Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:47 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I wish that I could be of more help. I hope that someone else here knows much more than I do, which is nothing. My heart is breaking for you.
But, Dawn, every parent in QC is in the same situation.

Quote:
Childcare

The child care system in Quebec is highly regulated. A government permit is required to operate a daycare, based on the number of hours the service is offered, and on an approved number of places for different age groups. In Quebec, the following types of daycare exist:

Child Care Centres

"Centres de la petite enfance" (CPEs) Subsidized by the government at a cost to families of $7 a day per child, CPEs usually have long waiting lists of up to 2.5 years. The waiting period may vary depending on the child’s age. To find a CPE close to your residence, and get on various waiting lists, please consult the Quebec’s Ministère de la famille child-care locator as soon as possible.

Private Day Care Centres or "Garderies"

Although the daily charge is considerably higher than at a CPE, you may be eligible for a tax credit for child-care expenses. For more info on private daycares, please consult the website of the Association of Private Daycares in Quebec.

Home Day Care

"Service de garde en milieu familial" These may be government subsidized and affiliated to a coordinating office (or “Bureau Coordonnateur”). For contact info or a list of coordinating offices, please consult the website of the Coopérative de services enfance famille.

Daycares in a family environment can also be private, in which case they are not affiliated with a coordinating office. In these cases contact information can be obtained from the following website.
Preschools (age 2 to 5) Preschools are typically available mornings or afternoons, for a minimum of two (2) or three (3) days a week. Rates are similar to those of private daycares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 23,300 times
Dear DawnMTL,

Dont worry, you indeed did help me. You wont believe, I have met and talked with people who wasnt even ready to listen to me.

I am very happy to have found this website and really thankful to you all for the help and feel a bit relaxed.

I always try my best in what ability I could and I believe strongly that some one in the universe knows all the answers for all my questions and that someone will help me find a way through many helping minds.

Its like the law of karma, All the goodness you send out to others will come back to you multiplied ten thousand times. Its just because what we perceive-of as "others" are nothing but reflections of our inner mind. O gosh, I am becoming a bit philosophical. In essence, please accept my sincere thanks for helping me....

Regards,

Bionts.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:55 PM

Dear Nuala,

Thanks a lot for your help regarding the schooling for the kid.

This is helpful for me.

Regards,
Bionts

Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noospirit View Post
Dear DawnMTL,

Dont worry, you indeed did help me. You wont believe, I have met and talked with people who wasnt even ready to listen to me.

I am very happy to have found this website and really thankful to you all for the help and feel a bit relaxed.

I always try my best in what ability I could and I believe strongly that some one in the universe knows all the answers for all my questions and that someone will help me find a way through many helping minds.

Its like the law of karma, All the goodness you send out to others will come back to you multiplied ten thousand times. Its just because what we perceive-of as "others" are nothing but reflections of our inner mind. O gosh, I am becoming a bit philosophical. In essence, please accept my sincere thanks for helping me....

Regards,

Bionts.
You're making me cry again, Bionts, but that's okay.

I'm a strong believe in karma. And what you said about it reminds me of something that the chairman of my old company -- he's also from India -- said when I said nice things about his son. He said, "You only see in others what you already have in yourself." That's stuck with me for, oh, it's been more than 20 years.

I didn't know it was the same situation for every parent in QC -- I don't have children. I suppose if I had children, I could be of more help with your situation.

It looks like Nuala knows what's going on, though. Thankfully. I hope that she can get to the bottom of your problem and find a solution for you.

Best of luck to you and your family. Actually, best of EVERYTHING to you and your family.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times
Hi,

I am not sure if you went to this website :[url=http://www.magarderie.com/]Ma Garderie - Services de garde - Québec, Montréal, Laval, etc.[/url]
But it has a lot of options and lists if the day care has spot or not.

I am also an Indian on Temporary visa and found a daycare for my child through this site.
Please dont give up. I visited 22 day cares with my baby, and finally found one which suite all my needs.

I hope you are personally visiting day cares..
Also please apply to the wait list/mailing list too, sometimes a spot gets open and the daycare/CPE mails you back.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Out of curiosity what was your reason for leaving wife and child back in India to come to Montreal for your education? is there a problem with the Universities in India?

Have you tried Craigslist or Kijiji for childcare services?.
http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/search/kid

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-grand-montrea...teLocale=en_CA

Old 03-31-2015, 02:24 PM

123 posts, read 332,524 times
Yes your kid will require TRV for now and study permit once he/she is ready for school. Did you check if your wife can get open work permit? I believe she can since she is married to you and you moved here to pursue PhD.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:03 PM

Hey all,

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I am sorry for the inactivity because of my experiments and study schedules.

I have a small question regarding the temporary resident visa (TRV) for my 2year old child. (To briefly recap (first post in this thread), I am an international PhD student on a study permit already in montreal, canada for more than a year. My wife is also a student on study permit yet to travel with our daughter who will have a TRV at present back in India.
From what I read from cic website is that the TRV is like a visitor visa and that the validity of TRV and the eligible duration of stay are two different things. The TRV might be valid for 3 years but the maximum duration where the child can stay is 6 months. then again we have to extend it by reapplying and repaying.

So my question is, do I have to do this every 6months? If my PhD is for 6-7 years, I will want my daughter and wife here with me and I will do this 14 times????(for each 6months) or say till my daughter goes to school at the age of 5? so I will have to do it 6 times more?. Is this the way to go about this problem. Please let me know.

Catching up with previous questions and thanking others who helped.

palkot - Thanks for the input. I have searched in magarderie and I am visiting day cares in person. I hope something works out well without much delay.

jambo101 - As I mentioned I am doing my PhD in the field of Cancer Biology. There are really good institutes in India, but the project I wanted to pursue for my PhD was not really been undertaken yet in Indian universities or simply put its in its infancy. I have tried Kijijii child cares as well. But I thank you so much for your time and help.

girish - Thanks for the suggestion. I havent had known that my wife could try for an open work permit.

Thanks a lot again for all the help. Please give me some insights about extending or reapplying the TRV(visitor visa) for my 2year old child.

Regards,
Bionts.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 AM

123 posts, read 332,524 times
TRV is not Visitor's visa , it is Temporary Residence visa, its valid until the expiry of your visa. All your Dependent visa's validity is completely based on your study permit/Visa validity. Your wife can get study permit or open work permit. You should go for it so that she can study or work.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 AM

Thanks a lot girish. I hope and really wish everything goes well and be able to stay as family together.

Regards,
Bionts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal