOO COLD". Her and my son live in Vancouver and it's not even cold there compared to the rest of Canada. I got her wearing wool and now she's warm and toasty. She thought cotton would keep her warm. LOL

PS, The long underwear, it's cotton. Wool ones would be too ichy for sure.

Thank you for your kind message and recommendations lucknow! We'll keep them in mind.

I know what you mean about the Canadian winter. I lived in Ottawa for 2 years, during my post graduate studies. So I know what those freezing temperatures mean. My wife is a little worried about it, but with some warm clothes as you suggest, we should be fine. We'll miss the sunny warm mornings, but we truly love Canada and the cold is part of it.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabaza View Post
We'll miss the sunny warm mornings, but we truly love Canada and the cold is part of it.
Well, you will get some sunny warm mornings here as well. Just not during the whole year!

It was 22 C when I had breakfast outside at 7 am here in Gatineau (across from Ottawa) and the temperature in Montreal was likely about the same. We are heading for a maximum of 33 with a humidex of 42 in southern Quebec today.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
Whats actually drawing you to Laval? its basically a huge area full of bungalows and urban sprawl and anywhere you go its traffic chaos, give some thought to areas closer to the downtown core such as Lachine,Lasalle,Verdun,NDG..
Your best bet is to move to a vicinity close to wherever you land a job..

Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Whats actually drawing you to Laval? its basically a huge area full of bungalows and urban sprawl and anywhere you go its traffic chaos, give some thought to areas closer to the downtown core such as Lachine,Lasalle,Verdun,NDG..
Your best bet is to move to a vicinity close to wherever you land a job..

Thank you for your comments. Not sure if those areas would be a good choice considering we have a couple of toddlers.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
Quote:

Thank you for your comments. Not sure if those areas would be a good choice considering we have a couple of toddlers.
Those areas i suggested are some good areas that have easy and diverse ways to get downtown,where many kids go to many schools, and you can actually get by with no car at all if you so choose.Laval??you gotta see it before you buy a house there.
However until you know where you are working giving advice on where to live is missing a major piece of the puzzle...
Congratulations by the way on your acceptance into Canada,not an easy task for many..

Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Laval is actually a very family-friendly place, especially if you have a car. This is true of most suburbs of Montreal. Although the city itself is not unfriendly to families either, contrary to what some people might say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal