Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:09 AM

108 posts, read 247,917 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I haven't posted on here in awhile, but I've been keeping up with the forum. I'm an American with a French husband and Franco-American kids. My husband's company is opening a new office in Montreal and I just found out yesterday, that we'll be moving there within the next few months (have to be there by April 2013).

I know the party in Quebec has changed and the PQ is now in office. I also understand the importance of maintaining the French language in Quebec. My question is....is Quebec truly bilingual? I realize this is an ongoing issue, but it looks like it's becoming a segregation movement. One of the positive points in our decision to move to Quebec, was that we could have the best of both worlds. But according to the stories below, Anglos are being targeted aggressively. Ultimately, won't this drive more people (and businesses) out of Quebec? Is the Canadian government able (or willing) to intervene?

This thread is not meant to be anti-French or disrespect anyone, I'm just trying to understand this delicate and complicated situation. Is it as bad as it's being made out to be?

STM workers refusing to speak English to help customers:

Metro workers allegedly refuse to help English speaking customer - YouTube

Paramedic refused to speak English in an emergency situation involving a 2 year old:

Quebec parents say paramedic refused to speak English | CTV News

New language laws infringing on the rights of Anglos in Quebec (involving schools and businesses):

PQ policies to spark Anglo militancy, activist says | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Major retailers suing Quebec over changing English names to French:

Some Quebec stores head to court over language laws - thestar.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 03:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,133,070 times
No, Quebec at least through its government, its public services, and a good deal of its populace are not in any way bilingual. It is actually a funny thought to even associate quebec as a bilingual province.

In fact there are laws in place simply to stifle the growth and continued existence of the english language there, i'd actually call that the opposite of bilingualism. If you'll notice there are actually a few threads right below here detailing how quebec is not the most hospitable place at the moment for primary english speakers to move to.

As for businesses yes many have already been driven away starting decades ago. Montreal was at one time canada's largest and most important business city up until the 1970's.

Finally no the canadian government has no intention at all of intervening. Language laws and such are left to quebec to decide upon. There is a reason the anglo speaking population has had an exodus to other regions mainly ontario.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quebec is in no way officially bilingual,its French. its separatist government is hell bent on the eradication of all things English and would really like to separate from Canada.The Federal government does nothing and doesnt seem to care.
Cant really say whether this will be a problem for you but the French fact of Quebec will be in your face constantly. I see you've posted a few of the recent French/Anglo incidents,doesnt take much deductioning to realize what the French think of the English here in Quebec,We are the Anglo oppressors and must be totally eliminated at all costs No matter how good your French becomes you'll never be accepted as a Quebecker, you'll forever be an outsider/foreigner and not wanted.
As hubby is moving to Montreal for work related reasons i guess you have little choice in the matter.
Lets hope your move turns out to be a more positive experience than my grumpy outlook... Good Luck.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 15,070 times
Why would the Federal government do something? By it's constitution no province has the authority to become independant... Quebec is a province. Even if 100% of the population wanted to get separated, they couldn't. Having referendums and the PQ as a government won't change a thing.

I personally work for a minister of Quebec's government. It is unilingual officialy. Therefore you will be in Montreal and will have trouble speaking only English. I know people who's been living here all their lives and can barely speak French. Some jobs will even hire you. But as an effort of integration (and the same would be for any countries you intent to visit or live in) try to learn some basics to get around. It will be much appreciated.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Montreal is officially unilingual, but bilingual in practice and on the ground. That's not the reality in the rest of the province., which is quite unilingual The official positions are intolerant, but actually living in Montreal you don't really feel the animosity or conflict on a day to day level in your interactions with other people, and Montreal does still have its English institutions like theatres, universities and the like. I actually don't see any of that changing, what's going on now is small potatoes compared to the 90's and the Anglo community that's left will tough it out, as always.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 AM

Bilingualism? not if Marois and the separatists have any say in the matter.
A PQ government would strengthen Quebec language laws within 100 days: Marois - thestar.com

Old 10-29-2012, 02:47 AM

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate the feedback. I managed to find some websites and blogsites of people from the Anglo communities (Pointe Claire, Beaconsfield, etc). Even found some Americans who live there! Most of their stories and experiences were positive. Although my husband will be working in downtown Montreal, I expect we'll be living on the West Island.

If what Felix said is true, then there's no possibility at all of Quebec separating from the rest of Canada. That puts me a bit more at ease. I figure if my husband's company does go belly up in Quebec, perhaps he would still have a chance to get a job elsewhere in Canada. He works in computers, so his job is pretty much in demand.

In the end, I think we're going to go for it. I know there are some negatives, but I think there are far more positives! I mean, we have an amazing opportunity to move to Quebec. I think we would be foolish not to do it!

Because our family is French-American, we speak both English and French. I plan to take more classes to perfect my French (at a good level already), but I think it'll be just fine. If I ever feel out of place, I'll just slip into my "North of France" mode. L'accent du Nord est très forte! ;o)

Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixFelicis View Post
Why would the Federal government do something? By it's constitution no province has the authority to become independant... Quebec is a province. Even if 100% of the population wanted to get separated, they couldn't. Having referendums and the PQ as a government won't change a thing.

Heres how it works
Can Quebec really separate?
Does make it a difficult endeavor for Quebec to legally separate,however whats Canada going to do if Quebec Unilaterally declares itself a separate entity from Canada? I hardly think the rest of Canada is going to care enough to back a bloody civil war with Canada sending in the troops to round up Francophone separatist leaders and having them shot for treason.Canada will do what it normally does concerning Quebec=Nothing.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Montreal is officially unilingual, but bilingual in practice and on the ground. That's not the reality in the rest of the province., which is quite unilingual The official positions are intolerant, but actually living in Montreal you don't really feel the animosity or conflict on a day to day level in your interactions with other people, and Montreal does still have its English institutions like theatres, universities and the like. I actually don't see any of that changing, what's going on now is small potatoes compared to the 90's and the Anglo community that's left will tough it out, as always.
Best post on this thread so far. The incidents you are talking about did happen but they are vastly outnumbered by millions of interactions every single day. The English language media in Quebec and in Canada in general are very fond of blowing out of proportion every single issue related to English-speaking people not being able to live their lives fully in English.

If you are perceived as at least making an effort to speak in French and are not seen as trying to compel people to switch languages (to English) just for you, then the chances are you will have ZERO problems.

As for Quebec separating from Canada, though the odds are it will not happen it is a definite possibility and anyone who tells you otherwise is seriously misinformed. There is even federal legislation called the Clarity Act which spells out how a province can secede from Canada.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Acajack - What both you and Bim said, I found very reassuring. I'm not going there to stand out, I want to integrate. I have no problem speaking French when necessary, I just don't want any issues when me or my children speak English in public. I want us to be accepted. Although I love living in France for many reasons, I'm quite tired of being stared and gawked at when my children and I speak English. At least in Quebec (especially Montreal and the West), people won't be so surprised to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal