Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 04:37 PM

9 posts, read 7,403 times

Advertisements

Hello, so this will be my first time in Montreal since 2000 when I went to see my favorite baseball team play the now defunct Expos for a weekend series.

Lots of changes since than I know. I wasnt as much into the internet and laptops so lodging will be easier with Couchsurfing or Help X so this is good. I was wondering what are the better areas to find French cuisine; pastries, breakfast meals, snacks?All I saw in the areas I went were pizza chain shops. Not high quality pizza at that, Im from the North East USA and am Italian so I can do with a rest from that.

What are the better areas to frugally shop?--I still can't believe Walmart is in Montreal. If I have to I guess I can resort to that.

I am a single man and I saw first hand the stronger female to male ratio. I didn't flirt too much with the girls than since I was involved yet I encountered several winks and flirts which is more than happens in America for a whole year(especially Las Vegas where I live in the winter). I was wondering if the male gay section is one area or throughout the city. I don't want to come upon any gay bars of course but don't want to wander in to high end clubs as I am not wealthy. Im in my 30's and young at heart but relate well to younger woman and I dont feel out of place in that type of atmosphere. I guess there are no sure answers but I just don't want to waste too much time and money on trial and error.Like are there snobbish /aristocratic sections that will get an air about them if my French isnt good enough?

I have a car but I'd love to use mass transit if I can, is it a good mass transit city? I like to jog everyday are there good park areas. I lift weights frequently are there community gyms or do I have to join a chain? i like music of all kinds and live music is the best. Are there alot of venues that have rock or metal jamming or is it more catch as catch can?

Also internet;are the coffee shops all wi fi enabled? Are most Mc Donalds internet friendly like here?Do I need a pass from the library if I try to log on there.And are bicycles easily accesible and affordable to rent?

I know alot of rambling but my trip is immenant and I want to have the best possible trip this time.Last time I went 15 years ago I felt there was alot I missed that i coulda easily done if I was more informed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 03:51 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,518,741 times
I dont think you'll notice much change from your last trip 15 years ago,probably more traffic congestion/chaos,Ditch the car once you get here you wont need it. the usual areas will not disappoint=Downtown,plateau,mile end, old Montreal etc.
For the most part the big box stores are relegated to shopping malls and plazas in the suburban areas.
I doubt you'll have any trouble with your internet access as almost all fast food joints are wifi equipped.
Parks are in abundance around the island.
Gymns are also in abundance and usually have a charge just for the day.
If you want to rent a bicycle BIXI bike rentals are all over.
Music happens all over Montreal at the Moment the Jazzfest is starting to get going.=
Home - Festival International de Jazz de Montréal

https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...ns+in+montreal

Old 06-20-2015, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 7,403 times
How much per day are the gyms generally?

Old 06-20-2015, 09:38 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,518,741 times
Depending on the gymn its around $10, try the downtown YMCA is $17 per visit but that gets you into everything they also have a monthly pass for $60.
My gymn out in Lasalle is $10 bucks per visit but for the next couple of weeks they are having a special $3.50 for the entire week.
http://www.prestigefitness.ca/

Last edited by jambo101; 06-20-2015 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal