Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM

152 posts, read 567,211 times

Advertisements

I created a thread here about wanting to come to montreal from nyc. I found the place that i will most likely rent. Its about $1000/month furnished studio that includes everything. However, i had checked kjkiki for people who want to sublet their apartments because ppl say renting a sublet is cheaper. Well i found ppl subletting those same apartments in the buildings near the one that i wanted to rent. They seem to be renting it for $700/month and only for 2-3 months. I think ppl who sublet their apartments are almost always students correct? I also hear subletting is very very common in canada especially montreal?

Would you say its worth it renting a sublet from someone for $700 vs $1000 from the actual apartment realtor? They told me they do month to month so i would pay 1000/month and whenever i want to leave, i have to give them xx day notice etc. I'm planning to stay between 3-6 months though there is a chance i might leave after 1 month or 2. Would you say subletting is good idea to save money as oppose to renting from the landlord?

Like if you do 3 months, it would be $2100 vs $3000 so that is a pretty price differential. I'm from nyc and here subletting is sort of illegal so Im not familiar with it. But does anyone feel a bit weird renting someone else's apartment? The same that can be said about them renting their apartment to a stranger. Does it feel weird? Like the person you rent to would be sleeping in your bed and vice versa? Then again, if you are renting a furnished studio from the landlord, the bed and stuff there are already used by other ppl but most likely not recently?

Obviously ppl are subletting b/c they aren't going to be in their apartment during the time and want money to pay the rent since they aren't there so their lease doesn't break until they come back right?

Also, does one need to sign paperwork when renting a sublet? Also, anyone feel sublet might be not safe b/c the person allowing you to rent their apartment would have spare keys to the apartment? Also, wouldn't it be problem since usually they sublet for 1-3 month only and after that, you need to find another place to rent?

Would you say subletting an apartment is worth it for the cost savings? $300 a month is a good amt as $700 rent vs $1000 but can it cause lot of headaches/problems? I read an article that said if its your first time doing it, you might as well don't b/c you could have lot of problems.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,919 times
Lessor still liable. Landlords approval first with background check of new tenant wanting to move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal