Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:40 PM

10 posts, read 25,341 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 years old and I'm currently finishing high school through distance learning. I'm wondering if I moved to montreal how difficult will it be to find a part time job. I can speak french pretty well. Probably at a b1 level, although I'm not sure when it comes to québécois french as I've read that they are almost two different languages. Does anyone have an idea of long it would take me to find a job at somewhere like mcdonalds or shoppers etc?

Also I don't have a french name and because I don't speak french completely perfect and don't have a québécois accent should I be worried about not getting jobs just because I can't complete with other québécois and their dialect of french?

My grammar in both languages is terrible incase anyone was wondering, I'm completely fluent I'm english and its my first language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 10:06 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
If your French is decently conversational then you shouldn't have a problem finding that type of work.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:19 AM

10 posts, read 25,341 times
Are part time jobs easily obtainable? I grew up in Calgary and I know there are a lot of jobs there. I was told that there aren't many jobs available there even if you can speak french well is that true?

Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I'd start here.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...treal+students

Old 09-26-2014, 06:35 PM

343 posts, read 1,314,117 times
Do eligible persons receive financial aid while taking french classes sponsored by the government?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post
Do eligible persons receive financial aid while taking french classes sponsored by the government?
Its possible if you meet the right criteria.
Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Financial aid

Old 09-27-2014, 11:01 AM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spxeli View Post
Are part time jobs easily obtainable? I grew up in Calgary and I know there are a lot of jobs there. I was told that there aren't many jobs available there even if you can speak french well is that true?
It's true. Whether you speak French or not Quebec has one of the highest unemployment rates in Canada. Quebeckers who speak French natively have trouble finding even part time jobs. This is even more true when you compare it to Calgary.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:05 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
It's true. Whether you speak French or not Quebec has one of the highest unemployment rates in Canada. Quebeckers who speak French natively have trouble finding even part time jobs. This is even more true when you compare it to Calgary.
CBC News - Unemployment statistics

Old 09-27-2014, 02:39 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Statistics that state the unemployment increase/decrease percentage for one month don't tell the whole story. And on the whole there are much more job opportunists and lower unemployment in Alberta than Quebec. At the end of the year we will see if this will change but for now Ontario and Quebec still remain one of the few provinces with the highest unemployment rates in Canada. It's just a fact, I know you can still find jobs if you look around but people still have trouble and it can be a struggle finding a job. Even here in Calgary it can get difficult finding work.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:52 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,334 times
There's always work, but it's either people don't want to do it (ie. lower paying or more menial), or it's so specialized if you go to school for it, when you finish the demand's not there. I'm thinking of going to school again - but it's a two year program, and in a field completely outside of what I'm familiar with. They keep saying that there's a demand for skilled trades, stuff that most of us who go through the public school system are discouraged from taking an interest in. We should have a system more like Germany where at a certain point the students are seperated into academic- or trades-oriented schools.

NB there was something on CBC a short while ago: shortage of auto mechanics in PEI - pay's only $20/h, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal