Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 AM

304 posts, read 1,425,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
This reminds me of South Africa.
And it should, because the situation that our Native communities find themselves in is deeply shameful.

But then again, you'd rather bang your cane and bip off about how us anglos are mistreated in Quebec. (Oh! The Travesty of the signs!)

Typical smug anglo Canadian attitude towards keeping the spotlight away from the REAL embarrassing issues. Let's just angle any conversation towards the convenient scapegoat - Quebec!

You could probably enlighten us as to what is going on in whatever nothing place that you reside in Southern Ontario - boringest, most American (without the fun!) place in Canada but of course.. there's nothing happening there. As per usual.

Keep posting anglo-exile from 30 years ago - without you, we'd have to hit up the National Post for such enlightened commentary.

Continue to bang that cane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
You are either delibrately ignoring anglo history, or are genuinely ignorant.
Here is something I would like to ask you, why did you move to Quebec when you hate it so much? If you want to erase part of Quebec's culture, you hate Quebec. Anglophones are Quebeckers too and deserve to have English recognised as it once was. What you want is a French-only province, but I'm sorry to inform you this is not Quebec. By angered at one issue isn't dismissing another.

Last edited by pdw; 07-01-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Quote:
I guess because you live closer to the border. I have to drive 2 hours at least to get to the border. I've never seen an American plate here except on trucks.
I live in downtown Toronto and I see plenty of American plates, mostly New York State by far (Buffalo is only a 90 minute drive away), but also lots of New Jersey and Connecticut.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
You are either delibrately ignoring anglo history, or are genuinely ignorant.
Here is something I would like to ask you, why did you move to Quebec when you hate it so much? If you want to erase part of Quebec's culture, you hate Quebec. Anglophones are Quebeckers too and deserve to have English recognised as it once was. What you want is a French-only province, but I'm sorry to inform you this is not Quebec. By angered at one issue isn't dismissing another.
I am not sure than anyone here has talked about a French-only province. (Not sure what that means anyway.)

But certainly a province that is predominantly francophone in its day-to-day functioning is entirely legitimate.

If you look at Canadian history, it's a bit rich for people to tell Quebec today that it can't preserve its francophone character and try and impose some type of wall-to-wall bilingualism on it when for much of Canada's history it was treated as a "French reserve" that francophones were expected to remain in, lest they be assimilated to English in the other provinces if they opted to move there.

So once again, it's previous Canadian federal and provincial governments that effectively created the francophone "reserve" in Quebec and also created the situation today whereby most French Canadians have a strong identification with the province's territory and as Québécois.

And now you're going to tell them that even there, in Quebec, they don't have a right to live in a francophone society, and that unlimited numbers of anglophones can live there (and also move there from the ROC and other places in the world) without even the slightest intent or inclination to learn any French at all to adapt to their surroundings?

Last edited by Acajack; 07-02-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM

What do you mean by "adapt"? Quebec is a bilingual province. To adapt, an anglophone would be bilingual... The vast majority of anglos are bilingual. This isn't about learning French. It's about forcing immigrant anglophone children into French schools when their tax dollars pay for English schools, and forcing French to be the working language of the province, and forcing French to predominate by at least 200% on all signs. This has nothing to do with "learning" French. When you say adapt, you mean Frenchify their lifestyle. I'm sorry to inform you, but anglophones have contributed astronomically to the province of Quebec, and we are owed the right to use the language of our choice

Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by "adapt"? Quebec is a bilingual province. To adapt, an anglophone would be bilingual... The vast majority of anglos are bilingual. This isn't about learning French. It's about forcing immigrant anglophone children into French schools when their tax dollars pay for English schools, and forcing French to be the working language of the province, and forcing French to predominate by at least 200% on all signs. This has nothing to do with "learning" French. When you say adapt, you mean Frenchify their lifestyle. I'm sorry to inform you, but anglophones have contributed astronomically to the province of Quebec, and we are owed the right to use the language of our choice
In the so-called bilingual nirvana you refer to prior to the 1970s, the vast majority of anglophones in Quebec did not speak any French at all, in spite of the fact they lived surrounded by millions of francophones. So the "enhanced" societal bilingualism of the times was obviously used by a majority of them to eschew the "opportunity" to become bilingual. Most could not be bothered and used English only because it was the easy way out.

Obviously the upsurge in bilingualism among anglophones in Quebec since then is not entirely related to good faith and openness to the "other" (francophone) culture, and has a lot to do with the language laws and policies you are decrying.

You see this very evocatively in Ottawa-Gatineau, where the communites of Aylmer (Quebec) and Rockland (Ontario) both have similar demographics with two thirds francophones and one third anglophones, and yet the bilingualism rate for Aylmer anglophones is two to three times that of anglophones in Rockland.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 AM

There is no proof that language laws relating to signs and business would be responsible for anglophone children learning French. This is just your excuse to continue with horrible, discriminatory laws like Bill 101.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
There is no proof that language laws relating to signs and business would be responsible for anglophone children learning French. This is just your excuse to continue with horrible, discriminatory laws like Bill 101.
Commercial signs are only a small part of this whole issue, and of the policies and legislation.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Commercial signs are only a small part of this whole issue, and of the policies and legislation.
So you'd be in favour of doing away with this aspect of Bill 101? Even you can't deny that Quebec is a bilingual province. Anglophones have been a part of Quebec's culture for over 250 years and deserve to be treated equally under the law in Quebec. An immigrant kid from an English-speaking country shouldn't be forced into a French school when his parents' tax dollars are paying for English schools that their child deserves the right to attend. I would be perfectly happy with the same laws regarding English schools in Quebec that the other provinces have for French schools, but as much as you try and argue that the rules are so similar, I'll bet you'd still be against implementing these laws in Quebec.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 PM

304 posts, read 1,425,714 times
Quote:
So you'd be in favour of doing away with this aspect of Bill 101? Even you can't deny that Quebec is a bilingual province. Anglophones have been a part of Quebec's culture for over 250 years and deserve to be treated equally under the law in Quebec. An immigrant kid from an English-speaking country shouldn't be forced into a French school when his parents' tax dollars are paying for English schools that their child deserves the right to attend. I would be perfectly happy with the same laws regarding English schools in Quebec that the other provinces have for French schools, but as much as you try and argue that the rules are so similar, I'll bet you'd still be against implementing these laws in Quebec.
Sooo.. what are your thoughts on Public and Catholic school funding in Ontario? Religion-based funding is fine, right?

If you are the true champion of Human Rights that you purport to be then... start a thread. If you're just a cane-banger that wasn't intelligent enough to learn a second language then... carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal